Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 10:13   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Heater Dilemma - Cruising ICW

Any propane heater that does not exhaust the combustion products out of the boat will result in a huge increase in moisture in the boat. The mold and mildew will flourish with this type of heater.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:40   #17

Your question asks if a heater is necessary: no, it's not. A previous response referenced the shorter days: that's really the more relevant issue as you get later in the fall. It's not really practical for a recreational boat to travel at night on the ICW, so you've got 10 hours to get from one port to the next. That being said, one would think that you might consider getting your diesel furnace repaired, if at all possible. I envy you your trip across NY state on the Erie Canal: that should be a boatload of fun. While still in Toronto you may wish to recruit some crew to help you sail offshore to the Antilles from BeaufortMoorehead City NC. The ICW from there to Florida might drive you ro drinkin'
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 12:30   #18

Boat: L.F.H S chooner 49'11" lod 64 loa

Hello I have done the Norfolk to Fla.trip a number of times .It can get cold ,even down south. Being cold and damp quickly takes the pleasure from the adventure....
Propane is dangerous.. Any unvented form of heater burning any hydrocarbon gives off things that are some form of undesirable gasses and water vapor
looking for a marina to plug in an electric heater puts a pressure on you that again takes away the pleasure of the freedom that can come from cruising,Not to mention the drain on money....There are many beautiful anchorages that are a joy..
What brand is the existing heater? Someone built it once ,It worked ...... Perhaps the previous owner was not 'interested' in it's operation.There will be someone on this forum that will be knowledgeable of it and it's operation.A properly operating diesel heater is a fine thing,using the same fuel... Diesel? as your main engine.
Do proper preparation and enjoy.No one promised any of us a tomorrow.
Len hornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 12:51   #19

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

We came south on fall and were experiencing 40s around Halloween and 30-32 degree temperatures in South Carolina around Thanksgiving. We have a diesel stove which doubles as a heater and are glad we had it as we hate being cold.
Any heater should be vented... too many deaths from unvented fossil fuel heaters.
Rudy & Jill Sechez
Old 22-07-2018, 14:47   #20

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

How about

https://www.williamsfoodequipment.co...yABEgJnTPD_BwE

What’s new in Uuni 3?

• Stone baking board - increased thermal mass and even better bake for pizza base
  • Flame keeper - our patent-pending feature makes the Uuni 2S run hotter with less fuel
  • And many more refinements such as better feet, improved burner, chimney cap etc.
Extreme 900°F heat

Uuni 3 gets up to 900°F which enables you to cook things really fast. You can make a stone-baked, wood-fired pizza in just 90 seconds! It’s also not just for pizza; you can cook flatbreads, fish, vegetables, steaks or really anything that enjoys short cooking times.
Wood-fired

Uuni is powered by wood pellets which are very energy-dense and inexpensive; they’re like regular wood except compressed. No additives, no hidden extras, just wood. The pellets ignite easily & Uuni 3 takes just 10 minutes to heat up, from cold up to 900°F.
Lasts a lifetime

Uuni 3 is made of beautiful brushed stainless steel. It weathers and ages as you use it, but it doesn’t rust and it just keeps on performing. It’ll make for a key feature in your outdoor kitchen or barbecue area.

We are trying to get ready to sail away to the Caribbean this September from Toronto - ON - Canada (Through Erie Canal and ICW)

We do have a very questionable diesel heater (not forced air type) on board. According to the previous owner, it's a fire hazard and it stinks.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 15:22   #21

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
How about Uuni 3?

We are trying to get ready to sail away to the Caribbean this September from Toronto - ON - Canada (Through Erie Canal and ICW)

We do have a very questionable diesel heater (not forced air type) on board. According to the previous owner, it's a fire hazard and it stinks.

Uuni3 looks very dangerous for a boat. you do not want a 900 degree farenheit surface anywhere you can touch it.

If you want to convert to propane get a cozy cabin heater but be advised it goes through propane very quickly. You already have an exhaust stack - oversized but you have it.

What brand is your diesel cabin heater? Are they still in business? Read the manual. Make sure you have a good draft - airflow up the chimney. These heaters work very well but have a learning curve to getting them adjusted correctly.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 15:28   #22

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter

Thanks everyone for contributing... You've been very helpful

My takes are

- Propane heater is not a good idea in the boat
- Temperatures kind of acceptable during the day... The problem usually comes with the sunset
- Proper clothing is very important
- Pair of 12v heated blankets and a ceramic electric heater (for an hour via our little red Honda 2000) may help us to survive the night
- We may consider using our Origo alcohol-fueled oven for cooking every night

Anyone would be interested in lightly used Sigma Diesel Heater

Cheers,

Tafa
Tafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 15:46   #23

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
What brand is your diesel cabin heater? Are they still in business? Read the manual. Make sure you have a good draft - airflow up the chimney. These heaters work very well but have a learning curve to getting them adjusted correctly.
It is an old Sigma.... My main concern is the fire hazard.... I really don't want to deal with a boat fire (who would anyways

I'm thinking... If we could somehow survive that period with help of other gear (electric blankets, heavy clothing, use of oven/stove) I prefer not to have a heater hazard onboard.... I might be overthinking because of limited knowledge/experience.....

First I'll look for someone who could at least commission the heater for me.

Cheers,

Tafa
Tafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 15:53   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

can you tell us what is wrong with your existing Sigmar heater? These are very simple devices and there's not too much to go wrong with them. Our Fab-All heater is similar and works quite well.

Jim
Old 22-07-2018, 15:56   #25

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Get any type and all heaters inspect once a year and correct any problem before use. If they are to be new installations, get them professional installed. Log the date, the type and model of heats and the name of the installer.
The AT has two installed electric heaters, one in saloon and one in the stateroom. To use them requires either shore power or the generator. Using both heaters at the same time requires 'load management' or the boat goes dark.
I also have 2 reversible A/C.
Remember also, not the time to be stylish, your clothes and blankets and socks are paid for, add more layers and a nice wool 'watch cap'. Drink plenty of hot liquids. This not the time to eat cold food. Keep your core temp up.
Old 22-07-2018, 16:08   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have a slightly different take on the problem.

Do you want to stay in a marina every night or do you want to anchor out or take a morning? The real question is the availability of shoreside power. Many recommendations above assume shoreside power. That’s great if in a marina, but that’s a pretty expensive way to travel if on a budget.

Then what do you do if you get stuck somewhere enroute due to a breakdown? Mechanical or medical.

My recommendation is to get the diesel heater fixed if at all possible. Second would be to install an Espar D4. You can do it yourself. No terribly hard. You do not need a lot of fancy ducting.

An operating heater is really necessary to dry out the interior of the boat. Once it gets damp inside it can become fairly miserable, even if warm.

Why not start a thread on the problem with the Sig heater?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 16:51   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A thing about mairina visits is you lose hours of travel time checking in, tieing up etc.

I'd fix the heater, likely it only needs a good cleaning
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 16:52   #28

Boat: L.F.H S chooner 49'11" lod 64 loa

You already own that diesel heater, as stated on OP these things have been around in one brand or another since the 1930's They are very simple and provide plenty of drying heat. Sigmar is in business and their customer service is good. Parts are readily available. There is really no reason why it cannot serve you well. Things just need to be 'right' the flue needs to be the proper size with no constrictions. That and clean fuel with allowance for incoming air for proper combustion.and you will be pleased.
operation instructions and lots of information is available online..
As for safety they have a fusible link in the fuel metering device that if the unit starts to overheat it will shut down.
i have a similar range (Dickinson) running now as it is winter in NZ. The boat is warm and dry... Makes life aboard very pleasant...
Len hornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 17:30   #29

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

We had a 4 day cold snap in south FL about 2 months ago. I took my jacket, flannel pajamas, socks and stylish watch cap, put them on my 4ft+ company..... was funny, she looked like a 'rag a muffin' street woman. She was warm and happy. Me? Happy but not really warm. SMILE
Some place on the boat, I have a sweat suit too.
Old 23-07-2018, 04:40   #30

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Love your origo stove/oven! Why not get the origo heat pal as a backup. They can usually be found used (kijiji) at a good price. And you already have the fuel. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-remorque-aut...ationFlag=true
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, icw