Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2008, 12:37   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Question Fort Jefferson / Dry Tortugas

We are planning a cruise to Garden Key during the first week of June and I was just wondering if anyone has been out there lately. I understand that the channel between Garden Key and Bush Key was completely silted in for awhile but we've heard no reliable news lately tho' several people have suggested that the hurricanes re-opened the channel.

Further, I understand that mooring bouy's have been installed along the west side of Loggerhead Key. I'd appreciate any information on the situation there.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 15:17   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Don't know about the moorings but yes the channel has been reopened by the recent storms and is actually quite deep. The Fort suffered extensive damage and the funding was hard to find so I would have to wonder of moorings were a priority unless the money had already been allocated. All of the current websites including the national parks site still re-iterates there are no mooring buoys.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 17:24   #3

Chuck--

Thanks for the note.

Is your comment based upon recent on-site observation? I don't want to go blundering down the northeast channel at twilight on the strength of roomer alone.

The reference to moorings on the West side of Loggerhead is based upon a recent post on the Salty Southwest Cruisers Net. Never-the-less, on matters cruising, I subscribe to the Reagan Doctrine "doveryai, no proveryai" ("Trust but Verify" or, more commonly, "Yah's gatta see it ta believes it.)

Regards,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 17-04-2008, 02:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also, the earlier Dry Tortugas thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ugas-7480.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 05:26   #5

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Why not call the park and ask them? Their number is: 305-242-7700

Good Luck
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 09:36   #6

Gord--

Thanks for the referral. I did a search but evidently my search skills need development.

mobetah--

Thanks for the suggestion/number. Frankly, it didn't occur to me that there might be a phone out there but of course, there must be. Duh!

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
Old 17-04-2008, 11:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The best place to search the CruisersForum is at “Google Custom Search”, that 'scotte' set up:
Cruisers & Sailing Forum

Old 17-04-2008, 16:31   #8

Ah Gord, you're a bloody treasure trove of knowledge!

s/v HyLyte
Old 18-04-2008, 01:10   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank 'scotte' for the custom search. He set it up.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...otte-6537.html

Old 06-05-2008, 09:43   #10

Follow-Up

We have recently received a reply from the Rangers at Ft. Jefferson regarding the northeast channel between Garden and Bush Key. In short, they indicate that the Channel has reopened and that some boats have used it but suggest that yachts with any draft (we draw 6.5 feet) continue to go around the west side of Garden Key. So, we shall.

When we return I will try to post some snaps of our visit if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
Old 06-05-2008, 10:28   #11

Boat: Taswell 49
HyLyte,
When you spoke with the park, what's up with the mooring buoys? You got my curiosity going and I was waiting for the punch line.....
thanks
George
George P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I'd be interested in knowing about the mooring buoys as well. Holding sucks down there, just thin sand on rock. Last time I was there I asked about mooring buoys and was told there was no money and to write my congressman to appropriate some. I know I'd sure sleep better at night with something better than a couple of anchors.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:11   #13

They made no mention of the morring bouys. I shall resubmit my inquiry and report their response ASAP.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
Old 06-05-2008, 19:18   #14

Boat: Taswell 49
Is it worth going. What I mean is...is it a fun place or just a great destination for solitude? Also, is there any sheltered anchorages?
thanks
George
George P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 20:12   #15

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by George P View Post
Is it worth going. What I mean is...is it a fun place or just a great destination for solitude? Also, is there any sheltered anchorages?
thanks
George
Yes, it is a pretty amazing place to explore and great snorkeling too around the mote and at loggerhead key where the lighthouse is. It has protected area's and good holding ground,but make sure you have good ground tackle as it can get windy for spells. Didn't see any boats dragging while I was there. You will not believe how many bricks old sailing ships transported in to build that fort. It's a must see if you have an opportunity to sail there.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry tortugas