Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-02-2011, 10:53   #31

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
I don't think the macerator "treats" waste. You need a fancy system that reduces the bacteria count below the minimum in order to discharge inside 3nm.
Yes, my Lectrasan grinds up the waste and then shoots an electrical charge through salt water to create chlorine. It then chlorinates the waste before discharge. See:
Raritan Engineering | Waste Treatment | LectraSan

In my case, it then goes into a holding tank because I sail in a complete no discharge zone (Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island sound). But in Maine it can go overboard.

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54   #32

Boat: Allures 44
Cool. Must be nice to have

cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:23   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Isn't the 3 mile rule for untreated waste? With a macerator, you are discharging treated waste.
A macerator simply grinds the waste and changes its shape it does not "treat" it to meet the federal regs. An Electrosan or Purasan actually treats the waste but they are not allowed in Casco Bay & many other areas which are now designated as NDZ's. The rest of the state is the 3 mile rule unless you have a Lectrasan, Electrosan, Purasan or similar.

These are the current NDZ's in Maine:

Casco Bay
Southern MT Desert
Southwest Harbor
Cranberry Isles
Owls Head
Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:23   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
In studying the charts I see several no discharge zones, which means that you cannot discharge any sewage including treated sewage. I think that people discharging raw sewage through a macerator and calling it treated will someday get to explain their position to a judge and I don't think they'll win. When reading the Maine laws they seem to distinguish "Internal" waters from "Inland" waters. They seem to refer to lakes and streams as "internal" waters. Normally "inland" waters would seem refer to coastal waters inside the Colregs lines where inland navigational rules apply. Maine also seems to have some areas with a strange demarcation lines running in straight lines from point of land to point of land labeled "Territorial Sea" in addition to the normal 3 mile curved lines indicating the territorial sea. I don't know if Maine considers coastal waters inland of thses line inland for purposes of law enforcement or not. These lines are outside of the Colregs lines. Someone in another thread suggests these lines represent the Maine lobstering waters.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:34   #35

Boat: Bristol 38.8
It's just a nomenclature issue. I refer to my Electrasan as a "macerator" even though it treats the waste. What good does chopping it up do if you aren't going to treat it?

Yes, you have to go beyond 3 miles to discharge untreated waste, whether it has been chopped up or not.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 18:13   #36

Boat: 1972 Tartan 34C Fleur De Mer
As a Cruiser if you want to drop a pot in the water for your own Lobster you have to buy a license, I believe non comercial are allowed 5 pots. The Territorial waters are so Maine can regulate the harvesting.
CDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 18:38   #37

Originally Posted by Mark_S. View Post
We will be sailing from the Chesapeake. It has been suggested that we take the boat to RI in May and then onto ME in August. I am not from the Northeast so I don't know the route or timing. It is just me and my wife. Are there stops along the way or is it better to just get there?
Maine might be wonderful but if your vacation time is limited don't push to make the miles when you could be stopping to smell roses. The vacation is where you are. My wife and I have found sailboats and schedules don't mix well, and we enjoy ourselves more if we're more experience-focused, as opposed to destination-focused.

You could spend a month exploring Long Island Sound and the eastern end of LI (Gardeners Bay area). Eastern CT, all of RI and southeast MA are wonderful cruising with many interesting harbors.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 19:09   #38

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Have done the Chesapeake to New England trip numerous times. C&D Canal, Delaware Bay, and then usually stop in Cape May. From Cape May we go direct to Block Island, Point Judith, or up into Buzzards Bay (Marion). Then Cape Cod Canal, and straight to Boothbay Harbor (that's our home mooring, but you could go just about anywhere from Portland to MDI). One trip we went from Annapolis to Boothbay Harbor (550nm) non-stop in 3.5 days by the above route. All of these trips were "get there" delivery voyages, so no smelling roses along the way. We also typically had a decent complement of crew for watchstanding on the overnight offshore passages.

But the forks of Long Island, Eastern CT, Narragenset Bay, Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod and the Islands all make interesting cruising destinations themselves, worth their own trip(s).
Tim Allen
My Boat Projects and Sailing Stories
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:51   #39

With regard to how to schedule this, it is generally very easy in the summer to get Down East due to the prevailing southwesterly wind speeding you on your way. However, due to the same wind, it is often much slower getting back south of Cape Cod again. Try to keep that in mind when planning so you don't end up with days of beating into the wind to get home.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 15:12   #40

Re: Advice for Cruise to Maine

My plans are developing and it looks like I can leave for Maine from Norfolk, VA during the first week of August. Any advice on sailing straight there vs some overnight stops? We are anxious to get there and enjoy the month of August then head back down a slower way. We have no schedule to meet, just want to enjoy Maine as much as possible. Our only time requirement is to drop someone at an airport in Maine mid August.
Mark_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 16:35   #41

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

If you want to go fast there, you need to head for the Cape Cod Canal from Norfolk stop at Block Island for a rest and then up the Canal, across the Gulf of Maine. That would be the fastest.
Ray Durkee
S/V Velera
Tartan 37
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 23:40   #42

Boat: S2, 9.2, 30 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to RW Sailor

Going up to Maine as well, visiting friends in Kennebunkport and was wondering if anybody has suggestions for a good spot to drop the hook? Looks like there is nasty rocks anywhere shallow... and marinas are insanely expensive...
Thanks for any advice!

RW Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: