Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 18:10   #1

Boat: Mason 44
Advice on FL to Alabama routes?

My family and I are planning to cruise late May to Mobile, Alabama from SW Florida. Any suggestions or advice from someone who has made the trip? Especially in regard to getting into Mobile Bay?

We are well equipped for watching weather but have never made this trek. I have GPS and appropriate paper charts that I have been studying closely. Just want any local knowledge or thoughts on things I haven't thought of! Any anchorages as well.

Advice is appreciated.
tigershark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 18:25   #2

Boat: Passport 41-Touche'
Re: Advice on FL to Alabama routes?

Recommend go in pensacola and take easy icw over to mobile bay. Great anchorage just inside icw at pensacola to rest.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 18:48   #3

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: Advice on FL to Alabama routes?

If the weather is iffy, you can hop north up the coast to Clearwater or Tarpon Springs and then go across to Panama City or Pensacola depending on the weather window. If you go into Panama City there are good marinas just inside to the west is Baypoint Marina. With a 44 , I think your mast will exceed 49 feet, so you will have to go back outside to Pensacola. Palafox is a nice marina in downtown Pensacola and the Big lagoon just inside and to the west is a nice anchorage. You can motor to Mobile in the GICW with no worries about your mast height from Pensacola, or you could make it 2 days and stop off at the Wharf or Lulu's for the night. In Mobile Bay, watch the chart and stay away from the shallows and spoil areas and go through where cuts are marked on th chart. Of course, you could go direct to Mobile Bay from SW Florida if you have a good weather window. We sailed to Punta Gorda going out at Pensacola in a Cabo Rico 38 and it took just under 4 days. It's a great trip,if the weather is right!
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alabama