Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 13:38   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
6500 Islands - Pick Just One

We will be starting from Portland, ME during the middle of the last week of September. We are planning to cruise east to Mt Desert Island, or there abouts, and then back to Portland. We will have about two weeks for this trip.

In looking at charts of the Maine coast there are so many places I just can't decide. Plus I would like to have a couple of alternatives if the first one I come to is full.

Any and all suggestions are welcome but the first night is my main concern. I'm thinking somewhere near Boothbay is a good distance for the first day but in every picture I've seen its beautiful but full of boats.

It has been my experience that making the first day and night pleasant and easy sort of takes the pressure off and sets the mood for the rest of the trip. So give up that special spot you know of. We'll only be there one night and I promise I won't tell another sole.

Anyone know of a great place near Boothbay?

Thanks,

John
S/V Kloosh
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 16:50   #2

John,

Portland to Boothbay is fine. Done it. I would recommend you pick up one of the fine crusing guides to Maine. I use the 2 volume Don Johnson which I found to be great. The local knowledge is invaluable.. and include small harbor entry charts.

Almost every harbor is delighful.. and Penobscot Bay you could crusie for years!

Check out the images in this gallery for a taste of Maine.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/root

I think he captures Maine as well as any I have seen online or published.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 19:45   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Jef,

We will have more guides than we need. I've sorta turned into a collector from the looks of things around here.

The link to the Maine photos is great. Really getting us excited about our upcoming trip. We take along a camera and great plans of taking advantage of all the 'Kodak Moments' but usually are too busy, or something?

Thanks for the response,

John
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:59   #4

Boat: Westsail 32
I'd suggest joining the Maine Island Trail Association (www.mita.org). It's mostly geared to kayakers, but membership allows access to numerous private islands. I personaly put a premium on staying away from crowds and the MITA islands and anchorages tend to be far less crowded than other places.

Enjoy your trip!
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote