Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 18:53   #1

Boat: 2000 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer
Cruise Troy to Miami

Hi! I have a 2000 Sea Ray sundancer 290 with twin 5.0L EFI and Bravo 2 sterndrive and fully equiped. Our plan is to travel down the Hudson and the ICW. Going from Troy NY to Miami FLA, how many hours or days must i count to do this trip ( average )? And my motors are raw water cooled. Is there going to be a problem to navigate in salt water? Were planning to leave the boat in Florida for 11 month out of the water in storage and pick it up back the next year and do the opposite route.
Is there somebody that made this trip or similar? Thanks!!!
deaufaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cruise Troy to Miami

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, deaufaim.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:07   #3

How fast do you want to do it and is fuel costs an issue?

Assuming 20kt cruise speed and 10hr days along with 6 days per week....a week or two if everything goes perfect (no break downs, no significant weather issues, etc...). This would be a delivery run and not fun.

A more realistic option would be figure an average of say 100-150miles per day and 4 days travel per week...so maybe a month. That's still a bit agressive for our taste but you are a lot less likely to try and go on a day with bad weather.

There is plenty to see so it's very reasonable to take 2-3 months and enjoy a more relaxing trip.

If it's a month down and a month back and you flush the engine when hauled out, shouldn't be a big deal to have a raw water cooled engine.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:11   #4

For long-term, and Hurricane protected, storage Indiantown marina should be on your short list. Also locates you right at the option point to explore either Gulf or Atlantic FL
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaufaim View Post
Hi! I have a 2000 Sea Ray sundancer 290 with twin 5.0L EFI and Bravo 2 sterndrive and fully equiped. Our plan is to travel down the Hudson and the ICW. Going from Troy NY to Miami FLA, how many hours or days must i count to do this trip ( average )? And my motors are raw water cooled. Is there going to be a problem to navigate in salt water? Were planning to leave the boat in Florida for 11 month out of the water in storage and pick it up back the next year and do the opposite route.
Is there somebody that made this trip or similar? Thanks!!!

Maybe you need help in the boat? Cruises from New York to Miami made 8 times. There and back. Time - from 10 days to 5 weeks. Depends on time, fancy and budget. I have all the charts and GPS. I also have a lot of time ..
Smooth sailing!
Janusz
cichal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, miami