Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2013, 08:13   #1
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Caribbean to South Africa

Has anyone here sailed from anywhere in the Caribbean to South Africa? Can anyone share what is considered the best way to do it route-wise, as well as time of year. I know its a tougher trip than SA to Carib. I have just bought the Kindle version of Jimmy Cornell's World Voyage Planner so hope that he covers this route/direction (if anyone knows the page number lol)?
__________________

__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:32   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Well... you could head for the Azores then as the winds change veer more E till around 030W... hang a right and ride the winds S... bit of motoring then pick up the E'lies on the other side.. ride them round and slingshot to the Cape...
Around 8-8.5K miles... was going to do that run last year but had a Change of Plan...
Or...beat S against wind and current to the Brazilian coast where you should pick up some favourable wind sooner or later..
Option 3... take the long way round...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:42   #3
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well... you could head for the Azores then as the winds change veer more E till around 030W... hang a right and ride the winds S... bit of motoring then pick up the E'lies on the other side.. ride them round and slingshot to the Cape...
Around 8-8.5K miles... was going to do that run last year but had a Change of Plan...
Or...beat S against wind and current to the Brazilian coast where you should pick up some favourable wind sooner or later..
Option 3... take the long way round...
Hah, tks mate. if we do this I will only have about 3-4 months max so the long way around is toast this time lol. I was thinking that the North Easterlies blow down towards Brazil but not sure if they start as early as Sept/Oct? How far down the South American coast I'm not sure before running across, any thoughts?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:58   #4
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

I see Cornell speaks of Northbound passages from Southern Brazil have to contend with strong NE winds and a contrary SW current between October and February. I am beginning to think that starting out in Sept heading South down the South American coast and then turning Eastwards at (an as yet undetermined latitude), to try and pick up the Westerlies towards Cape Town? What are your thoughts if any Boatman?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 09:13   #5
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Hah, tks mate. if we do this I will only have about 3-4 months max so the long way around is toast this time lol. I was thinking that the North Easterlies blow down towards Brazil but not sure if they start as early as Sept/Oct? How far down the South American coast I'm not sure before running across, any thoughts?
Pilot Chart for N & S Atlantic... its a big wind spiral both sides... mirror effect... lol.
I'd go for the NE-E then SE for the Cape Verdes then running SW and curving round...
I think I'd stay as far off the Brazilian coast as I could...
The slog SE to the corner would be slow hard work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0064[1].jpg
Views:	178
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	61159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0065[1].jpg
Views:	179
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	61160  

__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 09:19   #6
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Tks for the pilot charts, I should have mentioned we will be heading South either from Martinique or Caicos. We will have to watch for Hurricanes for the first part and be very careful. Yeah, its that first bit (haha "bit") to the corner of that lump of land that is the hard bit methinks u right spot on there.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 09:26   #7
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Cornell talks of a departure from the Canaries in late September/early October if heading South to Patagonia, saying that the winds become increasingly Westerly the farther South. he speaks of a fast passage between 5deg S and 35deg S. I wonder whether turning East at somewhere around 33-35 S degrees would be a good bet?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 09:37   #8
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Cornell talks of a departure from the Canaries in late September/early October if heading South to Patagonia, saying that the winds become increasingly Westerly the farther South. he speaks of a fast passage between 5deg S and 35deg S. I wonder whether turning East at somewhere around 33-35 S degrees would be a good bet?
Well... the S.Atlantic chart is for Sept/Oct/Nov averages... the little numbers in the corners of the boxes is average gales (L) and calms(R)...
Winds are.. bolder the arrow.. steadier the wind... the feathers on the arrows indicate wind strength in Beaufort scale
Don't have a 'Plan'... go with what you've got not past averages.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 09:40   #9
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well... the S.Atlantic chart is for Sept/Oct/Nov averages... the little numbers in the corners of the boxes is average gales (L) and calms(R)...
Winds are.. bolder the arrow.. steadier the wind... the feathers on the arrows indicate wind strength in Beaufort scale
Don't have a 'Plan'... go with what you've got not past averages.
Good advice, I agree. At least I have a few months to consider my folly lol.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 09:44   #10
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Cross the Atlantic 3 times: first to the Azores, then follow the coast south a bit (Cape Verde's) then cross to Recife, Brazil, then follow the coast south again and then cross to SA.

nice trip
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 10:16   #11
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Cross the Atlantic 3 times: first to the Azores, then follow the coast south a bit (Cape Verde's) then cross to Recife, Brazil, then follow the coast south again and then cross to SA.

nice trip
Thanks friend. Like Boatman said, I think that hard slog to get to Recife, Brazil is no fun, so like you suggest I think good advice. Any thoughts on how far South down the S AM coast before turning East to SA? I was thinking Rio? Appreciate you and Boatman chipping in, tks.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 11:39   #12
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post

Thanks friend. Like Boatman said, I think that hard slog to get to Recife, Brazil is no fun, so like you suggest I think good advice. Any thoughts on how far South down the S AM coast before turning East to SA? I was thinking Rio? Appreciate you and Boatman chipping in, tks.
It is easy, the Dutch did it for hundreds of years; just go south until Dutch place names disappear (was Dutch Brazil once) and then the winds are good for the crossing. The most important reason for the Dutch to be there was for provisioning and refitting their fleet on the way to the Dutch Indies. Next stop was the Cape which the English had to avoid (Gibraltar was the other way around). The English would go to Reunion instead I believe.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 11:53   #13
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

I didn't know there were any Dutch names in Brazil along the coast? I see tons of Spanish/Portuguese names?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 12:21   #14
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I didn't know there were any Dutch names in Brazil along the coast? I see tons of Spanish/Portuguese names?
You'll find them on nautical maps, little creeks/rivers, bays etc. the area stretches from Tobego all the way down to Salvador. Tobego, the Guyanas, Suriname, North of Brazil were all Dutch at one time or another. Here is some info for Brazil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Brazil
The settlers often preferred Dutch controlled areas because of religeous freedom etc. the first synagogue of the Americas is in Brazil for that reason.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 12:43   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Durban South Africa
Boat: L 34
Posts: 280
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

I have done this trip 3 times. From Antigua, from St Thomas and from Connecticut US. Imagine a large "S" shape. North-east towards Africa, often lots of calms (think Diesel) South towards the Cap Verdes. Cross the Equator as far East as you can manage so as to have a good slant across the S/E trades towards the coast of Brazil. I have stayed around 500 miles off the coast of Brazil down to 30S and 30E as your turning point. From there a slow sagging loop as far south as you need to go to get NW or W winds. Some years you will end up below Tristan other years you will not need to go below 36S. A zigzag course to stay as far north as possible while still looking for favourable winds will see you across the South Atlantic. If you plan to make landfall at Capetown, remember to approach from fairly well south so that the prevailing S/E will romp you home. If you plan to pass the Cape and go on to, say, Durban, be sure to be WELL south (38 to 40 deg) as the combined currents of the Benguella and Agullas make for a very strong stream even in the deep water beyond the Agullas bank. A great trip. Budget for around 80 days non-stop from the Caribbean. The Connecticut trip to Durban took me 92 days.
__________________

__________________
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Africa, Caribbean

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.