Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 05:36   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter
Heater Dilemma - Cruising ICW

Good morning everyone,

We are trying to get ready to sail away to the Caribbean this September from Toronto - ON - Canada (Through Erie Canal and ICW)

We do have a very questionable diesel heater (not forced air type) on board. According to the previous owner, it's a fire hazard and it stinks.

The question is.... do we really need it for the trip? Or can we survive with a portable propane heater something like this https://www.amazon.ca/F232000-000-BT...2262445&sr=8-1 .... We also have an Origo alcohol (non-pressurized) stove/oven on board and while cooking cabin heats up a bit as well.

Or in other words, How cold it is (from Virgina to Florida) in October - November?

Thanks in advance,

Tafa
Tafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 05:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Heater Dilemma - Cruising ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post
... How cold it is (from Virgina to Florida) in October - November?
The worst you should expect is low 40'sF.
Coastal Virginia temperatures:
October ➥ https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...-october.php#c
November ➥ https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...november.php#c

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:01   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

If you get past Morehead City NC by the end of November you’ll be fine.

I did this trip with a late start once, leaving the Chesapeake in December. Of course my Espar quite on me as I was passing through Virginia during a cold snap. Was a bit chilly but I survived lol.
Old 22-07-2018, 07:11   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The worst you should expect is low 40'sF.
Coastal Virginia temperatures:
October ➥ https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...-october.php#c
November ➥ https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...november.php#c

Perfect cruising temps for Canadians. Len
Old 22-07-2018, 07:33   #5

In November to February 2010 in mid Florida we had ice on the dock in the am. We were mostly marina staying so bought a cheap electric heater. However, It would get hot by 10 am!
Another time October in Annapolis was quite cold by the time we got out of there headed south.
But we would have been fine either time without heat, but it was nice a couple times. One of the little propane units would be fine with a hatch open.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:12   #6

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Forget about the heater.
Buy a sweater.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:21   #7

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Forget about the heater.
Buy a sweater.
Agreed. At Southport, NC I have seen it 80 degrees on October 30. Dress in layers - you'll be peeling off clothes as the day warms up unless it's raining.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:50   #8

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

You’ll survive but it can be nippy. Might be worth bring good cold wx/ ski clothes and sent them back home once not needed. Binging cold all day makes trip fell longer! Also remember, days get short... hard to see ahead after 4p or so with lower Sun angle. Also takes until 10a+ for the heavy dew in morning to burn off get full visibility if you try to run with buttoned up cockpit glass. If you’re not going to go to marina/ plug-in at night... I know I’m getting soft but with an inverter... you can power an electric blanket/ mattress pad as the day ends for just 15 minutes or so... what a difference climbing into a preheated bunk! A mattress at 40-50 degrees just sucks the heat out of your already chilled body. Otherwise take a nice sleeping bag with the modern fill material that resists moisture/ insulates well. Also the stove/ burner while making coffee, soup, pasta,... anything heats up a boat pretty well. While alcohol burner is a little less heat a useful fact is one propane burner = 5000 BTU which is same output of any 1000w plug in electric heater... regardless of whether it’s the radiator type, ceramic, or old fashion glowing red heat wires... 1000 watts = abt 5000 BTU. The small Mr Buddy Propane catalytic heater (Lowe’s/ Home Depot) has a low/ high (8,000/ 16,000) as recall and has an auto-off if oxygen level drops below safe level. In the high position it heats my 30’ sailboat from 30-40 degrees to 70 degrees in 15 minutes. Also anything you can do to close off areas can really help rest of boat warm up rest of the area. When it’s cold I use a blanket to close off v-birth (half your heat lost is in the v-birth area!) and sleep on settee/ dinette cushions.
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We froze our behinds off in North Fl last year on the ICW, bought and slept under an electric throw.
Cold is bad, Cold and damp sux, and the boat will be damp inside in Winter, without some form of heat.
However Id get proficient and or fix the Diesel heater as opposed to a propane one, especially if the propane one uses the little bottles as they are known to leak once they are Forster used, the valve doesn't reseal well I Guess.
Propane on a boat you need to treat it like it's a bomb, cause it is
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:54   #10

With the boats current heater I would take it apart and service it since it sounds like it is not getting a total burn when in operational mode. I also have an Origo Heater Pal that I have used for years and was happy using for heating the cabin and cockpit but the fumes from the heater can be pretty overwhelming if you use it for any period of time in an small area.
The best propane space heater you can buy hands down is the Wave series from Camco. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_47azwzrt5v_e
This is the only catalytic heater on the market that is truly does not release Carbon Monoxide and has a full burn by using a Platinum saturated media to assure a full burn. Its designed for both floor and bulkhead mount so its easy to use, Its durable and can be stored easily when you do not need it.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:47   #11

Boat: Maine Cat 38

October is is agreat sailing month in Virginia You will need a blanket on the bed and a medium jacket out in the cockpit. A heater might be nice to take the chill off in the morning or on a rainy day, but not essential. We plan to be on Chesapeake Bay almost all of October.

November In Virginia is when the weather shifts to more of a winter pattern. There will be fronts that roll through with a damp chill, followed by a series of warm days.

I would try to get south of Morehead City NC by end of November.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:48   #12

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

We have a Mr Heater.....I would NEVER use one in a confined space....vented interior!!!!
I'm intrigued by http://zodi.com/tent-heaters/hot-ven...ater....vented exterior
Bill

QUOTE=Tafa;2679120]Good morning everyone,

We are trying to get ready to sail away to the Caribbean this September from Toronto - ON - Canada (Through Erie Canal and ICW)

We do have a very questionable diesel heater (not forced air type) on board. According to the previous owner, it's a fire hazard and it stinks.

The question is.... do we really need it for the trip? Or can we survive with a portable propane heater something like this https://www.amazon.ca/F232000-000-BT...2262445&sr=8-1 .... We also have an Origo alcohol (non-pressurized) stove/oven on board and while cooking cabin heats up a bit as well.

Or in other words, How cold it is (from Virgina to Florida) in October - November?

Thanks in advance,

Tafa[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:48   #13

In 2014, we left Norfolk on October 15, and basically froze our butts off all the way to Florida. Ice in the cabin several mornings. Our Espar D2 saved the day. Don’t recommend any heater that has combustion on an occupied space, but do feel thst some kind of heater is essential to an enjoyable trip. Along the way, we also bought a “ceramic” style plug-in heater at Lowe’s and used it more or less constantly when we were in marinas.

Jus’ sayin’.
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:58   #14
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

It can get cold. In November 2014 we had morning ice on deck all through North Carolina.
Used portable electric when dockside but generally took several hours to warm the cabin after plugged in.
The answer for us was a " Bus Heater" as you will find on most lobster boats in Maine. Works like the heater in your car. Hot water from your engine flows through a radiator unit which has electric fans to blow through it and provide warm dry air to the cabin. If you are motoring all day it will warm the the main cabin on our Lafitte 44 at 80 to 90 degrees F on a 30 degree day. Usually end up turning the fan down or unit off at some point to keep it comfortable.
The result is that the boat, not just the air is warm and will stay warm for a long time after the engine is off. During the day easy for someone to go below for a warm up.
We did not but its possible with some models to duct warm air into the cockpit.
The principal advantages of these units are:
1) Easy to install. Mount the radiator / air handler and cut the engine heater hose and route the hot water through the air handler and back to the engine.
We have engine driven hot water and put the air handler between the engine and the hot water heater.
2) Cost $300 to $500 depending on how configured. If you are running the engine anyway the incremental cost to make heat has to be near nothing.
3) The air is dry and plentiful.
We bought ours from Hamilton Marine but online search will find several providers.
After 3 seasons no complaints and no maintenance.
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:11   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Don't worry. Wherever you are it'll be colder in Toronto. A full enclosure helps during the day. In the evenings you'll be in bed early anyway. Done the trip many times with no bimini and no enclosure. Just a dodger. A small propane heater helps, I used to have a small catalytic heater that used white gas. The good thing is you'll be headed in the right direction and it can only get warmer.

Tags
cruising, icw