Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2018, 12:33   #31

Boat: Presto 36
Re: Yachtsman missing after unattended boat washes up on shore -- Mississippi

The somewhat standard 24" high lifeline is more of a tripping hazard than a realistic impediment to going over the side.

Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 12:34   #32

Have they found the body ?

soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 12:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Other forms of immersion protection work, too, notably wetsuits.

I have been scuba diving in 40F/5C water, at depth, with a 7mm wetsuit, for dives an hour long. Since wetsuits compress with depth, a thinner suit would provide the same performance at the surface. Wetsuits also provide floatation, and are inexpensive enough to be affordable.

I wear a 3/2mm (body/arms+legs) wetsuit on some river trips over cold water. It is probably not enough to allow me to stay in 40F/5C water indefinitely but is enough for me to get to safety. I believe I could swim a mile in a 3/2 suit and wetboots with no other gear, in cold water.

The drawback is that people don't have them unless they are divers or are serious about cold water skiing or windsurfing or something. They have to fit to be effective.
I'm a strong advocate of wearing a wetsuit in cold weather. For years I went solo winter sea duck hunting on the Chesapeake. After 2 years I bought a cheap but decent 2 piece wetsuit. I wear it the same as I would wear long underwear. It extends from the ankles to the neck.

Keeps you extremely warm and comfortable on the boat, and it's not restricting to any real extent. Just to try it out, I swam 100 yards across a creek in 40 degree water. Floated like a duck, was warm, and the only problem was an occasional trickle of cold water down the back of the neck. I feel orders of magnitude safer, and it is the best cold weather underlayer I've ever used. Keeps you very warm in the boat. Cost about $150 if I recall correctly.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 14:20   #34

Boat: Morgan 250, 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by soares29 View Post

No, they have not.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 07:20   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If I may suggest.. a large plastic bin liner tucked somewhere in the LJ.. if you go over pull it out and get inside.. Curl up and close it tight round your neck.. should cut down on the speed of heat loss.
Then all you have to worry about is your head, neck and ears..

We used it do that in power boats in the Gulf for sharks, theory was maybe if they could not smell you and see those legs moving around?
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 07:22   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by soares29 View Post

Had a First Sgt. drown in Lake Belton in Tx.
Deep lake and was winter, took a month, maybe month and a half for him to float. If your stomach is empty also adds to the time.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 14:29   #37

Boat: Island Packet 380

We know the missing boater well. Both his boats are across the dock from ours. He is still missing and has not been found. We saw him out sailing the night he went missing. The winds were light and the lake was not choppy as the media had reported. He had his main sail up only. He texted a friend around 9:40 pm to tell him he was going to anchor out for the night. That was the last anyone heard from him and because he intended to anchor out, no one expected him or missed him until the boat was found the next morning.

Because we know him well, we also know his sailing habits. Yes, it's true, he didn't wear a life jacket, but how many people wear a life jacket every time you sail. He often sailed alone. He knew his boats well. And yes, there was a significant amount of trees/branches, etc in the water.

I have seen his boat after he went missing, there was no damage to the rail or lifelines as was previously reported.

The boat was found with the engine running and the motor in gear with the main sail down and no anchor deployed. The boat was motoring up against the rocks on shore. The only damage to the boat is the leading edge of the bow where the boat was motoring against the rocks for an indeterminate length of time.

Knowing his sailing habits, we believe after he texted a friend that he intended to anchor out, he went forward to drop the mail sail with the boat still in gear, this was his common practice. We believe the boat struck something in the water and he was thrown off balance and fell overboard. As was previously mentioned the boat is a Hunter 310. The cabin top is high enough and close enough to the lifelines that one could easily fall overboard and still miss the life lines entirely.

One telling sign for us was that the main sheet was found in a heap on the cabin top and was not pulled back and stowed in the cockpit. We know based on his habits that if dropped the main sail, he certainly would have pulled the line back and stowed it appropriately once (and if) he returned to the cockpit.

It's quite sad that they have not yet been able to provide closure and bring him home. The search effort by individuals in the community are continuing and will continue until he is found.

I very sobering start to our sailing season for our local sailing community for sure and has caused all of us to re-examine safety procedures, etc. I can tell you I have seen more life jackets being worn on the water than ever before.

In this case, I am not certain if a life jacket would have made a difference or not in the outcome given the cold water temperature. Some say, it's the difference between hypothermia or drowning. However, had he been wearing a life jacket we would likely not still be looking for him.

Say a little prayer that we can bring him home.
Old 12-06-2018, 14:57   #38

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Lots of folks of a certain age tend to stop working out and just think they can do with their bodies what they used to do.

If you are near or over 60, you may want to see how long you can actually swim, or run

You may be surprised at how hard it is if you don't workout regularly
I'm 61 and spent 3.5 hrs swimming through a cave in Mexico last month. Should be OK.
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 16:05   #39

Terrible to hear this news, and the more detailed story.

It's good to remember why it's called an "accident" - no one ever believes it will happen to them.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 16:11   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A good friend of mine often ferries small aircraft over the North Atlantic from the US to Europe.
John will not wear the required survival suit, he feels it would only add a few hours of misery to the eventual end.

Iím not abdicating anything similar, but understand the thought process.
Thats one hell of a plan.
t3c9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 17:44   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3c9 View Post
Thats one hell of a plan.
Flotation suits help recover bodies and settle insurance claims quicker for the affected families. Sad fact that a friend who worked oil rigs mentioned. He wore his suit for the wife, not himself.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 17:47   #42

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
The absolute best article I've seen on hypothermia is by Mario Vittone, a former USCG rescue swimmer. He separates some of the myths and truths, also expressed in this thread:
https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/hypothermia

I highly recommend Mario's other postings as they are fact-based and obviously come from a lifetime of pulling people out of very bad situations: https://www.soundingsonline.com/voic...-rescue-at-sea
I learned in the military that in WW2 the Nazis used captured POWs to perform cold water research. What they found was that survival was based on body fat, the more you have the longer you will last.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 18:50   #43

Boat: Hunter 31

[QUOTE=John_Trusty;2625893]The absolute best article I've seen on hypothermia is by Mario Vittone, a former USCG rescue swimmer. He separates some of the myths and truths, also expressed in this thread:
https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/hypothermia

Great article. Thank you.

When I was in the RNLI covering the waters off Cardiff in Wales (average sea temperature in winter around 48F), we were taught if you fell in the water without a drysuit never to make it for shore, even if it seems 200 yards away. "You would never make it" is what my instructor impressed on me.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 20:29   #44

Boat: Stardust Cruisers HB 73'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
" Just recounting experiences to illustrate that the unexpected can happen in essentially benign conditions"

Just before I left to join the military I decided it would be fun to stand on the bow of my 16' scow almost on plane

It was really fun. It was flat calm. I was 19 years old and alone. Not wearing a PFD. It was in March on the Southern Chesapeake Bay, East side, mouth of Pungoteague Creek. I was maybe 1-2 miles from land. Water temp was probably in the 40's

I happened to glance back and noticed that the outboard was starting to turn so I jumped/dove for the center of the boat as the outboard slammed all the way to a max turn almost flipping the boat and sending it turning in circles

I have often thought about this day over the years

This is a text conversation I had yesterday with a young man I built a boat for. 12 footer with a 50 horse tiller that was clearly overloaded, since he couldn't get it on plane. I hate to even think about how many times stupidity nearly killed me, so I do my best to pass my hard earned knowledge along.

With regard to the original post...Very sad news. That would be a rough way to go, but I suppose barefoot in a hospital bed might be worse. Condolences to the family.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5660.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	171605
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 21:34   #45

Thank you for the very candid and clear information, makes a lot of sense. I’ve almost fell from my old boat (21 footer)couple times, once alone with the engine on and another time when on dry doing some hardware work. Either times wouldn’t have been pretty...
Good bless this gentleman and I truly wish that they find resolution for his family.

soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mississippi, yacht