Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 01:13   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Citizen of Two Countries

Hi all...I was born in Canada but have lived in the US for 28 years. 3 years ago I bought my Ketch in Washington state. At the time, I was only a Canadian and hence, documented the vessel as Canadian. Last year I became a US citizen also. When I leave and or return to the US, am I going to be hasseled at all? Or is it ok if I carry 2 passports?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:25   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The US and Canada only allow one passport and it's to be issued from the country where you reside. My wife has 3 citizinships but resides in the US and so has to use the US passport. If we were to move to Canada she would have to surrender it as soon as she found work or when it expired, which ever came first.

Same with drivers license's.

I would re-document the boat in the US, if that's where you plan to stay. The US border patrol would have a hay day with that.............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:03   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I think the question I am asking is it a problem travelling on a Canadian Doc. vessel with a US passport?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 02:24   #4

You are correct, only need one passport.....US. Unless you are also going to title boat in Canada as well for tax purposes. Good luck
sailaway03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 08:35   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
The Canadian passport would give you the freedom to travel to Cuba....

... Just a thought.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 14:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith'
The Canadian passport would give you the freedom to travel to Cuba....
The embargo applies to all US citizens anywhere in the world, and the federal government has been pretty aggressive about prosecuting people lately. If you have dual citizenship, it might be easier to hide the evidence if you visit Cuba on your non-US passport...

b.t.w. Last I heard, you had to renounce any other citizenships to become a US citizen. Is that no longer the case?
Old 13-02-2007, 17:50   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420
When you take your Oath, you swear to renounce all foreign alegiance. However, the US Govt cannot actually make you rescind your foreign passport. Whether you can be a dual citizen or not is down to your original country. Some see this Oath as a relinquishment of your original Citizenship and some don't. That's it.