Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 02:08   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
ILL-winds for Indonesian cruisers

Does anyone know anything about this 5% "refundable cash guarantee"?

Asian Yachting article here.

"ILL-winds for Indonesian cruisers
In stark contrast to official posturing in support of developing Indonesia as a cruise destination, the Indonesian Department of Customs and Excise has suddenly introduced a new regulation requiring visiting yachts to pay refundable cash guarantee equal to 5 percent of the vessel's value. The fee, levied at the yacht's port of entry into Indonesia, will be refunded upon final exit of the vessel from the nation's territory. Raymond T. Lesmana, the chairman Indonesian Sea Lovers Foundation (Yayasan Cinta Bahari Indonesia), complained to Bisnis Indonesia that the new regulation has been implemented without prior warning from the government and at the very time Indonesia is hosting Sail Indonesia 2007, part of a world-wide cruise regatta by sailing yachts. This year the participants of Sail Indonesia 2007 are exempted from paying the guarantee. While the regulation provides for a return of the guarantee at the final port of exit, the exact mechanism for the refund remains unclear, at least at this stage. Bali Marina which hosts a number of visiting yachts has been thrown into some degree of confusion by the new ruling, with many fearing that the armada of yachts at the Marina may soon weigh anchor and leave the country. More on this as it comes to hand."
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I met a cruiser in Malaysia last weekend from the US east coast who says he just came from Indonesia. I can't remember where he entered but he told me he was initially asked to pay 50% of the value of the boat. A sum he was in no way prepared to hand over to anyone.

He had already engaged an agent for his clearances and when the agent showed up a few minutes later the agent basically basically advised the guy to act dumb and keep his trap shut. There was a lot of back and forth in bahasa and eventually 3 different "groups" of officials were involved.

The upshot was he had to sign a piece of paper saying he wouldn't "sell" the boat while cruising through Indonesia. He definitely did not have a good taste in his mouth about it.

I have not seen anything "official" and I have poked around the indonesia gov't websites (waste of time). There are a lot of guys at our club who regularly cruise Indonesia. We are also very interested in trips to Indonesia so I will be getting to the bottom of this pretty soon one way or another.

I'll ask some of the guys "in the know" this weekend and let you know if I get any firm evidence.

BTW - the above example is typical of Indonesia. There may be some central rule that came out but in the boonies no one knows about it, or they interpret it how they want and figure out if they can pocket some cash along the way. If you stonewall the officials eventually they give up and let you pass after filling out some official form or another. This guy was very lucky to have engaged a clearance agent.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:49   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
The old "Official Pirate Trick" eh!!

I hope that "Sail Indonesia" exemtion is still running when I go up, as I had planned to tag along on that as it seemed a relatively easy and safe (if not a bit "vanilla") way of cruising the Indonesia to Langkawi strip.

Sail Indonesia

And yes, they do have stink boats on the entry list.

Dave
Old 05-09-2007, 02:50   #4

Boat: Trismus 37
look forward to more info, it seem that it is the coming thing to dump on cruising yachties
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:39   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
It seems the Indonesian authorities are as entrepreneurial as ever.
Old 07-09-2007, 19:13   #6

Boat: Custom Phinisi Schooner, 21m, KLM Ratu Rima
ILL-winds for Indonesian cruisers

A friend has asked me to comment on this NEWS ITEM, which I am more than pleased to do. Knowing the Indonesian Archipelgo as I do and understanding the Indonesian Governments efforts to "attract" cruising activities in this great archipelgo, I to was also somewhat shocked to her the Media mention of this rule on posting a 5% cash deposit for forgien flagged vessels entering the waters of the Rupublic of Indonesia.

In my capasity as Kapala Bidang Industri Wisata Bahari dan Perkapalan for the Indonesian Marine Tourism Association, GAHAWISRI, we recently asked the Secretary General of the Department of Tourism to identify who and on what premise this rule has been implemented. Our early findings is that no such rule is in place, however the process is still on going and we do expect a written response in the next 30 days.

We have had yachts enter Indonesia, sence this announcement was published by the media and no such demand was made.

Indonesia is a classic example of "pure adventure" for anyone wandering the globe in search of a sailors wonderland. With more than 17,000 islands, numerous cultural influences and sailing in the blood of the people, anyone visiting Indonesia, will find it to be what I refer to as the Best Sailing Ground in this Planet.

The last problem we at GAHAWISRI dealt with was the matter of Cruising Permits. Together with the Department of Transportation and with the assistance on a Presidental Instruction, this long standing rule on visiting yachts was brought to the surface and clearly explained to all interested visitors. The process is simple and effective and if care is taken, not at all an expensive undertaking.

Based on the efforts of Indonesia's neighoring countries like Singapore and Malayasia, Indonesia is without question, the long term beneficiary of any efforts our neighbors undertake to attract visiting yachts. As both of those examples are nothing more that gateways to the Indonesia, which while be the ultimate cruising destination for vessel berthed or transiting the waters of those countries.

Once any yacht has entered the Indonesian Archipelago, prepare yourselves for a long visit. This is a nation as wide and North American and full of wonderful experiences for cruising !

In the event anyone is confronted with problems with Indonesian Authorties as part of an entry process, please feel free to contact GAHAWISRI PUSAT at +62-21-5707157 and ask for Bpk Didin Jusnadi, Secretary Jenderal GAHAWISRI. I assure you that your problem can be solved in less that 48 hours and his command of the English language is excellent.

Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Does anyone know anything about this 5% "refundable cash guarantee"?

Asian Yachting article here.

"ILL-winds for Indonesian cruisers
In stark contrast to official posturing in support of developing Indonesia as a cruise destination, the Indonesian Department of Customs and Excise has suddenly introduced a new regulation requiring visiting yachts to pay refundable cash guarantee equal to 5 percent of the vessel's value. The fee, levied at the yacht's port of entry into Indonesia, will be refunded upon final exit of the vessel from the nation's territory. Raymond T. Lesmana, the chairman Indonesian Sea Lovers Foundation (Yayasan Cinta Bahari Indonesia), complained to Bisnis Indonesia that the new regulation has been implemented without prior warning from the government and at the very time Indonesia is hosting Sail Indonesia 2007, part of a world-wide cruise regatta by sailing yachts. This year the participants of Sail Indonesia 2007 are exempted from paying the guarantee. While the regulation provides for a return of the guarantee at the final port of exit, the exact mechanism for the refund remains unclear, at least at this stage. Bali Marina which hosts a number of visiting yachts has been thrown into some degree of confusion by the new ruling, with many fearing that the armada of yachts at the Marina may soon weigh anchor and leave the country. More on this as it comes to hand."
Schoonerman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 20:12   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Robin,

Many thanks for the excellent post. I plan to print it out and distribute to members at the club here, if that is OK with you. It will dispell a lot of rumor and ill feeling. Because I am Bahasa Indonesia challenged could you translate this title into an equivalent English one?

Kapala Bidang Industri Wisata Bahari dan Perkapalan

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2007, 20:56   #8

Translation of FOC Position to GAHAWISRI

The Title Kapala Bidang Industri Wisata Bahari dan Perkapalan is basicly translated to:

The Person responsible for Marine Tourism Industry Affairs and Boats !

This is an unpaid position, which was "bestowed" (said smiling) on me, bye Bpk Feisol Hashim, a Malayasian / Indonesian man that is the Ketua (elected head) of GAHAWISRI (http://www.gahawisri.org). Bpk Feisol is on the Board of Directors of PATA Indonesia, and hotel owner of the KULKUL Resorts here in Indonesia. GAHAWISRI, consults to the Department of Tourism, Department of Transporation and the Department of Sea Resources * Fisheries of the Republic of Indonesia on matters dealing with all aspects of Marine Tourism. Our scope of interests, reach's into the relationships between SE Asian countries and is constantly trying to address the matter of a seamless cruising ground for Yaching here in our region.

Our long term objectives relate to matters like marina developments and infrastructure developments in small islands throughout the Archipelago. Our relationship with local and regional governments has increased considerably sence the decentralization of the Indonesian Government responsiblities have shifted. We have a wealth of information on investment trends in the Marine Tourims Industry and presently consider the areas of Raja Empat, West Papua, North Maluccous, Morati, Derawan Islands, Komodo, The Tukanbesi Archipelago and Alor as areas worth special attention.

The tone of your last message, suggests (understandably) that corruption is rampant in Indonesia. While this is true to some extent, I provide an informed opinion, that the present Government is making great strides to combat this problem and if you stand up for basic principals on any matter here, you will find that corrupt persons will back off, with out much pushing. As long as your position is correct, you have no need to give into demands for bribes.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any thoughts on this important matter.

Robin
Old 08-09-2007, 00:42   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Thanks for your responses Robin.

I am very keen to venture through Indonesia on my adventures north in a couple of years, and while I understand that in the vast majority it is all good, it only takes a few "bad apples" to put people off.

The fact that you say that the Govt. is addressing the problem can only be a good thing, I hope all issues are sorted and I definetly look forward to cruising your waters unhindered in the near future.

The link provided above did not work for me, but I assume that this is the same or similar as posted?

Gahawisri - Home

Dave
Old 08-09-2007, 04:51   #10

Boat: Lagoon 440
Robin,
Many thanks for your info and defence of Indonesia, a truly beautiful cruising country (particularly in the east), so easily maligned in the press. I lived/worked there for 18 years in the 70's and 80's and will be cruising back there when I am fully afloat after the end of next year. Sure there can be a few problems but usually not insurmountable with reasonable effort.
Sampai jumpa !!
Paul
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:47   #11

Gahawisri - Home
Old 08-09-2007, 10:33   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Robin

Thank you again for your support. I'm sure the site you provided will be bookmarked many times by those of us that have interests in the Southern regions.............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 19:26   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoonerman55 View Post

The tone of your last message, suggests (understandably) that corruption is rampant in Indonesia. While this is true to some extent, I provide an informed opinion, that the present Government is making great strides to combat this problem and if you stand up for basic principals on any matter here, you will find that corrupt persons will back off, with out much pushing. As long as your position is correct, you have no need to give into demands for bribes.
Robin,

Once again many, many thanks for posting. Had a few beers at the club last night and sort of spread the word that there is an excellent resource available to dispel the rumors.

Regarding corruption. I don't really malign any of the governments. I've lived in Asia for 23 years. It's largely economic and driven at the local level. Those that don't know the rules and pay "facilitating" fees are also a big part of the problem.

Knowing the rules and having some reference material handy is a great way to get them to back off. Off course being Asia one has to be careful not to get confrontational or cause any official to "lose face."

I know Indonesia is working hard on the corruption issues and for that I commend them. I visit Jakarta about 3-4 times a year on business and Indonesia is among my favorite Asian countries. In this region Indonesia has the largest number of quality cruising grounds. Helping people figure out how to access them is the key to developing all the infrastrcture.

Nearest to here of course is Nongsa and I understand the marina and docks are getting a full makeover. I hope to get over there in the not too distant future as a launch point to cruise some of the islands south of Singapore. We are always looking for nearby journeys!