Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-01-2006, 21:23   #16

Denny Moore

If anybody decides to look up this author on amazon.com . Or any other book finding site. Denny Moore is often found spelled, Denton R. Moore.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 09:58   #17

Boat: caliber 40lrc Soul Searcher
I've wanted to go all the way around since I was very young .
It seems to be a natural progresion to me. I really want to see OZ and the south pacific. If I make it from florida to OZ there is no way I'm turning around and going back. I know, never say never.
In all I've read there seems to be two types of cruisers ones that are very happy to stay in a givin area for years and ones that want to try and see it all! I know one thing about myself and that is I truelly love being underway. for me getting there is the funnest part. The worst job I ever had, and no offense to anyone was pushing barges in LA. sitting still for days on end waiting for fog to lift, wind to stop, locks to be fixed , crane opperater to show up, oil rigs to get ready for crane operator........ It was mind numbing torture. What I,m trying to say is it was too much sitting not enough going. I know when we go we will sit alot but is diferent when you can take time to explore. I think the balance between being underwayand riding the hook is different for every one. as for me I'm looking forward to my up coming voyage of discovery. hope fully When I'm done I will have made it all the way around. I think for myself it would be the accomplishment of my life. but I would completely dismis circumnavigation if it were the only goal of the trip. To go around as fast as you can just to say you have done it some how cheapens (is that a word) the whole idea. I'll never get to see it the way Drake or Cook did because ive already seen pics and read articals and that is sad. Buffet needs to up date that song to four hundred years to late.

Old 26-02-2006, 10:05   #18
Kai Nui

Irwinsailor posted earlier here about a guy that made the trip in 2 years, and would not do it again. This illustrates your point exactly. Jimmy Cornell recommends at least 4 years for a circumnavigation. 6-8 seems to be the norm with people I have talked to.
Old 26-02-2006, 11:08   #19

Two years would be marathon sailing. I followed Woody's trip in Lats it was also two years and as I recall the subject of having more time to hang out came up several times. It comes back to the no deadline rule.
Old 26-02-2006, 13:16   #20
Kai Nui

Then there's Ellen. What was it?... 80 something days? Hell, why waste time tith all those stops
Old 27-02-2006, 00:00   #21

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
How long? Surely its a matter of choice?

Time is sadly the one thing that' we don't all have.

If one has nothing else in ones life than sailing, then one has as long as one has left on this earth to enjoy world cruising.

But if like most people, sailing is maybe important but other things in life are important too, then IMHO better to rush it in two years than never to do it at all.

That's the beauty of the freedom sailing brings - you can do what you choose to do.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 27-02-2006, 00:10   #22

Amen to that John.

It would be great if a whole lot of us, could just get up and go on a world cruise?

I myself have not planned that far ahead. But a partial world cruise is one of my plans. And that's mostly the southern hemisphere!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 27-02-2006, 10:49   #23

I agree Its diferent for every one Viva la differance!
Yea Captain K and with an endless supply of time and fun tickets
Pwederell if you ever find a solution to the aging and ill family members issue let me know. We worry about that too. We both have our parents with us still but that time is coming.
We are not discounting the possibility that we may only make it 100 miles and find some place that we just can't leave. you never know.
Old 27-02-2006, 11:22   #24

Well Soul Searcher.

Unfortnately, only my mother is alive. My father died over 25 years ago. I would love to take my mother sailing. But she's too chicken (afraid) to go out to sea.

She has always wanted to go OZ. But, nowdays she can barely get around on her feet. And if anyone here knows. Alot of sightseeing in OZ, entails walking around? She would have to remain mostly next to. Or near a automobile!! Due to her health!! And she's almost 74 years old!!

For me. I'm in my late 30's. So I still have time. But as you get older. Time flies by more faster.

"Faster than the speed of light?"

Old 27-02-2006, 13:49   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Kevin:
As a youth in your late 30's, you have only a little first hand knowledge of "getting old".
Cherish your 'mid-life', and revel in the infamous 'crisis'.
Like most things, this too, will pass - and you'll become older & perhaps wiser, and wonder where it all went. It's not so much that you "... still have time ..." - but more, "now IS the time.

"Youth is wasted on the young" ~ another irascible old fart (like me, - or is it, as I?).

FWIW,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 17:44   #26

Thanks Gord!!

Old 28-02-2006, 02:13   #27

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Go on Capt K - take her to Oz

You'll find it is not unlike the wide open parts of the USA where you could see most of it from a car or a camper van.........

Cheers
JOHN
Old 28-02-2006, 02:51   #28

hey CaptainK,If ya do come to OZ,Your mum and you have allways got a place to stay or base from,wont cost ya a cent!!!Only one rule"No Rules"Fart away!!
Old 28-02-2006, 02:58   #29

Hmmm?

I'll keep that in mind Mudnut!!

Thanks John for your wonderful input.

I am not through with my mother yet?

I still plan to present my wonderful idea to her. So we'll see?

Old 04-05-2006, 00:26   #30

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Circumnavigation?

I have sailed around the world.

Westabout from the east coast of America, on two different boats with two different wives.

Panama to Hawaii, Wake, Saipan, Guam, Rabaul, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Guam, Yap, Palau, Philippines, Borneo, Bali, S'pore, Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Oman, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt, Cyprus, Turkey, Greece, Crete, Malta, Sicily, Sardinia, Balerics, Costa del Sol, Gibralter, Morocco, Canaries Caribbean...

Started in 1985 at age 30 and connected the dots in 2001 at age 46.

Actually... I guess I started at age 20 aboard an aircaft carrier, which took me from San Diego to Singapore and back. I suppose that's what set the hook to begin with.

My personal cruising style has always been to venture forward and then settle down and work a while in the places I like. I've had great jobs in Hawaii, Saipan, Cairns, PNG, Guam, Bali (3 years!), Cyprus, Malta & now in the Caribbean (4 years & counting). I've always been able to make ends meet by sewing canvas, commercial hard hat diving & as a licensed boat captain. I've never really made a lot of money - but I'm a rich man, never-the-less, because I learned a long time ago that I really don't need much money to enjoy this world we're visiting.

Now I'm 50 years of age and have recently sold our 37 and moved up to a 49 ft cutter. But this time I decided to keep my Australian wife and our 2 1/2 year old son - both the ultimate cruising souvineers.

We're still loving the good life in the Caribbean, slaving & saving to top-up the cruising kitty and gearing-up for our next great sailing adventure... a slow meander back across the Pacific to visit our favorite places enroute to the other places we missed during the first go 'round. We'll settle down in Australia and go no further than Bali this time... well... okay... maybe we'll go to Phuket and maybe Chagos... but I really dont think we'll be coming back to America any time soon.

In closing I'll share three inspirational sentences which I read on a wall while checking into our first Egyptian port in the Red Sea:

"On an ancient wall near Cairo, where a dusty Pharoh blinks,
deeply graven is the message - 'It is Later Than you Think'.

The Clock of Life is wound but once, and no man has the power
to tell just when the hands will stop - at late or early hour.

NOW is all the time you own, the past a golden link,
Go cruising now, my brother - It is Later Than you Think."

See yawl out there.

Carry on,

Kirk ~~~_/) ~~~ s/v Gallivanter ~~~ St Thomas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: