Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 15:06   #1
Registered User
 
svjobeth's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Posts: 80
General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Hello all,

Of course, each country can have it's own quirks and specific forms, etc., for entry requirements. Certainly, there are specific documents universal to most nation's requirements for entry via yachts. We carry:

Passports
USCG Vessel Document
State of FL Registration for Yacht and Dinghy
Official Crew List
VHF Radio Station License
Vessel Insurance Certificate
Personal documents - birth certificates, marriage license, proof of medical insurance, driver's licenses

As our cruising plans develop to take us beyond the USA, we're interested in hearing from other cruisers which documents, etc., they carry as 'standard' documents in photocopy form, etc.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Bill & Lisa Ballard
Marathon, FL
S/V JO BETH
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 15:23   #2
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petersburg, AK
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 2,206
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

In our experience we have been asked for your first three:

Passports
USCG Vessel Document
State of FL Registration for Yacht and Dinghy

Never the rest, with the exception of occasional requirements for proof of medical insurance/coverage.

In addition to those you mentioned most places seem to require some form of crew list that contains the personally identifying information of every crew member. Of course every place uses a different form, sometimes you can get away with generic, sometimes you can't.

There are a few places that require proof of financial viability and/or a ticket out.

We have been asked for boat insurance going into a marina, but never by government officials getting into a country.
__________________

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 15:34   #3
Registered User
 
svjobeth's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Posts: 80
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
In our experience we have been asked for your first three:

Passports
USCG Vessel Document
State of FL Registration for Yacht and Dinghy

Never the rest, with the exception of occasional requirements for proof of medical insurance/coverage.

In addition to those you mentioned most places seem to require some form of crew list that contains the personally identifying information of every crew member. Of course every place uses a different form, sometimes you can get away with generic, sometimes you can't.

There are a few places that require proof of financial viability and/or a ticket out.

We have been asked for boat insurance going into a marina, but never by government officials getting into a country.

Ah - I did mean to include a crew list in there. Will edit that into the list.

Interesting about proving financial viability. We've heard some countries ask about that and/or a 'return ticket,' but it's almost always been for those flying in to meet and depart on the yacht, rather than those arriving on the yacht.

Thank you!
__________________
Bill & Lisa Ballard
Marathon, FL
S/V JO BETH
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 15:41   #4
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Caribbean live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 4,628
Images: 84
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Foreign entities do not care about or understand your state registration stuff. They want passports, USCG documentation. That’s all. Four seasons in the Caribbean and we’ve never been asked to show a station license or proof of insurance. Bonaire was the only insurance exception. France sure as heck doesn’t care that we once had Michigan registration. The only place a Florida document might be useful is the Bahamas if your boat is not documented. The dinghy belongs to the yacht. It’s only in the US that states (who cares) require separate registration for a rubber tender. Most dinghies in the Caribbean have absolutely no markings. Most people do not want to broadcast the dinghy of XYZ yacht and it’s people are not aboard.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 16:15   #5
Registered User
 
svjobeth's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Posts: 80
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Foreign entities do not care about or understand your state registration stuff. They want passports, USCG documentation. Thatís all. Four seasons in the Caribbean and weíve never been asked to show a station license or proof of insurance. Bonaire was the only insurance exception. France sure as heck doesnít care that we once had Michigan registration. The only place a Florida document might be useful is the Bahamas if your boat is not documented. The dinghy belongs to the yacht. Itís only in the US that states (who cares) require separate registration for a rubber tender. Most dinghies in the Caribbean have absolutely no markings. Most people do not want to broadcast the dinghy of XYZ yacht and itís people are not aboard.

Thanks -


We'd had friends clearing into Guatemala who had the dinghy registration issue come up. We've not personally heard of any country in the Caribbean ask about the radio station license, but it did come up for a while somewhere in Europe - the Azores, if memory serves. But, those things did seem unusual to us, as the asking for insurance on the yacht.


Thanks again -
__________________
Bill & Lisa Ballard
Marathon, FL
S/V JO BETH
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 17:01   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,115
Images: 75
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

you might want to include in that list,your "port clearance" from your last port.

also if the yacht has ever been through the panama canal there might be a admeasurers certificate and your unique panama canal number onboard.
which will save you getting measured again

st helena and acension islands require proof of 10 million in medical and evacuation cover

many countries require a valid yellow fever certificate for all onboard.

singapore requires vessels have a wreck removal clause in their insurance
as well as a mmsi number and an active AIS transponder
__________________
my catamaran building project updates https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ft-103739.html
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 17:56   #7
Registered User
 
svjobeth's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Posts: 80
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you might want to include in that list,your "port clearance" from your last port.

also if the yacht has ever been through the panama canal there might be a admeasurers certificate and your unique panama canal number onboard.
which will save you getting measured again

st helena and acension islands require proof of 10 million in medical and evacuation cover

many countries require a valid yellow fever certificate for all onboard.

singapore requires vessels have a wreck removal clause in their insurance
as well as a mmsi number and an active AIS transponder

Thank you!


$10 Million in med/evac coverage sounds crazy-high! Interesting note on the MMSI/AIS requirement. That's something I hear more and more countries are looking for. Fortunately, we already have both - but (affordable/reasonable) full insurance coverage for cruising remains a bit elusive...
__________________
Bill & Lisa Ballard
Marathon, FL
S/V JO BETH
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 17:59   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Posts: 1,195
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

The government may not want to see boat insurance but marinas often do
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 18:02   #9
Registered User
 
svjobeth's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Posts: 80
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
The government may not want to see boat insurance but marinas often do

Yep, I included it as couple of our friends have been asked for proof of insurance coverage, usually liability, for their boat by some government entity. Seems rare, but it apparently does happen.


Thanks for the reply.
__________________
Bill & Lisa Ballard
Marathon, FL
S/V JO BETH
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 18:02   #10
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petersburg, AK
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 2,206
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by svjobeth View Post
...$10 Million in med/evac coverage sounds crazy-high! ...
It sounds a bit high, but in reality you can purchase it on island (St. Helena) for about US$1/person/day. The insurance covers both St. Helena and Ascension and they even suspended the insurance (so we didn't have to pay the premium) while we were on the 4-day passage between the two. All in, for two people, I think our total cost was less than US$30 (November 2018).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 18:03   #11
Registered User
 
svjobeth's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Posts: 80
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
It sounds a bit high, but in reality you can purchase it on island (St. Helena) for about US$1/person/day. The insurance covers both St. Helena and Ascension and they even suspended the insurance (so we didn't have to pay the premium) while we were on the 4-day passage between the two. All in, for two people, I think our total cost was less than US$30 (November 2018).

Good to know - thanks!
__________________
Bill & Lisa Ballard
Marathon, FL
S/V JO BETH
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 18:13   #12
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petersburg, AK
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 2,206
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Since we're on the topic, another item to add to your list is visas. There's lots of places some people can travel and not worry about it, but mention of Ascension reminded me that you're supposed to have a visa, which includes a moderately thorough background check, before you arrive (military/spy base you know).

As US citizens we have found most (but certainly not all) places we have visited have allowed us to just show up and get a tourist visa of some sort on arrival. But there are places on the South Pacific Milk Run where you need to be admitted in advance. And if you're South African (for example, not trying to pick on them), well, all of our South African friends have had a much harder time of it than us in many places.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 18:19   #13
Registered User
 
svjobeth's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Posts: 80
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Since we're on the topic, another item to add to your list is visas. There's lots of places some people can travel and not worry about it, but mention of Ascension reminded me that you're supposed to have a visa, which includes a moderately thorough background check, before you arrive (military/spy base you know).

As US citizens we have found most (but certainly not all) places we have visited have allowed us to just show up and get a tourist visa of some sort on arrival. But there are places on the South Pacific Milk Run where you need to be admitted in advance. And if you're South African (for example, not trying to pick on them), well, all of our South African friends have had a much harder time of it than us in many places.

Yes, Visas should definitely be on the list. We're US citizens and in our research, have found the Noonsite website to be a very valuable source of information about requirements. I don't think any of the places we're planning to visit in the next two or three years require Visas, beyond the tourist variety. However, we're both experienced business travelers and have dealt with them before.


Thanks!
__________________
Bill & Lisa Ballard
Marathon, FL
S/V JO BETH
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 01:55   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Underway in the Med -
Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Posts: 2,220
Images: 1
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

We have checked in and out of 53 different countries from Colombia to Russia. We walk in with Boat USCG Documentation, Boat Insurance, Passports - and I have a semi blank crew list that I can make out on the spot if they want one.


OH forgot - sometimes they want to see your capt license. I use my ASA credentials and that has worked with no issues.


Never anything else.
__________________
just our thoughts and opinions
chuck and svsoulmates
In the Northern Med for the season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 02:43   #15
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 132
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

what would be needed if instead of a dingy I use a hovercraft? could also use it to go to the store, "on land"?
__________________

wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men, ports

« Barbados | - »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USA entry Visa and additional documents wanabe cruiser General Sailing Forum 16 21-02-2019 16:00
Cuba Regulations and Ports of Entry tburd Atlantic & the Caribbean 1 20-03-2016 15:03
Bahamas Entry Documents Requirements Lynnward Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 9 25-10-2011 10:29
Ports of Entry / Exit in the Mexican Caribbean Endeavour 43 Atlantic & the Caribbean 4 02-02-2011 05:23
Philippine Islands - Ports of Entry and Anchoring Out Before Clearing Customs . . . Gone2long Pacific & South China Sea 10 07-10-2010 19:00

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.