Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 19:59   #106

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
When they start calling you "gringo culiado" or "gringa culiada" or "huevon concha su madre", then you have a serious problem.
...one of my favorites is "pinche gringo"...there is even a song w this in the lyrics. I use the expression jokingly w friends sometimes.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:59   #107

Boat: Able 50
Re: How to not look like a Gringo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Cuba still is a destination resort area for many Canadians. When my kids were in college in BC, they regularly went to Cuba on vacation. There were cheap flights on an airline called Wardair, I recall, that flew out of Vancover and Toronto. It was cheap, good food and drink and Cubans were very friendly folks according to my kids.
In those days, the 80's, the US was very strict about citizens travelling to Cuba so a 'Gringo' was much more likely to be Canadian or European than American. Phil
Still the case. Last week there were plenty of " 1 week all up " vacations in Cuba for CAD 550 - 600.

Seriously cheap !
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 01:33   #108

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
This gave me a laugh, because 20 years ago I was wandering around Alcapulco looking for an American tourist to carry my income tax papers back to mail in the US. There were more Canadians than Americans, so after some thought I started talking to the ones wearing white sneakers, as I noticed that the Canadian gringos wore sandals or leather shoes. I hit a retired postal worker from Chicago on the first try...
American sneaker styles are very distinctive. When you start looking, it will almost make you laugh. Almost all Americans wear sneakers when abroad, and there is no question that they are American styles when you compare them to others.

If you really, really don't want to look like a Gringo, don't wear American made clothing. Blue jeans and wide-cut shirts are also dead giveaways.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 02:37   #109
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I don't for the life of me , understand why anyone should disguise themselves trying to look like the locals. Of course , respect their clothing traditions , like dont wear a bikini in a church or a mosque ! . But beyond that , you ARE a foreigner , don't try and fool people.

It has nothing to do with clothes , yes avoid looking like a tramp, but its all to do with attitude. Americans to other cultures can seen loud, brash and demanding , this is because they act like this at home , but no one notices because that's their culture. Equally they know their rights and are not slow in reminding officials of that fact.

However in other cultures this can cause resentment or significant annoyance and hence cause difficulties when these cultures meet. Modify your responses to suit the environment. Don't try and pretend however you are something you're not. ( like an American in Ireland wearing a cap! Etc) discussions about your shoes are irrelevant. Aping the locals just makes you an object of derision.

Dave
Old 17-04-2013, 06:22   #110
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Aping the locals just makes you an object of derision.

Dave

Like these two?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	59346  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:23   #111
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

How about dressing properly while headed to sea as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	59347  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:31   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...one of my favorites is "pinche gringo"...there is even a song w this in the lyrics. I use the expression jokingly w friends sometimes.
Or pinche cabrón but it better be a good friend you're joking with.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:33   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Don't ever wear shorts no matter how hot it is.
Yep, outside of the US, Britian and Australia (or their former colonies), you don't see many countries with men wearing shorts.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:49   #114
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
you don't see many countries with men wearing shorts.
nor do you see them at the helm of yachts either
Old 17-04-2013, 13:27   #115

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

Yep, outside of the US, Britian and Australia (or their former colonies), you don't see many countries with men wearing shorts.
Today I was at the main Customs office in Panama City and there by the front door was a sign which in effect prohibited shorts, sanddles, or other clothing contrary to the rules or "good manners". Im sure many Central American officials think this but its the first time I have actually seen it posted.

Good thing I decided to dress like a big boy today in long pants and real shoes!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 17:45   #116

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

One of my many theories on this is as follows:

In America, we (at least midwesterners) consider style conscious, beauty obsessed people to be "shallow". At the extreme, we will intentionally portray ourselves as plain, sloppy, and styleless as an expression of this principle.

In Central America (or in Miami, at least), that behavior is considered "selfish", or self-centered. It shows that you have no respect for others when in public, and puts you in the same category as beach bums who make nuisances of themselves ruining what is otherwise one of the most beautiful and pleasant places in the world.

Shallow? Selfish? The first time I really understood this, it was mindbending (as a long-time midwesterner). Now, if I happen to walk by a store window and see myself with uncombed hair, sloppy jeans, and dirty sneakers I feel embarrassed - not because I don't believe in being "myself", but because I feel like it is disrespectful to the community - almost as if I had marked a beautiful landmark with an ugly bit of poorly done graffiti!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 22:02   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
In America, we (at least midwesterners) consider style conscious, beauty obsessed people to be "shallow". At the extreme, we will intentionally portray ourselves as plain, sloppy, and styleless as an expression of this principle.

In Central America (or in Miami, at least), that behavior is considered "selfish", or self-centered. It shows that you have no respect for others when in public...
The same certainly goes in France.
The French consider presenting things beautifully makes everyone else's day more pleasant and it is the height of rudeness not taking some effort with your appearance.

I think the key is not to try and disguise we are gringos, but as a visitor to someone's country we need to show some respect for their customs and if that involves altering our appearance, then this effort should be made .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 22:15   #118

Boat: Hylas 47
I wore shorts on an international flight with a pair of long pants in my carry-on to change into before arrival. I forgot and checked the bag. I was the only person in Kuwait City airport in shorts. I felt like a streaker at a baptist picnic.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 22:19   #119

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Don't wear a hat or shorts in a church.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 03:31   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
nor do you see them at the helm of yachts either
Yeah, seeing how easy I can spot foreigners here, or fellow Americans in other countries, I'm not sure there is an easy way to do that.

I do have a friend who is Cuban, but looks like an Arab. He was the only person at a bank in south Miami one day, and while the young female teller was taking care of his business, she was telling the other young teller, in Spanish, in extreme detail, about her sexual escapades of the night before.

He let her run on, speaking to her in English until she was done, and then in Spanish said to her, "You sound like you would be a fun date. Could I get your number?"
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote