Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 19:37   #16

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Boat can stay in Australia 3 years. How do you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Are you a Kiwi too? If so, no visa required.
Not true.
Not that this applies to the OP, but just to correct foxy kitty.

Most kiwis will receive a 'special category' visa (SCV) automatically.

But a kiwi ticking the 'I have a criminal conviction' declared on the Oz arrival form must either apply or reapply for a visa every time they arrive. As part of that process, permission is granted for a criminal check with NZ authorities to Oz Immigration. Usually takes about 15 minutes. And some people are turned down.

And obviously Australian Immigration don't allow all Kiwis to enter these days. Nor return once they've been kicked out.

Very sadly long gone are the days when we didn't even need a passport to travel between NZ and Oz.
Old 07-08-2019, 21:16   #17

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I better dust of my wedding suit Uncle Philiosophy, would that work for Australian immigration?
Cheers
Ha ha ha. That's a good one. Took me a while to get it. We will sort it.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 23:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Not true.

But a kiwi ticking the 'I have a criminal conviction' declared on the Oz arrival form must either apply or reapply for a visa every time they arrive. As part of that process, permission is granted for a criminal check with NZ authorities to Oz Immigration. Usually takes about 15 minutes. And some people are turned down.

And obviously Australian Immigration don't allow all Kiwis to enter these days. Nor return once they've been kicked out.

Very sadly long gone are the days when we didn't even need a passport to travel between NZ and Oz.

The ANZAC spirit is very one sided, Aussies are treated extremely fairly in NZ, no problem getting any social welfare, regrettably it doesn't work the other way apart from an aged pension if one qualifies under Australia's means testing rules, in which case NZ pays the lion's share anyway.
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 00:32   #19

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKen View Post
The ANZAC spirit is very one sided, Aussies are treated extremely fairly in NZ, no problem getting any social welfare, regrettably it doesn't work the other way apart from an aged pension if one qualifies under Australia's means testing rules, in which case NZ pays the lion's share anyway.
From Wike:

How many Kiwis are there in Australia?

The largest New Zealand-born community in Australia was in the state of Queensland, with 192,037 people. In 2013, there were about 650,000 New Zealand citizens living in Australia, which was about 15 per cent of the population of New Zealand.

Some of the buggers must be getting along with the locals??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 00:58   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Hmm... the ANZAC spirit is alive and well in Oz IMO except at a government level; there is sucks (big time) I am ashamed to say. Most (all?) of the Kiwi governments are more caring than any Oz version - or so it seems from this side of the paddock.

KK
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
From Wike:

How many Kiwis are there in Australia?

The largest New Zealand-born community in Australia was in the state of Queensland, with 192,037 people. In 2013, there were about 650,000 New Zealand citizens living in Australia, which was about 15 per cent of the population of New Zealand.

Some of the buggers must be getting along with the locals??

My teenage grand daughters (my son's children), although born in Australia are New Zealanders, although they have never lived in New Zealand, apart from holiday visits, and it would cost in excess of $5000 to get them Aussie citizenship. As a consequence, should they wish to undertake tertiary education in Australia they will have to pay enhanced Fees, applicable to overseas students, and they are not entitled to take a HECS loan. This does not apply to Aussies in NZ
Old 08-08-2019, 01:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... the ANZAC spirit is alive and well in Oz IMO except at a government level; there is sucks (big time) I am ashamed to say. Most (all?) of the Kiwi governments are more caring than any Oz version - or so it seems from this side of the paddock.

KK
I made a deliberate decision to retire to Queensland, and I certainly don't regret it, and have never been treated with less than the utmost friendliness by the vast majority of Aussies, and are happy to call Oz my home.
My eldest daughter became an Australian citizen in 1996, which I gladly paid for, Cost $250, my younger daughter relocated here in 2005, married an Australian, and I funded her Australian citizenship application; it took 4 years from applying, she had to jump through so many hoops and this application cost over $4500.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:50   #23

Quote:
My teenage grand daughters (my son's children), although born in Australia are New Zealanders, although they have never lived in New Zealand, apart from holiday visits, and it would cost in excess of $5000 to get them Aussie citizenship. As a consequence, should they wish to undertake tertiary education in Australia they will have to pay enhanced Fees, applicable to overseas students, and they are not entitled to take a HECS loan. This does not apply to Aussies in NZ
Weird...my teenage daughter was born and lives in Australia to Kiwi parents and she was automatically Australian and has to apply for NZ citizenship. As a kiwi, it'll only cost me a few hundred to become Australian if I want to. Wonder what the difference is?
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:43   #24

Quote:
Not true.

Reminds me of a joke by David McPhail
When asked on arriving in Australia, asked by Immigration,
"Any Convictions?"
Replied " Sorry, I didn't know it was still a requirement"
Old 08-08-2019, 03:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
Weird...my teenage daughter was born and lives in Australia to Kiwi parents and she was automatically Australian and has to apply for NZ citizenship. As a kiwi, it'll only cost me a few hundred to become Australian if I want to. Wonder what the difference is?

For the child of a New Zealand Citizen born in Australia to qualify for Australian Citizenship either one parent must be an Australian citizen, or the parents have applied for and been granted Australian Permanent Residence, which is quite different from the visa that allows New Zealanders to live and work in Australia. At the time of my grand daughters births neither Kiwi parent had permanent residence.

For my younger daughter to qualify for permanent residence and Australian Citizenship it cost $A4500, and she was married to an Australian Citizen and had 2 Australian born children who automatically qualified as Australian citizens.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:43   #26

Quote:
For the child of a New Zealand Citizen born in Australia to qualify for Australian Citizenship either one parent must be an Australian citizen, or the parents have applied for and been granted Australian Permanent Residence, which is quite different from the visa that allows New Zealanders to live and work in Australia. At the time of my grand daughters births neither Kiwi parent had permanent residence.

For my younger daughter to qualify for permanent residence and Australian Citizenship it cost $A4500, and she was married to an Australian Citizen and had 2 Australian born children who automatically qualified as Australian citizens.
We must have been granted permanent residence automatically as we have never applied for anything but the goalposts are always changing. She was born and we got her an Australian passport in her first year so we could travel to see family. I've been looking at gaining citizenship this year and I've been told it will cost me AUD$285. I've always held off because I couldn't be bothered sitting a test, not that it's hard to pass.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:05   #27

Boat: Volkscruiser

Our first born Jonah was born one day before we were granted Australian citizenship. So we then had to go through the citizenship process with him to get his Australian passport. LOL, nothing flexible about Australian immigration.
KiwiKen I always say to my mates that I am not a true Aussie until I steal a loaf of bread or a handkerchief!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 14:57   #28

The downgrading of the rights to Australian Residence and Citizenship was a consequence of a difference between Australian Prime Minister John Howard and NZ Prime Minister Helen Clarke.

In 1998 John Howard brought up the difference between the criteria for right of entry and gaining residence and citizenship for people from third countries that existed between Australia and New Zealand. Many people who would be refused entry for residence to Australia were moving to NZ for 3 years gaining citizenship and then once held moving on to Australia -through the back door.
Helen Clarke, bristled at this and construed Howard's remarks as Australia trying to dictate as to whom NZ could accept for residency and citizenship, and as a consequence Kiwi's lost the automatic right to permanent residence and citizenship in Australia, notwithstanding that in the Australian Federation of 1901 there was provision for New Zealand to become a State in the Federation, and as far as I know it was never rescinded.

I believe John Howard was reasonable in his approach, he was not dictating anything to NZ, and thanks to Helen Clarke's response we Kiwis have been the loser, and I don't think there will be any going back on that.

There have been various easings and tightening of the rules, and it seems to be date driven, on when the individual arrived in Australia, my eldest daughter was resident here from 1996, my son and younger daughter from 2005, and they were required to jump through all the hoops that Australian bureaucracy could dream up - my son was not all that interested, so his Australian born daughters are seriously disadvantaged.

Nevertheless, Australia is a great country to live in, opportunity abounds for those with ability who are prepared to work, and as a Kiwi, it has much more to offer unfortunately than NZ, especially for retirees, housing is more affordable, the cost of living lower, and there is less stultifying nauseating political correctness than in many countries, although the looney left would like to change that.

Kiwis get on fine here, very similar to Aussies, but generally a bit more polished and refined, and the All Blacks give us a chance every year with the Bledisloe Cup to rub it in to our Aussie cousins, although they do the same to us with Rugby League and Cricket.
Old 08-08-2019, 16:34   #29

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
So they're different countries now? I thought Aus was just New Zealand's 'West Island'.
Old 08-08-2019, 17:04   #30

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
So they're different countries now? I thought Aus was just New Zealand's 'West Island'.
Coming from Australia I thought the same thing until I visited Auckland. I was trapped in an underground parking area under a highrise building 35 years ago. the only way out was to ask a passerby to hit the night button. When they heard my Australian accent I got sworn at and told to go home and worse. I had no idea that they felt that way.
Later when I lived in Canada I got to understand how a smaller country feels living next to a more powerful one next door. 90% of Americans can never tell you who the current Canadian prime minister is..... they even think he's a president!!
Kiwis do make better boats than over here I believe. A better work ethic in general mostly. But let's not fight about that.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, government regulations