Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 01:03   #1

Comox to Vancouver

Hello all. Hoping to find some wisdom here. I'm from Europe, but will be visiting the Vancouver/Island area this summer with my family (wife plus two girls, 4 and 7 yrs old). We will be joining relatives on a 40' Grand Mariner motor cruiser.
To start off with, we need to make a trip to Vancouver (Port Moody/Coquitlam to be precise) - within two days, to make it to a wedding.

My questions are:
- is this at all possible? I don't know the cruising speed of the Grand Mariner yet, have asked the person who rents it to find out; i would expect 8 knots is not unreasonable.
- what to expect tide/weather wise? I have never been to the area, and am not a yachtsman, but professionally - as a master mariner, and a marine pilot nowadays - I know to respect the forces of nature
- what would be the best route? What is a good stop-over point?
- any tips and tricks to keep little children occupied on a boat. And any other tips for that matter.

Thanks!
haverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:21   #2

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Re: Comox to Vancouver

Not nearly as much of an expert as some, but here is my 2 cents.

Two rather long days, but entirely possible. More likely than not, you'll have light SSE winds and little wave action. Tidal range is huge. The currents in Strait of Georgia are not that fast, but watch your tides/currents tables when going through any narrows, especially under the bridge in Van. It can flow faster than your hull speed, standing waves and all.

If I were you, I'd cross the strait on day 1 and anchor in Smuggler's Cove. Alternatively, if you want civilization rather than wilderness, go along the coast, park on public docks or mooring on the southern side of Newcastle island, Nanaimo. Then enjoy the beer and sunset at the Dinghy Dock Pub.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I'd think it would be two boring days, just travel with the tide. I would have a copy of the tides chart book that is sold in almost every harbor. Use it and make sure and miss whisky delta and you will be fine.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 00:37   #4

Thanks for the input, guys. I think the plan has changed somewhat: the charterer has got back to me and is now mentioning a rental outfit in Nanaimo. That seems a lot more do-able in terms of distance, esp if we don't want to be late for a wedding! Let's hope we'll go with this one. But thanks anyway - and more advice is always welcome!
haverb is offline   Reply With Quote