Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2018, 10:09   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 DS
Gulf Coast: How long to transit the ICW from Kemah, TX to Pensacola, FL?

In May I plan on sailing from Kemah, TX, to Key West, and I am trying to determine traveling times from port to port. The intent is to take the ICW from Galveston to Pensacoala, before pushing south to Tampa, and eventually the Keys; our vessel is a 1999 Jeanneau 40DS with a shoal keel (under 5 ft) And with major systems in good working order. I understand that there is significant barge traffic in the ICW east of Galveston, just as I also under stand that the copius numbers of oil rigs pose a concern for offshore cruising. In this case, there are specific destinations along the Gulf Coat where I would like to stop, which is why I'm not planning a direct passage from Galveston to the Keys. I would appreciate input from anyone who has made this passage and has a good notion of transit time. Thank you.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 12:02   #2

Re: Gulf Coast: How long to transit the ICW from Kemah, TX to Pensacola, FL?

You may want to check out the youtube channel Sailing Shaggy Seas. It's a couple that bought in Kemah and has posted their journey from there to just south of Tampa at this point.
morrchr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 12:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
In May I plan on sailing from Kemah, TX, to Key West, and I am trying to determine traveling times from port to port. The intent is to take the ICW from Galveston to Pensacoala, before pushing south to Tampa, and eventually the Keys; our vessel is a 1999 Jeanneau 40DS with a shoal keel (under 5 ft) And with major systems in good working order. I understand that there is significant barge traffic in the ICW east of Galveston, just as I also under stand that the copius numbers of oil rigs pose a concern for offshore cruising. In this case, there are specific destinations along the Gulf Coat where I would like to stop, which is why I'm not planning a direct passage from Galveston to the Keys. I would appreciate input from anyone who has made this passage and has a good notion of transit time. Thank you.
That is a route I have not yet taken, but would like to in 2018.

So I have studied the route in preparation for joining a boat as crew for a voyage.

IF anyone reading this would like me to assist as crew, (e.g. to keep watch for oil rigs) send me a PM. This is a leg/route I would like to take, on most boats.

From Galveston to Port St. Joe and then to St. Petersburg is about 802 miles using the ICW. Add a few from your marina in Kemah to Galveston. Alternatives that are popular are from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs or to Clearwater.

If motoring, a reported good stop would be in Carrabelle or Port St. Joe or Appalachicola. Then a long day (possibly overnight) to Tarpon Springs, then south to Clearwater, Tampa or St. Pete.

Key point is to be aware of several bridges that have about 50' air draft. Navarre, Ft. Walton, Destin, and Panama City (DuPont bridge) are all about 50' clearance. Check your charts or cruising guides for specifics. Having a copy (or access to) Waterway Guide or Anchorage Guide and Active Captain would be a good idea.

Simple Tip: Take plenty of sunscreen or have your Bimini up, as the sun can be intense in the Gulf in May.

I used to visit the Gulf Coast beaches, and once spent a month on Dauphin Island at the Sea Lab there, so I enjoy the area.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 13:16   #4

Hi PhoenixRising -

We did this trip about 3 years ago. Started in Freeport, TX and took the ICW all the way to Pensacola. Then offshore to Panama City. ICW to Apalachicola, then offshore to Clearwater. ICW to Ft Myers, then offshore to Marco, then offshore to Shark River, then offshore to Marathon.

Awesome trip, we had a great time!

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Skipper Bob and Waterway Gulf Coast ICW guides. They have all the details on the not so obvious anchorages along the way.

There is a lot of barge traffic at times, but also very peaceful stretches where you hardly see anyone.

The most stressful (exciting!) part was exiting the Harvey Locks into the Mississippi and catching the left hand turn into the industrial channel...that was crazy! But you get to float right by downtown New Orleans.

Timing...I don't have my notes with me, but I think it took 6-7 weeks total Freeport to Marathon.
jwolters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 15:00   #5

Why not go out and actually sail....a sailboat?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 15:05   #6

If you are in a hurry, it really is better to just go straight across.
Old 20-03-2018, 15:34   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
then offshore to Clearwater. ICW to Ft Myers, then offshore to Marco
Not to disparage jwolters advice or his experience, GICW from Clearwater to Fort Myers is filled with bridges and power boat wakes. Unless there is something specific you would like to see along this route, stay offshore and come in when needed/wanted. Especially on weekends..........

On the few trips we've made from the Tampa Bay area to the Keys we usually sail in the Gulf of Mexico unless the weather dictates otherwise.

Notable places to anchor overnight are Longboat Pass, Cayo Costa, Fort Myers Beach. There is really nothing to see, except mangroves, at the Little Shark River, but we usually stop there overnight on our way down. Be sure to bring bug spray and/or Thermocells.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 15:56   #8
SFS

If you jump off at either Mobile or Pensacola, oil rigs are not an issue to come straight down the rest of the way. IIRC, it's 305 nm from the outer marker at Mobile to Pass-a-Grille channel just south of St. Pete Beach.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 17:51   #9
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

My wife and I have done this leg 3 times. The first time, we left Kemah (Watergate Marina) on November 15th, and were in Pensacola on December 3rd. We did stop in New Orleans for a week though, so take that time away if you are on a schedule. Blogs aren't fun to read in reverse order, but you could start here and just click newer post on each page....https://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/249977

Have fun. It's truly a Huck Finn adventure, as I tell everyone thinking about this particular trip on a boat!

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 05:09   #10

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

I did the same trip backwards 2.5 years ago but went open ocean with a small leg down the Mississippi.
Took 5 days in a Cape Dory 36. If you stay in the fairways and STAY AWAKE at the helm, the rigs are not a problem.... in fact they’re pretty cool to look at and the horns add to the ambiance of the trip.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 06:35   #11

How long depends greatly on how hard you want to push.

Generally, it's a bad idea to run at night, so figure 50 miles maximum per travel day but a good idea to leave at least 2-3 days per week for waiting out weather. So figure around 200miles per week at a comfortable pace.

Sure you can push hard and do it faster but then you may as well do the offshore thing.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:49   #12

Boat: Camano 31, Troll

We did it in a Hunter Passage 42 in 10 days. Had to wait one overnight for a bridge, then another for a lock in LA, then 4 hrs for Harvey Lock onto Mississippi River, but all else went easily. Pleasant stops in Huoma, LA, and at Beau Rivage in Mississippi.
Did day sail from Pensacola to Panama City.
sailduggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:58   #13

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

It is likely that you have never sailed this part of the Gulf. Lots of marine traffic, rigs, unlight platforms and flare stacks. Also the Gulf in this area is a washing machine of waves. They come from all directions

It is not a relaxing sail.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 09:20   #14

Boat: Island Packet 32

I agree with SSgPitt,
The trip from Galveston Bay to Mobile is dreary. I have done it offshore to both Pensacola and Mobile Bay, then by ICW from there to the exit at Dog Island, a nice trip. Leave Galveston heading almost 090 and you'll soon be away from the rigs, which, as Pitt says, are not a problem and interesting to see. The trip east from Mobile Bay is very nice, and you can lay over a day or two at Dauphin Island before crossing Mobile Bay. Plenty of nice anchoring from there on.
My guess is, however, that you cannot get under the bridge at Fort Walton Beach. BTW, we're neighbors at waterford.
Old 21-03-2018, 09:22   #15

Did the route in reverse a couple of years ago and getting ready to go back as far as Ft Myers. Have down parts of the ICW several other times. We were only in the ICW between Sabine Pass and Galveston on the last trip. The rigs are a non-issue during the day when we went outside.

We tend to get up with the sun, not by choice, and go to approximate sunset. SO we were under way about 15 hours a day averaging 6 mph in the ICW (cuz sailing there takes a lot of wind luck). We made about 90 miles a day in the ICW.

New Orleans and the locks are tricky. We ran into a closed lock that had boats backed up like crazy....so we went around the outside. In the ICW you get to see a lot of cool stuff, cruising the shore line was really cool, too. Just depends on what you want to see.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf coast, icw, kemah, pensacola