Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2010, 23:11   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS 2003
Cabo to La Paz

We're newbies planning to do the Baja Haha and I'm wondering how long we should plan for the trip between Cabo and La Paz? We have a Jeanneau 43. Thanks for any advice.
Susan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 00:00   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
It all depends on what kind of sailing you want to do. Nonstop it's probably 24 to 36 hours depending on conditions. You will likely beat into prevailing wind and the nasty chop which builds up in the Sea of Cortez (1000 miles of fetch). If you plan to stop, it can take however long you like, bearing in mind you need at least three solid days at sea to make the milesif you're stopping at night. There is an absolutely wonderful anchorage at Los Frailles, with great snorkelling and jumping manta rays, worth a couple of days.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 01:41   #3

I'd expect four nights. But then I'm a sailing nut. Especially after rounding the Cape.

Like Dockhead said, Los Frailles, then ...Muertos (Suenos?), then maybe something outside La Paz so you can enter the harbor during the day. You can probably motor there in two days, but why?

It can be windy in the channels among the islands.

Nice sunsets, Killer Whales, sharks.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 01:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
It's about 150 miles altogether but it can be slow, laborious going fighting the chop. I was in a Swan 90 and even in that it was hard going with water on deck and seasick passengers, even though it wasn't blowing that hard (20-odd); in a boat your size you may be in for some fairly hard sailing.

There are really only two places to stop -- Frailles, and Los Muertes -- and it's about 45 miles, then 45 miles, then finally 60 miles, roughtly, from Muertes to La Paz.

Los Muertes is a stunning bay unfortunately marred by some poor quality development all around.

Frailles is gorgeous and rather deserted, with a couple of fishermen shacks. I think it's in the middle of a national park or something; it's quite desolate. That's the place you would want to spend a few days if you have the time. Don't forget your snorkel gear.
Old 14-09-2010, 02:10   #5

Dockhead - You had bad luck on that weather. I've done the Cabo to La Paz trip many times, never any bad weather. Well maybe a wee bit too much wind in the San Lorenzo channel, but not bad.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 04:17   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Dockhead - You had bad luck on that weather. I've done the Cabo to La Paz trip many times, never any bad weather. Well maybe a wee bit too much wind in the San Lorenzo channel, but not bad.
I only did it once, in January year before last, so I can't say how typical it was.

The weather wasn't really bad. It was blowing 20 to 25, which is a good sailing wind in a larger boat like that Swan. But we were close-hauled and that steep chop is some sh*t. It really was a bash.

We probably had too much sail up; we did not have a reef in either the laminate mainsail nor the big yankee (the staysail was furled). It gave us a lot of power to little effect; we were only making 7 or 8 knots and putting a lot of stress on the boat taking all that water on deck. I was not the skipper that trip!
Old 19-09-2012, 15:25   #7

Re: Cabo to La Paz

Hi Susan ... how was your trip ... we are doing the Baja Ha Ha this year and then on to the La Paz area. Did you do a write up on your trip that I can access?

Barb Minton
Yuma, AZ
skierbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 07:07   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierbarb
Hi Susan ... how was your trip ... we are doing the Baja Ha Ha this year and then on to the La Paz area. Did you do a write up on your trip that I can access?

Barb Minton
Yuma, AZ
I don't have a write up, but we enjoyed the HaHa and had a lovely trip from Cabo to La Paz. The weather was calm. We spent 1 night in Los Frailes, 1 in Muertos, and 1 in Puerto Balandra along the way. We left our boat at Marina Palmira for the winter and flew down regularly for trips to the islands (Espiritu Santo, Isla Partida, San Francisco) and over spring break for a trip to Puerto Escondido. We also enjoyed both La Paz and Todos Santos. Instead of doing the bash, we hired a delivery crew (Mike and Marti out of Marina Palmira) who had a very rough trip while we had a very nice week in Cabo. We met them in Ensenada (flew to San Diego, trolley to the border, bus from Tijuana to Ensenada), then took the boat to Baja Naval for some work before bringing her home to LA. While she was in Ensenada, we enjoyed a visit to the Guadalupe Valley where we had a lovely stay at the Villa del Valle and excellent meals there and at LAJA in addition to fun tasting wines around the valley.

I hope you have good weather & enjoy your trip!

Susan
Susan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 21:33   #9

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Cabo to La Paz

I did the haha last year. I stayed in Cabo San Lucas for 2 nights and then left that madness for Puerto Los Cabos.

I (solo) anchorage hopped north with easy daysails/motor-sails: San Jose to Frailles, Frailles to Muertos, Muertos to Bonanza, Bonanza to La Paz. Wind (under 16 knots) was generally on the nose except Bonanza to La Paz.

The anchorages are protected, quiet, beautiful & worth stopping for a while. They gave me a taste of why I sailed south: relaxing, quiet & beautiful.

My suggestion is: don't skip these beautiful anchorages and it also helps to break the speed-sail & destination mentality. Remember, the journey is as important as the destination

I'm commuter cruising out of La Paz (Costa Baja) since last year and loving it. Love small, empty, beautiful, quiet anchorages. Not sure when or if ever--I'll burn out the areas around La Paz north to Loreto. (Told my wife, not sure when or if ever, I'll bring the boat back to SoCal)

The most important thing I've learned this last year... Taking my time---Enjoying my sails/motor-sails, enjoying the anchorages, leaving timelines back in the states
Still haven't decided when I'll ever make it over to the mainland...Still so many places I haven't seen or anchored at!
PM me if you want more info/current experiences.

Tags
la paz