Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-04-2007, 16:04   #31

Location: Winters: UK, Southampton. Summers, Greece, Finikounda.
Boat: Oyster 406, 12.3m, RAPAZ
Favourite destinations

SW Ireland for the craic and the social life.

W Scotland for sheer empty beauty, and days that last for 20 hours in summer.

N France for the exceptional pilotage challenge of massive tidal streams and ranges, cafe life and oysters.

Greek islands for the ability to tie up to a town quay, pay nothing, and be part of the village life.

Europe, for the sheer variety of cultures to experience within a couple of day's sail

In fact. everywhere has something to offer most people . . . .

JimBaerselman
Google 'jimb sail europe' to find my site:
Compares the cruising areas of Europe.

Old 01-04-2007, 19:02   #32

Boat: Beneteau 36
Group :

I'm afraid our aspirations are not quite as exotic as some of the rest of you...

For now, we sail in the Great Lakes (Erie Islands, North Channel, etc) until we retire (in 7yrs) & then our cruising grounds will expand to include the east coast, down to the Keys & over to the Bahamas.

No offence to others with more wanderlust, but our version of fun just does not include surviving on fish & coconuts in Pango-Pango.

Someday, when we're sitting there looking at the Christmas lights in St Augustine, or watching the sun-setting at Nippers, or sipping a goombay smash in Georgetown...

I'll remember typing this message...& how smart I was to plan so far in advance.

Hopefully...I'll see many of you down there.

Old 12-04-2007, 15:41   #33

Fanning Island...Very few boats ever make it there. It's beautiful unspoiled snorkelling, swimming and surfing. Warm and friendly people.

Niue...Beautiful clear water, coral caves and landscape. Friendly welcoming people.

Ha'apai Group, Tonga. Beautiful golden sand beaches, islanders welcoming and friendly, lots of uninhabited islands.

Moloka'i, Hawai'i...If you can make the sail down the north coast and get to Kalaupapa it's a life experience. Even spending a few days in Kaunakakai is great.

Hawaii, Hawai'i...sail around to the volcano on the SE coast and watch the lava flowing into the ocean. You can get to within a few yards...a #1 life experience.

Places to never go back to....Rarotonga and Tahiti (Bora Bora, Raiatea, Moorea, etc. was okay).

By the way...Pago Pago (pronounced pango pango) is like visiting a city in the US, except for the smell of the tuna cannery. It's a US possesion and pretty much like any US town.
Old 13-04-2007, 08:08   #34

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul
That looks like a pretty little woman in the shadow.
Here is a pretty little woman in the light...

Fair leads,
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 10:16   #35

What's everyone think about these spots

Some of the places I have been thinking of but no one has mentioned yet are The Azores, Canary Islands, and Easter Island ( just for the shear amazement and history of it) I have never been to any of these spots so I can't say but does anyone else have any opinion about these places?
Old 29-08-2007, 10:17   #36

Refresher

Just a bump on this post to see if there is any other places anyone has out there. I love hearing and reading about all the places people are talking about
Old 30-08-2007, 06:45   #37

Boat: HR 40 - Auspicious
Places I've been on my boat(s) that I'd like to go back to:
West coast of Sweden -- wonderful people, beautiful scenery
Solent -- I learned a lot sailing here and I love the pubs
Plymouth England -- there is a carved stone on a walking path that says "Welcome to Plymouth, Please wipe your feet" -- you have to love a place like that
Horta Azores -- beautiful scenery, interesting architecture, and a restaurant we called "the hot rock place" just down the road from Peter's Cafe Sport
Chesapeake Bay -- as Bill said, one could spend a lifetime exploring the wonderful crinkly bits of the Bay

Places I've chartered or sailed with friends I'd like to see from my own boat:
Abacos
BVI
St John
Long Island Sound -- mostly Connecticut / Rhode Island side

Places I haven't been (by boat) but would like to visit:
Mauritius
Ascension
Niue
Ireland
Scotland
Maine
Exumas
Grenadines
Cuba (when it's legal for me)
Phuket
Biscay
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 12:43   #38

It's been a while since I have checked out this tread, Any newcomers to the site have any destinations they would like to share, or even to just read about the amazing places out there. I thought I would just give this thread a little bump.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23   #39

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
anywhere in the exumas (bahamas) in the summer but how about the canyon of the rio dulce (guatemala)
Old 04-03-2009, 14:06   #40

Another vote for the South West coast or Ireland. Kinsale for its pubs and restaurants. Roaring Water Bay for utter beauty. Bantry Bay for rugged isolation.

The River Guardiana on the boundary of Spain and Portugal. Serene unspoilt peace once you get further upriver. Thought I may have 'peaked too soon' when we got there!

The designated anchorage off St Eustatius WI on a calm night with the sound of the gospel choir practising in the church ashore drifting over the water.

Pirate Cove, Man O'War Bay, Tobago for the romance of the address!
Old 14-03-2009, 06:09   #41

Boat: Beneteau 305
The main favorite destination has to be just gettin on the water. After that, which way is the wind blowing. My favorite at the moment is Desolation Sound, but always looking over the rail for that next fav. Hope to make it to the BVI's etc. in the future, cause I just know it's gonna be spectacular.
Old 14-03-2009, 07:33   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
The more I sail the Virgin Islands, the more I appreciate the Bahamas. Where else can you find an entire island or bay all to yourself for days, with in only a few days sail of the U.S.? Anchoring is simple and plentiful. There's no need to pay for moorings. The snorkeling is good. Fishing and lobstering comes with your cruising permit (in season). Quaint towns, resorts, and marinas and other commercial operations are available if you want them, but easy to avoid when you don't.
Old 14-03-2009, 08:45   #43

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
Bad River channel, Ontario. There is a spot where you can tie up to the rocks and just step ashore. This area on the north shores of Georgian Bay is where the French River splits into a bunch of little rivers before dumping into the bay. You can dingy up one of the slower branches and then shoot the rapids through devils door on your return. Incredibly beautiful, remote, rugged landscape. Berry picking, swimming, fishing, and gunkholing up all the little rivers in the day. Campfires and stargazing in the eveings and if you stay up late enough, you will likely see the Northern Lights.

Also the water is clean enough to drink.

That type of elitist thinking has ballooned the cost of boats, and cruising , far beyond what it need be, and beyond the reach of too many low income cruisers, for no benefit. --Brent Swain
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:20   #44

Re: Favorite Destinations, Do not Miss!

It has been a while since I have read this post but I love just sitting down and reading about the favorite places and experiences that everyone has been to and through. I find it more enjoyable reading everyone's posts then reading a magazine. If anyone has anymore experience to share, please do.
Old 08-02-2013, 00:46   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
Re: Favorite Destinations, Do not Miss!

Odd that no one has mentioned the Sea of Cortez... lots of great places there.

And the Marquesas... pretty lousy anchorages for the most part, but fascinating exploration ashore.

And over many visits we've become fond of New Caledonia... easy to get away from the crowd, but with the joys of a sophisticated French city (read GOOD things to eat and drink!) a few hours away. Painless entry and exit, mostly friendly folks especially if you have even minimal French skills.

And what about New Zealand? Spectacular scenery, extremely yottie friendly people (the only place we've ever been where living on your boat isn't considered odd) and skilled and
available shipwrights everywhere.

And finally, Tasmania where we are now. Again wonderful scenery, very friendly folks and so many great anchorages that they are hard to count. If only the winters were warmer...

And there are so many places we haven't been... so many islands, so little time left for us.

Cheers,

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: