Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 14:31   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Any Chesapeake Experts Out There?

Hi ya all,

I am going to charter an FP Orana over July 4th holiday and was wondering if there were any good anchorages or docks where one could be on the boat over nite while having a good view of fireworks. Needs to be in the Annapolis / Baltimore +- 50 mil area.... Also, where are the best little harbor towns / anchorages in that area... This is my sales trip for the Wife... so want it to go really well...

cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 15:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Try the Magothy river. We went there year before last and it was a great time. The rich folks on Gibson Island put on an impressive show for a private affair, though how private can it be when you are shooting things a couple hundred feet in the air and exploding them?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 16:14   #3

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
Best I have ever seen on the bay were at Solomons Island last year.
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 16:32   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Some years you can catch 3 displays. I have done this with the kids as a tour callenge. Some of the smaller displays arent around anymore. The last years I have been on my way off the bay. So this is a bit off date. Rockhall had one I liked the anchorage inside Harts point not the best works but the spot worked. Annapolis the year we went got nailed by a squall. The works got screwed up and the anchorage off the academy is scarey wouldn't do it again. There is a little cove north west of the academy on the severn which was a nice spot. St.Michaels is usually good as well. Solomons is good. best to find the schedule in spinsheet and then go where the weather lets you. Sometimes the smaller shows have beter ambiance.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 19:16   #5

Boat: GS 52 - Shenanigans
My family has always enjoyed the 4th of July fireworks in Annapolis Harbor. While it's not as grand as NY Harbor at OpSail, it's pretty cool. There are lots of boats, but you get to anchor close enough to the fireworks that you get the "percussive" effects. You not only see the fireworks, you feel them. When it's over, a thousand boats take off in different directions, but you can stay in Annapolis Harbor, or go around the corner to Back Creek.
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 20:05   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Baltimore is great...get a slip...don't try to be in the midst of the Powerboaters who motor in and drift around.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 20:12   #7

Boat: 1983 Bristol 35.5 - "CAPRIOLE" Hull #123
Annapolis 4th has been a regular for our family for nearly 20 years (give or take a few visits out of state). We always anchor in Annapolis harbor for the "show", come early, have wine, etc & dinner, then enjoy. This has almost always been the second day (first day at Rock Hall which has a great show 7/09 our latest.) We would recommend not staying in the harbor overnight. Very rocky, crazy and as said earlier, 100s of boats all over, just crazy! Usually we head southeast around the point and into Whitehall Creek bay. We have 2 shelties that need a great walk after a day on the boat and a good swim. Easy to use dingy to shore and great anchorage. About 1 hour sail/motor from Annapolis harbor. Have gone south of Annapolis about 45 min into Lake Ogleton, but not as pretty as Whitehall. There are great anchorages north of Annapolis on the Severa River, very beautiful and lots of nice little "side creeks" to throw the hook for the night. Great restaurants along Severa River from the boat. The Annapolis 4th is great! 10 grand kids from all over the country want to make the trip "back east" to nana's and papa's "HEBE". Have fun
StormSailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:09   #8

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Hi ya all,

I am going to charter an FP Orana over July 4th holiday and was wondering if there were any good anchorages or docks where one could be on the boat over nite while having a good view of fireworks. Needs to be in the Annapolis / Baltimore +- 50 mil area.... Also, where are the best little harbor towns / anchorages in that area... This is my sales trip for the Wife... so want it to go really well...

cheers
There is a good fireworks show in downtown Norfolk, Va and there are two docks and an anchorage ... but that's a bit out of your intended area.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:25   #9

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Baltimore has really great fireworks but we usually watch them from the roof deck of our house in the inner harbor. If you go to Baltimore get a slip. They are not that expensive but you might want to make your reservation well in advance.
Usually on that weekend we then drive down to our marina (Herrington Harbour South) about 30 miles south of Annapolis and watch the fireworks there. They also have a great show and usually the day before or after the show in Baltimore. There's lots of places to anchor in Herring Bay right off the marina.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:45   #10

The Sherwood Forest neighborhood up the Severn River does its fireworks display on the 3rd. It's good!
molly_spinsheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:20   #11

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Thanks everyone.... that is REALLY helpful... HUM.. Baltamore or Annapolis... will I guess I will let the weather decide..

Any nice little "walk around" harbor towns in that neck of the woods ?

Thanks again..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:24   #12

St. Michaels, Oxford, and Annapolis are among the best!
molly_spinsheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:40   #13

Boat: Tartan 40
4th

I highly recommend Annapolis- also a neat destination in and of itself. Get there early and anchor off of seawall, and water taxi or dinghy into town, take a tour of USNA, walk around, then back to boat for fireworks
Baltimore is too stressful by boat unless you get a slip, although very nice display. It is better enjoyed by land.
I typically overnight in Annapolis after the fireworks. Last year I got there around 2 pm and was able to anchor up near Naval Academy seawall. Fireworks were great, and it was calm so not bad overnight. If it is choppy, only 30 minutes to Whitehall Bay next door.

Fun part of any fireworks display like this one is staying anchored afterwards and watching the mayhem of all the little powerboats leaving. Even more fun is keeping count of how many RED running lights you see among the sea of green, and vice versa. Scary how many little powerboats have them reversed....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote