Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 09:17   #16

Boat: Island Packet 350
Re: Corpus Christi to Bradenton, FL.

Thank you all for the comments. The boat is 35', full keel, heavy displacement mono.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:24   #17

Boat: Leopard L38

Lots of traffic and oil rigs. The gulf can be really nasty this time of the year! Did it 3 years ago 10-12 footers the whole way!
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:26   #18

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I did the reverse trip from Ft Myers to Houston a few years back, when I delivered my Hughes 38 after I sold it. I went straight across, I was surprised how many oil platforms were out in the gulf, basically the way I remember it, once you passed straight south of New Orleans you can count on having at least one platform always in sight all the way to Texas. You certainly don't want to try this part of the trip solo with a self steering rig and plan on getting any rest.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:36   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I would personally head out of corpus on the port tack, heading south east ish.....once you're out in deep water the production platforms and drilling rigs are few and far between. Then plan on taking 4-6 long tacks all the way across.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:56   #20

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Reminds me of one noteworthy occurrence during my trip.

At one point on a night watch saw a group of small ships/large boats approaching from my port side. The radio went off and they requested that I alter course to my port and go around behind them since they were towing a sonar array (looking for oil?). I said ok, and then they requested that I go around the last ship in their flotilla, which was pretty far back. Why? Because their towed array was 3 miles long!
Now that's some big traffic lol.
Longest detour I've ever made in the middle of nowhere.
I had a similar event about 150 miles out from La. They will get really upset if you get to close.
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:56   #21

One consideration might be to see how the gulfstream is flowing and where. That can add 2-4 knots to your speed which you will lose by sailing straight across.

A lot of sailors would kill for 2-4 extra knots of speed. At 2 knots, that adds 48nm to your trip a day, or 55sm if you prefer.

3 knots is 72nm per day! Woohoo!
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:07   #22

[QUOTE=sheldon957;2270842]One consideration might be to see how the gulfstream is flowing and where. That can add 2-4 knots to your speed which you will lose by sailing straight across.

A lot of sailors would kill for 2-4 extra knots of speed. At 2 knots, that adds 48nm to your trip a day, or 55sm if you prefer.

3 knots is 72nm per day! Woohoo! [/QUOTE
If you look now it would be against you headed to Florida
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:56   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Reminds me of one noteworthy occurrence during my trip.

At one point on a night watch saw a group of small ships/large boats approaching from my port side. The radio went off and they requested that I alter course to my port and go around behind them since they were towing a sonar array (looking for oil?). I said ok, and then they requested that I go around the last ship in their flotilla, which was pretty far back. Why? Because their towed array was 3 miles long!
Now that's some big traffic lol.
Longest detour I've ever made in the middle of nowhere.
Yes, oil exploration vessels. 3 miles is a short one...some tow 5-6 miles of junk behind them.

I had to negotiate around one in heavy squalls once...that was great fun.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:57   #24

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

Will agree with fsmike on this one. Bought Vivi last year this time in Port Aransas and went 100nm out then hooked over to New Orleans. Caught some 12' seas because we were on a time limit never do that again, but made it alright. Yes there are oil rigs but it was not a problem at all. 2 capable crew and one very pissed off father who thought it was going to be like our other boat delivery going down the Tenn Tom!! But now he has salty tales to tell to all his friends. Go for it and go well prepared and you'll be fine. My autopilot gave up 4 hours into the 6 day trip to New Orleans, so I think you might need to add some more time for Bradenton Oh and bring plenty of spare fuel! We had to motor sail a lot.
Fair winds
John
Boatingmadeez.com
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 13:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis4464 View Post
I have made the run from Corpus to FL several times, a few years back. Never tried to make the hop outside. It just never interested me very much. The inside run was always very interesting. CC to Galveston is low country with many small towns to visit. Galveston to New Orleans is swamp, real honest to God swamp. Heavy petroleum traffic with the longest barges I have ever seen. I once saw a raft, with a very small home on it complete with chickens, pigs, dogs, and a guy with about a fifteen hp outboard barely making way. I guess he was moving from his summer site to his winter site.

For most cruisers the trip is a once in lifetime adventure. Something to savor not rush through. Plan on six months. It once took me two years. It is about the journey after all isn't it?
Yeah, love some of this route thru heavy Cajun country. Barataria are south of NOLA is one of my favorite areas...great Cajun seafood and Zydeco music!

I agree that some segments of the inside route can be a great adventure and much more interesting than outside.
Old 02-12-2016, 13:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon957 View Post
One consideration might be to see how the gulfstream is flowing and where. That can add 2-4 knots to your speed which you will lose by sailing straight across.

3 knots is 72nm per day! Woohoo!
Not technically the Gulf Stream in the GOM, but the "Gulf Loop Current" or just "Loop Current". It meaders all over the GOM. Ive run into S of Mobile, but that's unusual...it was on the nose of course!

Good to get current data on the Gulf Loop if running offshore. It can make a big diff...good or bad.

http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu...p-current.html
Old 03-12-2016, 04:43   #27

Boat: Shannon 43 ketch

We made this trip in August 2015. No wind, so most of the trip was on engine. Straight line from Galveston to Venice, LA took two days. We went through serious oil rig territory, but we didn't have any problems. Entered the delta through the Tiger Pass to Venice. Spent two days there at Cyprus Cove Marina, resting and refueling. Crossed the Mississippi River and exited the delta through Baptiste Collette Bayou. Straight line to Clearwater, FL took three days. We have a 43' ketch with a 50hp engine and 83 usable gallons of fuel. The Venice to Clearwater leg used 74 gallons, so you need to know your fuel consumption and range limits.
YellowcakeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:03   #28

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

PHP Code:
[PHP
[/PHP]
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Thats not universal, its installation dependent. Likely a grounding issue. Ive spent a lot of time in the GOM on w lot of different boats and never had that issue.
I'm not sure why it effected my boat so hard, but it was real and effects commercial ships often enough that it's an issue. I've attached a PDF regarding this phenomenon.
The second or third time it happened I started to figure it out as the cables are shown on my chart plotter. As the boat would cross the cable the auto pilot would follow the cable if i allowed it, taking me straight to the next oil derrick.

It's difficult to find information on this subject but it's real.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 00671703.pdf (420.9 KB, 48 views)
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
PHP Code:
[PHP
[/PHP]

I'm not sure why it effected my boat so hard, but it was real and effects commercial ships often enough that it's an issue. I've attached a PDF regarding this phenomenon.
The second or third time it happened I started to figure it out as the cables are shown on my chart plotter. As the boat would cross the cable the auto pilot would follow the cable if i allowed it, taking me straight to the next oil derrick.

It's difficult to find information on this subject but it's real.
Interesting. Well, any sufficiently strong electromagnetic/RF field could do it. Could just be matter of affecting the fluxgate compass.

I crewed on a boat once that had a similar issue every time the SSB xmitted....HARD to port. Always had to remember to steer manually when SSB was in use.