Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 00:41   #31

Re: Boat can stay in Australia 3 years. How do you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Coming from Australia I thought the same thing until I visited Auckland. I was trapped in an underground parking area under a highrise building 35 years ago. the only way out was to ask a passerby to hit the night button. When they heard my Australian accent I got sworn at and told to go home and worse. I had no idea that they felt that way.
Later when I lived in Canada I got to understand how a smaller country feels living next to a more powerful one next door. 90% of Americans can never tell you who the current Canadian prime minister is..... they even think he's a president!!
Kiwis do make better boats than over here I believe. A better work ethic in general mostly. But let's not fight about that.

Firstly, allow me to belatedly apologise for fellow NZers ungracious and appalling behaviour, it is untypical of the vast majority of Kiwis, but all countries have a number of utter ******** who besmirch the countries reputation both at home and abroad.

Kiwi's and Aussies regularly take the piss out of each other, but generally it is good natured ribbing of each other and not in the least malicious.

One excellent example was a graffiti note added a Forrest Fire Warning Notice

"HELP KEEP NEW ZEALAND GREEN" and underneath was written
"Aussies don't tell them"

or the one attributed a QANTAS Pilot
"We are approaching Auckland, passengers should put their watches forward 2 hours and back 20 years"

or the chorus line from a song from my RNZAF Days on Canberras

"we drop our bombs on the Aussies and the Poms, were moving on'

Served alongside very many Aussies, and without exception they were all good blokes, some hard cases but so were we.
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:21   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
Nine month ago my Kiwi partner both and I arrived in Bundaberg Australia.I am 65. Went thru all the formalities and recieved a 3 month visa. Was told the boat could stay 3 years before importation issues would arise. After three months I applied for a 600 6 month extension. After much paperwork and a physical I was granted 6 more months. This time I applied for a 600 12 month visa extension. Along with the application was a letter listing all the reasons why we wanted to stay that long including the fact that my partner is working until mid December after which time we would like to take our Ute we have prepared for camping and travel the whole of Australia and Tazzi. In only 4 days I was granted a 12 month visa allowing allowing me to stay only 3 months at a time but multiple entry.The only problem was nothing at all on the granted visa reflected what I applied for. I honestly even left the country before I applied. I called the Immi and talked to a represenitive but all she would say is the powers that be evaluated my application and that multiple entry 3/12 month visa was what they decided and that was final. So I am not stupid enough to say the Australian government is wrong nor am I complaining. I just would love to know how to go about getting something more inline with what we need. There is no criminal record for either of us, no funny business. I see these agencys that help people and wonder if the powers that be are wanting you to use them. Leaving and coming back 3 or 4 times a year is hard on a cruisers budget. PLEASE DOES ANYBODY HAVE ADVICE.
After 22 years in Australia (and having Australian citizenship for a number of years now) I arrived at the impression that some/many of the department of immigration officers are either deliberately nasty or mindbogglingly incompetent. Perhaps a bit of both. Have yet to encounter the first person speaking of them with high regard.
pufferfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:08   #33

I'd say forget it. We were in a similar situation some years back (1996) and were told the best solution was to apply for permanent residency. We did that and permanent residency was granted however it had to be renewed periodically and the rules kept changing. In the end we just said to hell with it, had relocated in Malaysia where it was dead simple and let the Australian permanent residency lapse after having been there five years. They were pressing me to import the boat prior to our leaving. The Australian bureaucrats are pretty impossible to deal with.
daveball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:25   #34

Boat: Hanse 418

Kiwi Ken.
Just an update on Rugby comment.........

Australia thrash All Blacks 47-26 in Rugby Championship in Perth. Australia recorded their highest-ever score against the All Blacks as they beat the world champions 47-26 in the Rugby Championship in Perth.

It does happen.

Jamberoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 13:58   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamberoo View Post
Kiwi Ken.

Australia thrash All Blacks 47-26 in Rugby Championship in Perth. Australia recorded their highest-ever score against the All Blacks as they beat the world champions 47-26 in the Rugby Championship in Perth.

It does happen.

It does happen once in a while but there's no denying that the All Blacks win percentage is pretty amazing...for any sports team.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 14:35   #36

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Kiwi Ken.

It does happen.

Still off topic, sorry mods.

With 15 players vs 14 players for the entire second half. The score can not be considered and indication of anything. But granted, Australia played out of their skins and NZ were complacent and flat.

But regarding the winning percentage, no team should win every game. If that was the case, why would you bother to watch? Unfortunately for physically punishing sports like rugby and grid iron, it is possible to have streaks that can span a season. With that comparison, do the Patriots or any other grid iron team have an all-time (not just one season) winning percentage like the All Blacks? Certainly none of the other first tier national rugby teams even come close.

Look at baseball or basketball or ice hockey and you have championship teams that lose 1/3 of their games. Even in the playoffs. That doesn’t work in rugby.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 15:44   #37

Quote:
Kiwi Ken.

It does happen.

The All Blacks had to play the second half one man short in the back line, thus there was a ready made overlap any time the Wallabies back line ran the ball, that is a tremendous advantage for even an inferior team.
The referee considered Scott Barrett's elbow in the face of the man on the ground a deliberate foul - was it? if so he deserved the red card, hard call for an impartial referee to make and be 100% sure he got it right. Perhaps 10 minutes in the sin bin would have been more appropriate.

We will see how next Saturday's game goes at Eden Park, the Wallabies don't have a brilliant record playing at Auckland.

Pity it is only a two game series this year, because if the ALL Blacks win at Eden Park they retain the Bledisloe Cup by default.
Old 12-08-2019, 16:38   #38

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We were having no problems extending our visa (as a cruising permit) in Australia for 6 months at a time until I mentioned we were working (with work permits). Then the cruising permit was cancelled and the boat had to leave. But the boat project was not completed!

The immigration and customs worked it out, we could stay, (under the work permits) but the boat, unless we took it out of the country, was to be impounded at the dock. OK. And a couple of times some guys in customs uniforms came around to see if work was really going on. (It was, thankfully). This was all OK with us. They even allowed us to move the boat with prior permission, like to go sailing on flag day.

The point is that if you are in their office, and presenting them with a respectful attitude and a real problem, they may (MAY) try to work it out with you.

On the other hand when it was time for us to depart the country and we asked for an extension of our visa we had then, due to a pending cyclone, the immigration guy on the phone was completely rude and not understanding. However, the customs guy, from whose office we were calling, said, "Just leave now and go out into the Barrier Islands until this thing passes."

OK, there's good guys and not so good.
Old 12-08-2019, 16:55   #39

Not a big fan of Australian Customs and Immigration and I've seen nothing to change my impression. They have long been in need of an attitude adjustment but that won't happen given the attitudes of those in charge.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 19:41   #40

Boat: Steel Swain 36 Cutter

In my experience, it doesn't matter what country you are talking about, policies change often. My guess is that the Aussies will do whatever generates maximum revenue with the least amount of trouble. As an aside, my wife has this theory when talking to anybody in govt...if they don't give you an answer you like or want, hang up and try to talk to somebody else on another day. If you are lucky, you might get the answer you need. It is surprising how often it works. For her anyway. I am usually too pissed off and snarky to make it happen.
opusnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 20:08   #41

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKen View Post
The All Blacks had to play the second half one man short in the back line, thus there was a ready made overlap any time the Wallabies back line ran the ball, that is a tremendous advantage for even an inferior team.
The referee considered Scott Barrett's elbow in the face of the man on the ground a deliberate foul - was it? if so he deserved the red card, hard call for an impartial referee to make and be 100% sure he got it right. Perhaps 10 minutes in the sin bin would have been more appropriate.

We will see how next Saturday's game goes at Eden Park, the Wallabies don't have a brilliant record playing at Auckland.

Pity it is only a two game series this year, because if the ALL Blacks win at Eden Park they retain the Bledisloe Cup by default.

Or if Australia win or draw the second game, they win the Bledisloe Cup in two games.

In either case, just like State of Origin, normally they would play the third dead-rubber game. But because of the World Cup they’re only playing two games.

Which is just fine. We play the SANZAAR teams every year. More interesting is playing England, Wales and Ireland. Bring on the World Cup.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 09:19   #42

Could you sail beyond Oz waters and come back, maybe to a different harbour ? Keep a log of your voyage ?
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 09:35   #43

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

I am not clear what leaving Australia means. So based on what I looked up, if you sail out to mile 14 and then come back, have you not left then returned to Australia?

"Australia has an Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) that extends beyond the 12 nautical mile territorial sea to a distance of 200 nautical miles (one nautical mile is internationally defined as 1.852 kilometres) in most places. This zone is measured from the territorial sea baseline (see Maritime Boundary Definitions). The EEZ gives jurisdiction over a marine area of some 10 million square kilometres. In some places, Australia's continental margin extends further out than the 200 nautical mile limit."
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 16:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
Could you sail beyond Oz waters and come back, maybe to a different harbour ? Keep a log of your voyage ?

I think it would only count if one collected arrival and departure stamps from non Australian Territory on the trip'

If one goes on a cruise that goes outside Australian territorial waters but doesn't land in some other country it doesn't count as leaving Australia as far as aged pension qualifications for absence outside Australia.

( If a pensioner is outside of Australia for a longer period than 6 weeks in any year it impacts on their entitlement to the aged pension)
Old 13-08-2019, 23:34   #45

Boat: Pescott Summerhaven 10.6

Apply again immediately.
Before the second Bledisloe Cup match.
Two Skippies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, government regulations