Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2006, 07:54   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Are there ay Circumnavigators here?

Have any of you gone around the world on a boat?
Old 15-01-2006, 15:40   #2
Kai Nui

Sometimes it's actually painfull not take the low road, but... since this is a family website, All I will say is it is in my plans, and I can introduce you to several friends of mine who have done it. (sailing around the world that is)
Old 15-01-2006, 19:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The broker that I bought our boat through sailed around the world. I think it was a 2 year trip. He said that he would not want to do it again although he did say it was worth doing once,
Old 15-01-2006, 19:40   #4
Kai Nui

A two year trip!?! No wonder he doesn't want to do it again! My plans start with 5 years, and most likely will take 7-8. That is the time frame that seems to fit all of the circumnavigators I know. Oddly, without exception, they have taken off from Mexico, and made the Polynesian islands their first stop. I guess get the longest crossing out of the way first. Most seem to approach the Indian ocean crossing as not worth mentioning.
Old 15-01-2006, 22:40   #5
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Heh Heh Kainui, I was going to ask if you were ever a commercial fisherman but I remember, you were a biker.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 22:55   #6
Kai Nui

We had a 36' salmon boat built in Fort Bragg in 1946. Never made any money with it. That's about as close as I got. Got some of my sea time on a net boat, but just as a helmsman. (A long story. I needed seatime for my 100 ton)
A biker for most of my life.
Not sure wich one spawned my perverted sense of humor
Old 16-01-2006, 04:27   #7

I had to be circumnavigated when I was a child,but I dont know about those other 2 posts above me.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 23:22   #8
Kai Nui

Mudnut, if you tell me that it was a 24000 mile trip I must solute you
And before this goes totally off the deep end, (sorry abotu that Gunner), WHat questions were you hoping to have answered? Besides extensive research, I have spent allot of time discussing this with friends who have accomplished it. If I can not answer your questions directly, it may be an excuse to get a few of these people to participate in this forum.
Old 17-01-2006, 06:38   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just wanted to know if any real sailors were here! Only kidding. I would like to know what makes someone do it. Some leave their family for years. Some would call them selfish doind such a thing. Is it worth the cost?
Old 17-01-2006, 07:16   #10
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
We are (sort of) planning a circumnavigation starting next year. Why? Because we're in our 40s and we can.
We have accepted we may never make it, as we have every intention of spending as long as possible in every single place we enjoy so may run out of time.
Our biggest concern is the inevitable passing on of family members and spending what time we can with them in their advancing years. We haven't worked out a way of addressing this yet except for convincing them to join us occassionally. I guess a lot of us here are in this situation. Any ideas?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 09:56   #11

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Nope - not me either

We've covered lots of miles but never had the time so far to consider a complete circumnavigation and not sure I'd actually want to put the time into doing one.
The only people we've known who've done it were either on race boats or record breaking type solo sailors and IMHO all were nutters of one type or another.
Several sensible pals who've gone off cruising from downunder have at best after four years got to the Med - or seen themselves well settled into the Pacific / Indian Ocean rims. Some from the UK have got as far as Panama - but none so far have got any further.
IMHO there is a lot of world out there and heaps to see and experience in almost every region / country. Its all usually good, so no rush, and probably no complete circumnavigation ever for me.
Cheers
JOHN
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 10:51   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I sometimes think about going around the world. It is not something we are planning but I would not completely rule it out.
Old 17-01-2006, 13:38   #13

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
the big roundabout

Planning on doing it in a few years with wife and kids. Gotta retire first and get a boat suitable for the purpose. It was actually CinCHomeFleet's idea, after she read "Sailing Promise" about a couple's trip around in a Prout catamaran. Have since read more books about families that have done the same - notably the Stuemers in Northern Magic and the Copelands in Bagheera. Funny thing - they all came from Canada - maybe it's a crazy canuck thing to do.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 17:36   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Talking

Sorry pwederell I'm not very impressed!

Considering where you are starting from how long will it take - a week, maybe a month
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 18:22   #15
Kai Nui

Gunner, if you haven't yet, listen to my show. That is one of the questions I ask all of my guests. Including the Pardeys, as well as a couple of noteable circumnavigators. The reasons vary, but the bottom line is "because it was time". I would also recommend highly reading the book "Gentlmen Never Sail to Weather" by Denny Moore. An accidental circumnavigation by an unseasoned sailor (his words not mine)