Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2011, 21:49   #1

Chef Menteur Pass

Sticky situation I've found myself in on Lake Pontchartrain... I need to get our boat from the north shore to the south shore and into the industrial canal in NOLA. (Seabrook marina). Unfortunately the canal is closed where it runs into the lake due to some post-Katrina construction.

The only two options are to head out east into the Rigolets and enter the ICW there and take it all the way or to head through Chef Menteur pass on the south end of the lake which would bring me to the ICW.

The Rigolets route is about 20 miles out of my way, has heavy shipping, nasty winds and currents, and is probably the more dangerous way to go. However, the chart says that getting to Chef Menteur pass would push me through some shoaling in muddy water. I draw 5.5 feet. I would be at higher risk of grounding.

I wouldn't have even considered the pass but the guy at the marina says that at high tide I can make it no problem. What say you?

I've looked in on activecaptain and found it very helpful but not much on the current depth conditions on the approach to the pass. And I haven't been able to find anymore "local" knowledge. Anyone here have recent knowledge of this pass? And if not, would you trust the guy at the marina or would you go the long way?
Old 26-04-2011, 22:48   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Re: Chef Menteur Pass

I think you have to call to open the rr bridge.I have never used it but have done the rigollets many times.I never saw that much traffic until the icw,think I would go that way really hate to run aground.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 07:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2012 View Post
I think you have to call to open the rr bridge.I have never used it but have done the rigollets many times.I never saw that much traffic until the icw,think I would go that way really hate to run aground.marc

Thanks Marc.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:31   #4

As a follow up for anyone else that has to make this trip... Drawing about 5.5' we were able to make the pass without a problem near high tide. The bridges were easy too, no calling involved, every bridge on the trip responded to VHF 13.

Tags
chef