Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2016, 18:56   #1

How is sailing Cape Canaveral in a small boat

I'm planning to sail Miami to Charleston, SC and a as wondering what would be the best spot to come in to the icw?
I was thinking Miami to Ft Pierce
Then my question was should I go inside at Cape Canaverl or just a all passed and hop in at ponce inlet which I've been thru once before.
I basically was wondering if the cape had any dangers in that area I might not know of. I'm coastal sailing and stay around 10 miles off coast give or take.
Thanks

Old 13-03-2016, 19:18   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 25
Re: How is sailing Cape Canaveral in a small boat

It is a cruise ship and cargo ship port, although a small one it does see a bit of traffic during the day. As for getting to the ICW there is a lock system so currents wont be an issue, I did hear the locks were under construction and have an odd schedule, you might want to check their operating times.

Old 13-03-2016, 19:24   #3

How is passing on the outside of the cape. Are the tides / waves and rougher or bigger.. I know it's rougher around Cape Hatteras. I was wondering if it applied to the rest of the capes
Old 13-03-2016, 20:03   #4

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Cape canaveral is easy. No special currents like Hatteras. Fairly good bottom fishing if you have the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-03-2016, 20:03   #5

Boat: Formosa 41

I've been around Hatteras and Canaveral a few times and I've never heard anything about Canaveral being bad. To me it's just a little bump out in the coastline to go around.

I do have a friend who figured out that if you're headed north in the ICW south of Canaveral, it's 24 miles shorter to stay in the ICW and pop out at Smyrna, than is is to go out and around Canaveral.
Old 14-03-2016, 08:20   #6

The locks at Port Canaveral can be a pain at times. Be sure to check first. Ponce Inlet has no locks and you can stay in New Smyrna Beach. Nice restaurants in walking distance from the city marina.
Old 14-03-2016, 08:33   #7

Boat: hunter

Stay away from Sebastian The rest are a piece of cake Pompano, Fort Pierce, Canaveral, Ponce, St Augustine . Tide does move quickly at times so check the tables
Old 14-03-2016, 08:33   #8

It can blow pretty good out of the east at times along that stretch of the coast. In settled weather I can't imagine not taking advantage of the Gulf Stream from Miami to north of Canaveral. It's like you're shot out of a cannon and the fishing for pelagic fish is pretty doggone good.
Old 14-03-2016, 08:53   #9

Boat: Nonsuch U30

I would go in at Fort Pierce inlet, it is very near the ICW, and the Ft Pierce city marina is very nice. The ICW north is also very good all the way to Jacksonville.
Old 14-03-2016, 09:28   #10

Boat: Irwin 38 Mk II CC 38'
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

If you go in at Canaveral Cape Marina is prior to the locks. Ponce is not a great idea after dark and can run quite strong current wise. If you head north on the ICW Halifax Harbour is a great municipal marina right downtown in Daytona Beach. I'm planning my return there in the next week or so.
Old 14-03-2016, 09:59   #11

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Except for the lock, Canaveral inlet is no problem. I've been in and out of it a couple of times. Between the lock and the ICW the channel across the Bannana River is fairly narrow and it is very shallow on either side.
Unless you're single-handing, why not just stay in the stream and go straight to Charleston?

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 14-03-2016, 10:16   #12

Thanks everyone. I'm actually going to skip the ice and go straight to mayport /jacksonville I'm trying to make good time. I was originally going solo so I take short jumps but i think I have someone going with me so i can take a longer passage
Old 14-03-2016, 11:33   #13

Boat: Stevens 47

Ya, with the Gulf Stream behind you, this is an easy and fast passage. Stay out of the ICW in GA, its a mess (shallow). Just jump into the west edge of the Stream and head north. You'll want to stay on the west side of the Stream: it's faster. Go straight thru if you can get crew. I'm in Charleston, and I've made the passage between here and FL in both directions.

Have a good trip!
Old 14-03-2016, 12:42   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

Cape Canaveral would be easy to get into for an overnight rest. The cannel is deep and wide. If you go in go to the area just before the lift bridge as boats often anchor there awaiting a syncronized opening of the bridge and lock. The lock signage says something like 24 hr notice. I would go back out in the morning and head N to St Andrews sound(between Cumberland and Jeykl- anchor or dock at Jekyl. Then Out to Chaleston
These are long passages overnight and you might want to break them down into a few more stops. Weather and waves can be tireing especially if you want to do it all by sail. I would definitely not go into Ponce or St Andrews at night. No lighted channel bouys at either. Go into only lighted navigable ports like Jacksonville, and Charleston at night and then carefully. But if you are young and hearty go straight up as sainted advised.
Old 14-03-2016, 12:44   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Meant St Augustine. I think St Andrews is lit.

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: