Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2014, 15:36   #1

Great Barrier Reef

Hi.

I would like to know which cruise covers the entire Great Barrier Reef in Australia or at least which one covers the most of it.

Old 12-01-2014, 15:51   #2

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Re: Great Barrier Reef

There are none that I know of as the GBR is far too massive.

What is your budget and time allocation and interests that you want to persue on GBR otherwise difficult to advise?

Best you can expect is to join if you are a diver one of the extended charters out of Cairns of 7 to 10 days duration.

To cover the whole GBR from the Capricorn Bunker Group in the south to Cape York in the north would need a large expensive vessel and take at least a month if in a hurry.

Again depending on your budget you could charter smaller vessels at various points along the reef such as out of Bundaberg for a week to cover the southern GBR, then out of the Whitsunday for the central GBR, then up to Townsville and then up to Cairns for a week or two to cover the northern section.

Some of the Cairns dive charter vessels head out throuch GBR to the coral sea reefs, move north coming back to GBR at Lizard Island diving the Cod Hole and then work there way back to Cairns along the GGR over a week, in that time covering perhaps 10% max of GBR.

Old 12-01-2014, 15:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JJ.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:22   #4

Tks for reply.

The main interest is to cover it all.

Budget, don't worry about that.

No hurry.
Old 12-01-2014, 18:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

What do you mean by " which cruise" ?

"Route/itinerary on your own vessel" or "commercial package" ?
Old 12-01-2014, 19:17   #6

"Commercial package", I don't own a vessel.
Old 12-01-2014, 19:41   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

there are day trips that run out of just about every major city along the GBR . To my knowledge there is no cruise ships that specialize in just the GBR . However you can rent your own boat at Hamilton Island and Airlie Beach as well as other locations. These rent a yachts can get you through many of the islands that have thier own small reefs systems. But you cant take them out to the main reef.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 20:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
there are day trips that run out of just about every major city along the GBR . To my knowledge there is no cruise ships that specialize in just the GBR . However you can rent your own boat at Hamilton Island and Airlie Beach as well as other locations. These rent a yachts can get you through many of the islands that have thier own small reefs systems. But you cant take them out to the main reef.
They don't allow you to go anywhere near the GBR. The inshore islands such as the Whitsundays and the Keppels off Rockhampton are that not the GBR.

JJ_ your moniker doesn't indicate which part of the world you are fromand your background and whether you want to dive the GBR, fish or tourist.

As somebody else indicated there is no vessel I know of that runs regular cruises along the length of the GBR. When I said budget it would be important as it could be a lot depending on what your are after.

For instance there are vessels that one could charta vessel at Bundaberg or Gladstone (finishing up in Cairns) to do the length of whole GBR but they would have reasonable size and not be cheap. Alternatively you could charter several vessels for extended periods at intervals alongh the reef and cover it that way.

Your do not indicate if you have the budget to charter vessels for your own use, wether you are one or a group(good for cost sharing) or interests.

The other way as somebody suggested jump on the day trippers along the coast. You can also stay at following resorts on the actual GBR. From South to North. Lady Elliot island, Heron Island , Green Island, Lizard Island. Again difficult to advise without more info.

The Whitsundays are inshore not the actual GBR although you can jump on a day trip vessel, charter your with a skipper or join a number of dive cruises that spend time on the reef and islands.

Home - GBRMPA Some of the best general info.

I would download these zoning maps Zoning maps - GBRMPA
Old 12-01-2014, 21:19   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I find that I am a bit curious as to your motivation for this "cruise" (You do realize that this forum is devoted to folks who sail their own boats, not travel on gross floating hotels, don't you?). We are a great source of info related to our obsession, but few of us do the kind of "cruising" that you contemplate.

If you are wanting to dive all the reefs, that is one sort of aim. But if you just want to "cruise" the reef, could you tell us why, please? 'Cause really, from the surface (or a hundred feet above the surface on the "A" deck of the P&O Ostentatious) they all look much the same.

It is none of my business, of course, but when you enter the arena of the Cruisers Forum your business becomes kinda public, and my curiosity is tweaked!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-01-2014, 21:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I find that I am a bit curious as to your motivation for this "cruise" (You do realize that this forum is devoted to folks who sail their own boats, not travel on gross floating hotels, don't you?). We are a great source of info related to our obsession, but few of us do the kind of "cruising" that you contemplate.

If you are wanting to dive all the reefs, that is one sort of aim. But if you just want to "cruise" the reef, could you tell us why, please? 'Cause really, from the surface (or a hundred feet above the surface on the "A" deck of the P&O Ostentatious) they all look much the same.

It is none of my business, of course, but when you enter the arena of the Cruisers Forum your business becomes kinda public, and my curiosity is tweaked!

Cheers,

Jim
Jim, I could be wasting my time.
Old 12-01-2014, 22:30   #11

The other HUGE point is the words Cruise and Reef dont go together in the same sentence. The Vollendam for instance, does cruise within the reef during its circumnavigation cruises of Aus. However, it does not stop for you to see the reef, other than parking up at an island over night.

When wanting to see the GBR, you need time to get under water. Cruise ships tend to have limited diving time, due to the structure of the cruise itself.
Old 13-01-2014, 15:06   #12

Sounds like the OP was looking for a CRUISE forum not cruising.
Old 13-01-2014, 15:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Sounds like the OP was looking for a CRUISE forum not cruising.
Yes. Its possible that is the case. Not much to see from the poop deck of the cruise ship if you want to see the reef.

Tags
Great Barrier Reef

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: