Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 16:08   #16

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45
Re: 2018 Bahamas Cell Phone options

I was just looking into Alive for the exumas primarily since I use internet for weather. I Known save it for another time. I also use it for all the usual desires
The question is, does
Aliv have similar coverage in the Exumas as BTC better or worse? Not just Georgetown. The BTC coverage map shows large gaps in coverage while the Aliv map shows about complete coverage. Also Aliv's website says they willsoon have coverage in the Exumas.
What say you that are actually there? I am in Nassau now and want to decide. The data from Aliv is tempting.
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:34   #17
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Google Fi?
Is anyone currently using Google Fi in the Bahamas?
I have just purchased the new pixel phones and they are supposed to automatically connect in many countries (over a hundred). Google forums are feast or famine; works great or many problems. Could be early days teething problems getting Google ? BTC to work well together. So far, the phones work well (better than the ATT we had and we are 1/2 mile from the cell tower) but this is Easton Maryland so no international experience so far. Heading to Bahamas next month and need to know if my plan to use the Google Fi network is going to work, or if I need to make backup plans. Sounds like taking an unlocked phone and getting a BTC sim card might be a good insurance plan.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 06:34   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

It's always going to depend on the tower frequency bands used by the carrier matching up with those available on your phone.

Get a local SIM and cheap but known-good generic phone as backup?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 18:44   #19

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

I'm looking to buy a used Ipad with cell, does it matter which carrier the ipad supports to buy a sim card in the Bahamas?
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:58   #20

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

Hi everyone. I have a boat I keep on New Providence Island/Nassau. The boat has some remote monitoring equipment on it where I can check the boat's status remotely via the internet. When it was in the States, I had a mobile hotspot / puck and the monthly usage was only about 200 MB. Maybe with family on board and using the net it would be 500MB, maybe 1 gig. No voice needed.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a mobile hotspot puck and service provider which would be economical for such a low data usage for the Bahamas? Without any difficult activation unlocks and such ideally. I looked at My Island Wifi but $75/month is more designed for cruisers who live in the area or use up many gigs of data, it's a bit much for 200MB. We would be cruising around Nassau/Abacos/Exumas.
Many thanks
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:29   #21
cruiser

Google Fi
Old 01-05-2019, 12:47   #22

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Google Fi
Just checked it out...that's an incredible recommendation, thank you. The $20 per month requirement for voice and text is basically money wasted, but if I only use 500MB of data then that's $5 so $25 per month total isn't bad.

I went to sign up and of course the phone that does what I need, the Moto G6, is out of stock and the website doesn't even let you sign up to have the phone shipped once it's back in stock. Disappointing. It looks like I can buy it on Amazon for a bit more.
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:57   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

The ALIV website has different options and devices. I had great service with a SIM card from them in my phone. I bet the other companies have similar websites and options. But I did find voice calls useful for times I was out of vhf range and of course free calls to the USA are nice but WiFi calling works too.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 14:08   #24
cruiser

Make sure your phone intended for Google Fi is the precise correct model#.

And service in a given locality depends on their partnerships. Sometimes - likely not in your case - a local SIM is worth testing.

Tags
Bahamas, cell phone, phone