Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-05-2012, 08:01   #16

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos
Re: Bass Strait Crossing - Info Please.

Sailing in cold weather means Wool: gloves, pants, shirts and underwear if you can find it. Any wool suit works great! I wore my dry divers suit as weather gear">foul weather gear crossing the North Atlantic and it worked great. The cabin will become soaked from breath. Everything will get wet so put it in bags.

artisthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 08:12   #17
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisthos View Post
Sailing in cold weather means Wool: gloves, pants, shirts and underwear if you can find it. Any wool suit works great! I wore my dry divers suit as foul weather gear crossing the North Atlantic and it worked great. The cabin will become soaked from breath. Everything will get wet so put it in bags.
Ahh good advice! I am new to cold water sailing and so have been stocking up on Icebreaker - New Zealand Merino Wool Clothing for Outdoor and Performance Sports and Merino whenever I see it on a genuine sale!

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 08:56   #18

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos

Right on, and bring a lanolin bottle to restore what the sea takes
artisthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 06:07   #19

Boat: Olympic 40 1980

My hubbie and I are at Queenscliff at the moment waiting for weather to improve to head north, I am petrefied :S, We think it should be better by Monday.... Any hints/advise ???
Old 25-05-2012, 07:11   #20

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
You have 3 points to stop off or shelter along the way.
The weather forcasts are very accurate i have found.
if you go into lakes enterance really try to do it during daylight as the lights and channel markers are very confusing at night.
Good docks there to tie up to in the middle of town.
No real phone or internet reception at both Wilsons prom and going around Gabo island.
Done the trip the last 3 years.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:16   #21

Dirk beat me to it.

After Saturday is looking pretty good at a guess if not Saturday argo. Given they are talking south and south westerlies, Refuge Cove is a good spot to stop over as suggested. From there, Port Welshpool, Port Albert and Lakes Entrance which is the last stop for a bit. Given the south and south westerlies it in theory should be a nice trip up to Gabo.

The longer you wait at Queenscliiff, the colder she's gonna get!

Lakes Entrance is the pick of the bunch out of that lot. Real supermarkets and McDonalds next to the water, the others are fishing villages in comparison and out of the way to get to.

PS Dirk: my iPhone gets phone calls and weather forecasts on Telstra at the western end of the southern beach at Refuge Cove, just near the boat campers area on the beach.

Confuses the hell out of the hikers that are walking past you after 18 kms of trekking from Mt Oberon and hours there by car to see you talking on the mobile in such a remote place!
Old 25-05-2012, 07:38   #22

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Never had the chance to get into refuge as yet,looks like a top spot sailing past.
We found last April there was a 2-3 knot current running from Lakes to Gabo which got us really moving.
Once we turned the corner it was 2-3 knots coming down the coast.
For us its a stop at Lakes to manage the weather window or next stop Sydney.
But we always seem to be in a hurry.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:44   #23

Sure it's nice but doesn't have much, just blue water on a nice sunny day, a nice little creek, drinking water, camping spots, shelter, scenery and walking tracks. No shops for 40? miles though. The most I've seen in there would be 30 overnight including smallish fishing boats from Port Welshpool. While people have ridden jet skis in there depending on the weather you wouldn't go there in less than about a 20 plus ft power boat as its certainly not a place to break down if you only have one engine!
Old 25-05-2012, 14:21   #24
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Sounds perfect!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 18:12   #25

Thank you Dirk, Ausaviator and Wotname for your replies.

Todays conditions are better, yesterdays conditions were horrific and very scary and all I could think was "What have we done " !!!

Hubbie is quite calm and confident but I dont have much experience and I worry that I will not be able to help him and support him.

We are still looking at departing Monday and if we can do it go all the way to Eden if not we will stop at Refuge cove and/or Lakes Entrance

cheers
Old 25-05-2012, 18:33   #26

Good luck with the trip. If you are going to be stuck somewhere due to weather it's probably nicer at Lakes than Queenscliffe anyway.

I'm not surprised you didn't enjoy yesterday's conditions, some of Melbourne had a months rainfall in one day!

Where are you actually from?

Edit: oops I just saw you are from Perth.
Yep, get up that coast as quick as you can weather wise. We all saw what happened to that Cat off Eden in 45 plus knots recently so be careful with the winds off Gabo area.
Old 26-05-2012, 00:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Good luck with the trip. If you are going to be stuck somewhere due to weather it's probably nicer at Lakes than Queenscliffe anyway.

I'm not surprised you didn't enjoy yesterday's conditions, some of Melbourne had a months rainfall in one day!

Where are you actually from?

Edit: oops I just saw you are from Perth.
Yep, get up that coast as quick as you can weather wise. We all saw what happened to that Cat off Eden in 45 plus knots recently so be careful with the winds off Gabo area.

Thanks Ausaviator,

We are from Williamstown and the wind and rain was very strong yesterday here in Queenscliff
Old 26-05-2012, 01:29   #28

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Can't have been colder than 2 weeks ago .
12 years living in Sweden have taught me that Aussies are as weak as piss when it comes to "cold" weather

I'll never again complain that winters day of 10c in Melbourne is cold although the accompanying rain and wind will still make it miserable

As for Bass Strait, join the Melbourne - Launceston race

If you want to cross in short hops you could always head to refuge cove in the prom, then Deal island and just island hop in a few day sails.
Old 26-05-2012, 02:45   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch

Just a small snapshot of the last 24 hours or so on board the Pacific Valkyrie in Bass Strait...

We departed the West Tuna platform location (38˚11.5'S 148˚23.4'E) at around 0430 on the 25th with the Derrick Barge DB30 in tow (length of tow 1100m), wind was blowing steadily WSW at 15 to 20 knots

Around 2200 last night, a sister ship of ours was still 10nm SW of the West Tuna location when they recorded 70 knot gusts. At 0330 this morning, about 4nm off Seaspray heading SW for Corner Inlet, we started recording a sustained 50 knot breeze for about 3 hours which had us actually going astern at 1.2 knots...

Now in Corner Inlet, we are in the process of anchoring and disconnecting the derrick barge and it's blowing a steady 30-35 knots....

We are staying here for a few days while things settle down before heading back up to location.....that was a bumpy 26 hours, time for a big feed and sleep......

Keep a real good eye on the weather.....
Old 26-05-2012, 06:09   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Just a small snapshot of the last 24 hours or so on board the Pacific Valkyrie in Bass Strait...

We departed the West Tuna platform location (38˚11.5'S 148˚23.4'E) at around 0430 on the 25th with the Derrick Barge DB30 in tow (length of tow 1100m), wind was blowing steadily WSW at 15 to 20 knots

Around 2200 last night, a sister ship of ours was still 10nm SW of the West Tuna location when they recorded 70 knot gusts. At 0330 this morning, about 4nm off Seaspray heading SW for Corner Inlet, we started recording a sustained 50 knot breeze for about 3 hours which had us actually going astern at 1.2 knots...

Now in Corner Inlet, we are in the process of anchoring and disconnecting the derrick barge and it's blowing a steady 30-35 knots....

We are staying here for a few days while things settle down before heading back up to location.....that was a bumpy 26 hours, time for a big feed and sleep......

Keep a real good eye on the weather.....
Thanks Island Hopper for sharing your last 24 hours, I really feel for you and hope that the rest of your journey is much better.

Take care

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: