Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2007, 15:29   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Just an Idea

Has anyone ever floated the idea here of some sort of swapping of time on boats in each others cruising grounds?
ie: someone with a boat in Marlbourgh Sounds arranges to host someone with a boat in some other part of the World for a week or so in exchange for a reciprical hosting on the other cruisers boat at another time?

It could work out a cheap way to cruise in some places you have never cruised before and a great way to meet some people you would never otherwise meet.

All the travelling cruiser could be up for is the cost of getting to the other cruisers airport. The hosting cruiser could meet the traveller(s) so no need for a rental or accomodation and look after them for the period of the host.

I reckon it could work quite well.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 15:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Has anyone ever floated the idea here of some sort of swapping of time on boats in each others cruising grounds?
Neighbors of ours did that with houses a few times. It was a club you joined and you arranged for swaps of homes. It worked well for them. It started as a group of teachers with a good geographic spread in US, Canada and Britain. They swaped with someone from southern England but the people that got their house were not the same people but were from England too. So we had different neighbors for a month. Sort of breaks up the monotony of the same neighbors<g>.

Boats are a bit more difficult but I suppose possible. The idea of boat slips has been floated. That does not work too well here as marinas reserve the right to rent your slip when you are away. It would be limited to private slips.

The key to the house club was that you didn't have to do one for one. It was possible for the club to broker the deal and do three way trades. They did deal with cars too so you had a car with the house. There is a way to make the insurance work for cars. With the house club it was a one time fee of $100 US to join. Just to pay the overhead of a hosted web site.

In most ways it needs to be it's own entity and I don't think it could actually be part of the forum. It would be a nice idea though. It is a bit tricky sailing another persons boat if they are not there to get you briefed, but I suppose that too could be handled. If we were to swap and do it at different times then the host could just take the visitor on a cruise then the reverse some other time. Now that would be a lot easier to arrange.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 15:58   #3

Quote:
If we were to swap and do it at different times then the host could just take the visitor on a cruise then the reverse some other time. Now that would be a lot easier to arrange.
That was sort of what I imagined. Members could post about their cruising grounds and what they could offer, then other members could either post or pm them to do the same. I would not expect members to give a bare boat but more host their fellow cruiser for a week or so in exchange for a similar host on their turf.

For example I could meet a cruiser(s) at Wellington airport. Take them home for the night, then to the boat, sail across the Strait from Mana to the Marlborough Sounds for say five nights. Sail around the Sounds showing them the sights, feed them etc and then take them back to Mana and the airport or help them arrange a rental or whatever to see the rest of the Country.
Old 22-06-2007, 16:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Funny you should post this Darryl. I have been thinking the exact same thing.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 16:18   #5

I am sure we would have enough takers for the Sounds to both host some cruisers once we posted some pics of what we have got here.

Would be able to have some good raft ups if we both hosted some members at the same time

I reckon it would be real good. I enjoy taking friends who have never sailed before around the Sounds for a few nights (that's how Marauder got hooked into it and ended up buying Baysflyer). Imagine how cool it would be to take a fellow sailor from some other country and then later get shown around in his boat. Would only cost each the airfare and a bit extra food while you were hosting. Duty free allowance into Wellington is 3 bottles of spirits so even that is taken care of
Old 22-06-2007, 22:46   #6

Boat: Hunter 340 - Whimsey
Sounds like a mighty fine idea to me. And if two people are coming into NZ then that's 6 bottles of Duty Free, or 3 people that's 9 bottles. mmmmm....
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 02:28   #7

Yeah, I could just about start up an on the water bottle store.
Old 23-06-2007, 04:40   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
For example I could meet a cruiser(s) at Wellington airport.
I'll have to start making the arrangements for the tickets.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 15:37   #9

Sounds good.
Old 23-06-2007, 17:50   #10
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder
Sounds like a mighty fine idea to me. And if two people are coming into NZ then that's 6 bottles of Duty Free, or 3 people that's 9 bottles. mmmmm....
A compelling argument to get a bigger boat with more berths.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 17:52   #11
cruiser

This is a FANTASTIC idea, Seafox. I'd certainly be willing to offer up my accommodations in Maine in exchange for a nice NZ cruise. Probably would have to wait a couple years to be able to slip that one into the budget, but it would work out very well.

We have thought about the house swap (leaving the boat at a dock and swapping with people from say... the South of France or something).

There is a lot of great potential to this...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 19:51   #12

Boat: CSY 44 Walkthrough
Check out :
Sailboat Exchange
Old 24-06-2007, 14:37   #13

Quote:
This is a FANTASTIC idea, Seafox. I'd certainly be willing to offer up my accommodations in Maine in exchange for a nice NZ cruise. Probably would have to wait a couple years to be able to slip that one into the budget, but it would work out very well.
Hi Sean,

Do you have airpoints schemes in US? We link our credit card to our Qantas airpoint account. Each dollar we spend gives us that amount of airpoints. Adds up real quick. Both my wife and I have enough airpoints now to travel around the world 1.5 times each.

Other than the airfares this would be a cheap holiday for the guest as the host would cover food, accomodation, transport and boat in his country with his local knowledge etc. The favour would be returned when he became the guest.
Old 24-06-2007, 14:41   #14

Had a look at that site SailnDoug. Looks very interesting. I wonder how many exchanges have been arranged? I reckon we have enough posters/members here to do our own thing.