Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-05-2012, 06:44   #31
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Re: Bass Strait Crossing - Info Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Good luck with the trip. If you are going to be stuck somewhere due to weather it's probably nicer at Lakes than Queenscliffe anyway.

I'm not surprised you didn't enjoy yesterday's conditions, some of Melbourne had a months rainfall in one day!

Where are you actually from?

Edit: oops I just saw you are from Perth.
Yep, get up that coast as quick as you can weather wise. We all saw what happened to that Cat off Eden in 45 plus knots recently so be careful with the winds off Gabo area.
OK I am from Perth (and I am still here ). Ozmate is from Williamstown. A little confusing as there is a bit of thread drift occurring but all is good .

I am slowly gathering info for a possible Bass Strait crossing next summer and every bit helps.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 20:49   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch

A good read on a summer cruise....

My Sailing: Satori in the Strait - Reflections on a summer Bass Strait cruise!

Old 26-05-2012, 21:58   #33

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft
Thumbs up Re: Bass Strait Crossing - Info Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmate View Post
My hubbie and I are at Queenscliff at the moment waiting for weather to improve to head north, I am petrefied :S, We think it should be better by Monday.... Any hints/advise ???
Quote:
Todays conditions are better, yesterdays conditions were horrific and very scary and all I could think was "What have we done " !!!

Hubbie is quite calm and confident but I dont have much experience and I worry that I will not be able to help him and support him.
Hi ozmate

The best advice we can give is just wait for the perfect weather and go for it - and dont be afraid to use that engine if you need to keep the speed up and stay ahead of the weather. Bass Strait is not a place to get caught out. Check the video on our blog for example of how good it can get in the right conditions. We had West to North Westerlies which seemed to push the swell down.

There is a big high on the way so youre sure to have a great opportunity. Being at sea for days can be really challenging, and there are times when Ive felt Im not being as much help to the skipper as I'd like (I get seasick, he doesnt) but as long as youre on hand to help in any tricky situations, and can make a cup of tea every now and again you'll be helping. Make sure you get plenty of rest while youre underway - passes the time and helps me feel better. Oh, and try and have a sense of humour about it all - I have those "what have we done!?" moments all the time and sometimes you have two choices - either you laugh or you cry! The discomfort is only temporary and the feeling of arriving after a tough trip is fantastic!

We are currently in Eden, and will be around until at least Thursday. Keep an eye out for us - we are the steel sloop with all the rust stains! - and we'll help catch your lines when you arrive!

Good luck - have a great trip.
Caitlin
Old 26-05-2012, 23:36   #34

Boat: Olympic 40 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK I am from Perth (and I am still here ). Ozmate is from Williamstown. A little confusing as there is a bit of thread drift occurring but all is good .

I am slowly gathering info for a possible Bass Strait crossing next summer and every bit helps.
Sorry Wotname for hijacking your thread
Old 26-05-2012, 23:39   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSun View Post
Hi ozmate

The best advice we can give is just wait for the perfect weather and go for it - and dont be afraid to use that engine if you need to keep the speed up and stay ahead of the weather. Bass Strait is not a place to get caught out. Check the video on our blog for example of how good it can get in the right conditions. We had West to North Westerlies which seemed to push the swell down.

There is a big high on the way so youre sure to have a great opportunity. Being at sea for days can be really challenging, and there are times when Ive felt Im not being as much help to the skipper as I'd like (I get seasick, he doesnt) but as long as youre on hand to help in any tricky situations, and can make a cup of tea every now and again you'll be helping. Make sure you get plenty of rest while youre underway - passes the time and helps me feel better. Oh, and try and have a sense of humour about it all - I have those "what have we done!?" moments all the time and sometimes you have two choices - either you laugh or you cry! The discomfort is only temporary and the feeling of arriving after a tough trip is fantastic!

We are currently in Eden, and will be around until at least Thursday. Keep an eye out for us - we are the steel sloop with all the rust stains! - and we'll help catch your lines when you arrive!

Good luck - have a great trip.
Caitlin
Caitlin thank you so much for your messege its so good to read that I am not the only one feeling like this

I will be sending you a PM

kind regards
Old 27-05-2012, 00:33   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry Wotname for hijacking your thread
Feel free .
I am learning stuff without having to post - all good
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-05-2012, 00:34   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Thanks IH
Old 27-05-2012, 18:22   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Wotname,

Haven't posted before because all of our Bass St crossings have been oriented around departure from/arrival at Eden. On one trip we did venture westward to Deal Island and the KEnt group but all the rest were aimed to/from the east coast of Tassie.

With that caveat, we have found that mid January offered good weather for the southbound crossing. We wait in Eden for a slow moving high. When the center is nearby we set out, beating against the diminishing southerlies or motoring if it has become calm. Soon we get a building northerly quadrant wind as the back side of the high slides over us, and this has always lasted long enough to reach the mainland of Tasmania. When the wx deteriorates it is always with a frontal passage and a backing wind to the SW. There are plenty of good spots to sit out that condition from Eddystone on down the coast: Seaton Cove, Cozy Corner, Binalong Bay, St Helens (if your draft permits entry), Bicheno, Wineglass Bay... With the exception of St Helens, none of these offer 360 degree protection, but are good for southerlies. Some have shore facilities, some don't, but all are safe havens.

Northbound later in the year we will harbour hop as far as possible. This year we got as far as the St Helens area, waited there for a small front to pass by and then jumped on the S'ly winds that followed. Had diminishing strength and a light air passage across to the mainland and Eden. This methodology has always worked in the past. That was our 18th crossing, by the way (9 round trips)...

Tassie is a superb cruising ground (that's why we keep going back). If the winters were less daunting to us tropical types I might never leave!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-05-2012, 02:21   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks JC, I can use the Tassie east coast info to good effect .

By the way , do you have any experience of the Port Huon Marina. I have only looked at it from it's car park!
Old 28-05-2012, 16:21   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks JC, I can use the Tassie east coast info to good effect .

By the way , do you have any experience of the Port Huon Marina. I have only looked at it from it's car park!
G'Day WN,

We've gone into that marina by dinghy but not used it ourselves. Didn't go there this year, but have heard that the owner (maybe a new one) is developing it fairly aggressively. If that includes dredging the sorta dodgy entrance channel, it might well be a good spot. Certainly well protected, and with decent access to the wonderful cruising grounds of the D'EntreCasteaux.. (sp?) channel.

However, our all time favorite place around there is Port Cygnet. No marina, but lots of moorings... The Pt Cygnet sailing club is extremely friendly, has a nice facility, runs lots of local races, has a good youth program... what's not to like?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 31-05-2012, 04:00   #41

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
How did the trip go?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
How did the trip go?
Dirkdig, I am assuming you are asking me how the trip went !

No problems what soever through the Rip, Queenscliffe to Refuge Cove not bad, 2 metre swells and approx 17knot winds, I was pretty seasick but overall better than I expected. Refuge Cove to Lakes Entrance no wind so we motored 17 hours out of 20 with no problems much easier passage than the previous. However we left Lakes Entrance on Saturday on our way to Eden and the motor started to overheat, long story short, we are in Lakes Entrance waiting till tomorrow to talk to a mechanic and decide what we are doing, we keep putting money on this motor and eventually gives us grief.

thanks everyone for all your help and advice.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00   #43

As a matter of interest how long did you stay at Refuge an what did you think of it?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
As a matter of interest how long did you stay at Refuge an what did you think of it?
We only went there to have a rest/sleep overnight, its a very pretty safe place,there was another yacht there at the same time, I have been told that in summer you can get upto 30 yachts, you can go for walks etc there but we didnt

here is our blog with a little bit more info Slow Boat to China (Eden) | Bravado Breeze
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15   #45

I sure hope you have been tied up securely the last couple of days, the weather in Melbourne has been attrocious.

At Traralgon an hour or so drive from where you are it rained 7 inches in one day on the weekend!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: