Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2013, 12:53   #1

Boat sitting.

We are a professional couple looking at the opportunity to boat sit down south. We have time in the winter. 2013/14.

I am a real estate agent in the Toronto area. My wife trains horses.
gordo4211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 13:11   #2

Re: Boat sitting.

Brrrrr, "shiver me timbers"... sitting in a boat in Toronto through the winter.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 13:21   #3

LOL..definitely needed to "edit" the post , as we will NOT be sitting a boat in Toronto NOR anywhere else freezing LOL..
Old 20-09-2013, 13:49   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm just wondering why a boat need to be sat? Is it not ok on it's own?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 14:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm just wondering why a boat need to be sat? Is it not ok on it's own?
Honestly...no idea BUT I have read and heard so much in regards to owners needing sailboats/ looked after that a friend recommended I post this....so I will remain positive.. .I can repair pretty much anything, and would even consider swapping my home for the same amount of time ( or more) to gain experience living within the boating community...so if the opportunity presents itself, then we are there....so Mr Celestialsailor...if you ever are in ear shot of an opportunity then by all means contact me...
Old 20-09-2013, 15:08   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Thanx for clarifying. I think the only time a person might want a caretaker would be if the vessel was at anchor in a questionable area. May I suggest a sailing course, then charter a little.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 16:03   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Gordo, Long term boat sitting is uncommon. Usually if a boat is laid up for the off season then it is being looked after by the boat yard or marina where it is kept. And normally laid up boats are not in an especially habitable state (water tanks emptied, bedding bagged and stowed, boat covered w tarps....). Sometimes cruisers will look after each others boats for a short period of time...for example the owner needs to be gone for a few days, but for longer periods the boat is typically laid up (prepared for long term non use).

If you wanted to help defray some expenses, like slip fees for example, then someone might be interested in that, but most I expect will still want an experienced boater aboard who at least knows proper usage of boat systems.

House sitting is far more common. I can think of half a dozen friends doing that right now just here in Panama. No special skills required, just normal upkeep while the owner is away. I think pursuing this option is much more likely to be fruitful for you.

I also know people who "resort sit"...manage a resort/B&B/lodge while the owners take a break...usually during the off season.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote