Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 14:06   #1

Best Bareboat Destination for Scuba?

Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out my next bareboat destination.

We have bareboated the BVIs twice and loved it! We really liked the great dive sites but also the great shore restraunts and bars.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

- Brett
BrettB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 15:48   #2
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: Best Bareboat Destination for Scuba?

Charter out of Phuket will allow you to dive the West coast of Thailand, including the Similan islands. Some pretty awesome diving there.

I'm planning on doing that exact thing in December
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 22:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Charter out of Phuket will allow you to dive the West coast of Thailand, including the Similan islands. Some pretty awesome diving there.

I'm planning on doing that exact thing in December
Do you have a rough itinerary you can share? Looks intriguing.
Old 10-03-2015, 23:07   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB View Post
Do you have a rough itinerary you can share? Looks intriguing.
I'm still at the 'conception' stage, gathering numbers to commit to the charter and so will be influenced by the people who cough up cash.

It will really depend on how long you can stay for and what other areas you want to dive. You could probs just dive the Similan's every day and be very happy - so that would be determined by the boat you choose (speed) and the amount of time you can spend out there (how fat your wallet is )
Old 11-03-2015, 01:01   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

You can easily spend a week or two around Similans. If two consider also Richelieu Rock wich is a bit further NNE. There's a limited amount of buoyus in the dive sites and most of them are occupied during the day by liveaboards so plan your diving for early mornings and evenings to avoid crowds. You need someone on the boat during the dives even if there's free buoy so it's much better to drift and motor back to divers when they ascend. A marker buoy for every diver is a must, preferably with regognizable markings. Don't miss the park fee!
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brett.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 13:32   #7

Boat: Ex Ericson 380

I b/b chartered years ago in the Whitsunday Islands. They were beautiful with great diving. They lie off the Queensland coast inside the Great Barrier Reef.
Capn Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 15:31   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Yep I can recommend the Great barrier reef. havent been there since 1980 but still remember it well, truly magnificent. Not sure if you can bareboat to the outer reef tho.
regards Paul
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 15:51   #9

Nothing in the whole world can compete with the Great Barrier Reef. If you go now you will see some fabulous coral and fish and can even 'Find Nemo'! Better be quick though as the Australian Government is about to lift a lot of safeguards and the UN has warned that it is now listed as 'at risk'. The damage from dredging, shipping and pollution means there's only a limited time left to see the pristine parts of the reef. Don't miss it. It should be on everyone's bucket list.
On Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 16:01   #10

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Yep I can recommend the Great barrier reef. havent been there since 1980 but still remember it well, truly magnificent. Not sure if you can bareboat to the outer reef tho.
regards Paul
Unfortunately you can't bareboat on the GBR only Whitsunday Islands. The northern end of the Islands offers the best visability.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 17:00   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

May not be what interests you but, one of the top ten cruising destinations is the North Channel of Lake Huron in the Great Lakes. (Canada) Several charters available. This is a place you go in July/August. Fresh water. Do a Google Earth & check the photos. A little south in between Georgian Bay & Lake Huron there is a dive park with many wrecks. (Bruce Peninsula)There are no roads in to many of the destinations. Very friendly people & safe. Many people spend two to three months there every year. Most people start in Little Current. Baei Fine has some of the most spectacular scenery and hiking. The Benjamin Islands are a popular favorite.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 17:04   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Unfortunately you can't bareboat on the GBR only Whitsunday Islands. The northern end of the Islands offers the best visability.
Yeah it's a small area for bareboats, I've got the brochures here somewhere.

More generally ... You really need to dive the outer reef for good diving. Anything close to the whitsundays is WELL dived. I dived Bait Reef last year and the colours were poor, saw a tiny reef shark and the dive companies are feeding Giant Trevallys and Wrasse at the back of the dive boat...

I won't go back there.
Old 11-03-2015, 17:05   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
You can easily spend a week or two around Similans. If two consider also Richelieu Rock wich is a bit further NNE. There's a limited amount of buoyus in the dive sites and most of them are occupied during the day by liveaboards so plan your diving for early mornings and evenings to avoid crowds. You need someone on the boat during the dives even if there's free buoy so it's much better to drift and motor back to divers when they ascend. A marker buoy for every diver is a must, preferably with regognizable markings. Don't miss the park fee!
Great post, thank you!
Old 11-03-2015, 21:39   #14

Thanks for all the tips so far! As mentioned by someone else, the Great Barrier Reef isn't really an option for bareboat.

Definitely getting very interested in Similan Islands and other areas around Phuket, this itinerary example looks ideal if I can manage to make 2 weeks happen: http://www.pansails.com/en/asia2014.php

Any other locations, outside of Thailand, that I should look into?
Old 05-04-2015, 16:07   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB View Post
Thanks for all the tips so far! As mentioned by someone else, the Great Barrier Reef isn't really an option for bareboat.

Definitely getting very interested in Similan Islands and other areas around Phuket, this itinerary example looks ideal if I can manage to make 2 weeks happen: pansails.com

Any other locations, outside of Thailand, that I should look into?
A wee bit further south is also supposed to have good diving, out of Langkawi.

Indo is a great spot as well though I haven't looked at chartering down there yet. I started another thread about chartering in this area but I'm not sure anyone on here has really done it; no responses ..

When are you planning on going? I've convinced friends to do it over Christmas and NYE this year and I'm trying to figure out exactly where we'll go ...

Tags
bareboat, destination, scuba