Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2019, 20:54   #16

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Yacht sinks off Bay of Islands in 40knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
This quote from the NZ Herald implies that they were completing a circumnavaigation and near home. Not sure how accurate it is.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-...ectid=12276836
Most common reports here indicate they were on their way back to NZ from Fiji seemingly intending to sign in at Opua (Bay of Islands). I think the article in your link may be blending two facts.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 22:57   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Most common reports here indicate they were on their way back to NZ from Fiji seemingly intending to sign in at Opua (Bay of Islands). I think the article in your link may be blending two facts.
Yea, that was my original limited understanding.

We had friends who were 180 miles away from completing an east-about circumnavigation when they lost their boat.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 23:22   #18

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

From the NZ Herald:
Exhausted but overjoyed, Bruce Goodwin thought they had made it.
It was Monday and there were grey skies. He went to take over watch from Pedersen above deck while Pedersen's wife, Pamela, and her brother-in-law Steve remained below.
Sea conditions were reasonably calm. The wind was 20 knots. It was the sailing group's last day on board the 47-foot yacht travelling from Fiji to New Zealand. The four had a big breakfast planned before going through Customs.
But as they crept closer to the Bay of Islands, the winds became stronger and the seas got "steeper and steeper". Soon, gusts grew to beyond 40 knots and massive waves had begun breaking on top.
"It's a really hard thing to think of what size they were," Goodwin said. "The 6m thing was mentioned but it wasn't the size of the waves that was the problem. It was the size of the break.''
At 1pm and about 30km from Cape Brett in Northland, a surge of water broke over the yacht. Goodwin, 66, and Pedersen were swept off their feet, and off the vessel.
"I went under water. I'm sure Stu went under water as well. I was pulled along at a very painful rate. I was stuck in my harness for some time under water until I just felt Stu pulling me back on board," Goodwin said.
"The deck was a mess at that stage but most things were still functioning. We checked down below to see how the other two were and saw they had their own dramas."
Pamela and Steve were knee-deep in water. The yacht's windows had been sucked out from their frames, and water from the waves was repeatedly rushing in at a rate beyond what the vessel's pump system could handle.
"That's when I said we need to put out a mayday," Goodwin said.
Radio contact was made while Goodwin searched for the yacht's Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPRIB) and liferaft "but they must have gone out the windows, they were nowhere to be seen".
Everyone went into survival mode, keeping cool heads the entire time. Goodwin who had his own personal locator beacon activated it.
"We were encouraged. We were saying 'we can do this'," he said.
The four gathered in the yacht's cockpit for about 20 minutes preparing to abandon ship. They collected a grab bag, life ring, Dan Buoy flotation device and had planned to click together their harness ropes once overboard to stay together.
"It's just amazing how we all did bits and pieces when Pamela came on deck, she brought a big block of chocolate and a bottle of water. We knew we needed energy and we scoffed the chocolate as fast as we could."
Goodwin said Pedersen and Steve, whose surname he did not know, took turns at manually pumping the bilge pump "to try to give us extra time". "But unfortunately it got so low in the water, the bow went under."
With water rising around them, Goodwin was first to leave.
He unclicked his harness from the yacht and dived through the water. He pulled Pamela along with him. The two other men followed moments behind and only just escaped.
"The guys only just got clear ... When it [the yacht] went under. It went so, so quick."
Alone, in the ocean, the four sailors clicked their harnesses together and waited.
And then the strangest thing happened. "An albatross came and sat beside us," Goodwin said. "I saw it as a sign from God. I do have trust in God and I have a personal relationship with God. [I thought] we can make it."
Goodwin did not see the seabird fly away. The sea conditions were still horrendous. "We struggled with waves coming at us. We took on water and spat it out. We tried to keep each other warm and encouraged."
About 2.45pm, through the sea spray and waves, Goodwin spotted sight of the PC3 Orion above which dropped a liferaft. "Oh boy, when we first saw the Orion I thought 'you beauty!', 'We are going to do it guys, we are going to do it.' "I saw this big, long, long rope with flags on it coming down. It landed quite a way from us, maybe 50m away. I swam for it as hard as I could." Tears well as Goodwin recalled: "I really didn't think we were going to make it but the rope would get picked up and placed closer each time. Those guys in the [rescue] team knew just where to place it."
Goodwin said their rescuers' skill at getting the raft closer to them when they did "absolutely" saved his life. With barely any strength left in his body, Goodwin eventually managed to pull himself on board. After another exhaustive effort, Steve was next.
The two men pulled on their harness ropes to help get Pamela and Pedersen in but against the surging seas, high winds and a tangle of knots in the ropes, the mission became impossible. "There was nothing left in us to get them in." Goodwin said he and Steve were reluctant to cut the ropes because of the risk of Pamela or Pedersen being swept away in the rough seas.
Instead, they each held them. "I took Pamela and Steve held Stu along the liferaft. We had to wait for the helicopter to come and we knew it would come." Goodwin doesn't know if it was seconds, minutes or hours later when he saw the rescue helicopter arrive. By this stage, all four were too exhausted to talk. But they were still conscious and alive. "I got a smile from Pam," Goodwin said.
A rescue helicopter swimmer came and took Pedersen and his wife away from the raft and got them winched up one by one. Steve was next up, then finally Goodwin. "It was just great to get up to that helicopter." Wrapped in a thermal blanket and given some water, Goodwin reached out to his skipper.
"I tried to get a smile from Stu." He didn't get one.
Pedersen had died before making it onboard the helicopter.
His wife was taken to hospital but has since been discharged. Steve was discharged with Goodwin this week.
Back home in rural Waihī, Goodwin's voice cracks as he looks back on the fateful voyage.
Both he and Pedersen shared a mutual love for sailing. As members of the Tauranga Yacht and Power Boat Club, it's how they met about four years ago.
"To do something like this, we do it for pleasure. And to have such an outcome, it's just devastating."
But he remains incredibly grateful for the efforts of their rescuers.
"To be living in a country that can throw so much resource without a moment's thought at four people who need them the most ... there must have been no hesitation when they got our mayday and they were so prompt.
''We feel so positive and honoured to live in such a country that cares for people.''
Images from crew.org.nz:

Boat in question:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-21 19.17.37.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	201863

Interior image of a Bavaria Ocean 47 showing large windows that came out from breaking wave that took the on-deck liferaft away:

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-21 19.17.55.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	201864

Metvue screen grab from 9th October showing upcoming storm:

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-21 19.18.19.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	201865
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 23:38   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

But by the grace of god go I. What a story.
Thanks for the update.
Old 20-10-2019, 23:43   #20

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Although I have been out in those kind of conditions when I read a first hand account like this, when it all goes totally wrong, I still can't help but think "holy shxt" and count my lucky stars that our outcome was more fortunate.

Condolences to the family of the deceased.

Blessings to the survivors.

And great job by the Kiwi SAR teams - some of the best in the world who operate in a very challenging environment when serious weather kicks in down there.

Perhaps also a reminder that positive buoyancy, or the possibility to create it, can be a huge safety feature, regardless of whether the boat is a monohull or a multihull.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 23:44   #21

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
But by the grace of god go I. What a story.
Thanks for the update.
That is what I was thinking, thank you for the right words...
Old 20-10-2019, 23:50   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
. . . Perhaps also reminder that positive buoyancy, or the possibility to create it, can be a huge safety feature, regardless of whether the boat is a monohull or a multihull.

Or maybe rather windows that don't come out when hit by green water.

Those kind of windows were popularized on the Oyster 435 in the '80's, which had a raised salon floor, and people were skeptical about this very thing. By 2009, when I was looking at Oysters, the Oyster guy proudly said that not a single breach of the windows had ever occurred in those decades. Nevertheless I recall some had storm shutters made.

I've been in conditions like that and have had my salon windows hit by green water, but they didn't come out, nor did it occur to me to worry about that happening. Maybe now I will :shudder:
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 23:56   #23

Agreed, but ultimately:

"There is no ship that man can make, that the sea in all it's fury cannot break..."

Things can and do go wrong even with best laid plans.
Old 21-10-2019, 00:22   #24

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Thanks for update Till. Horrible and unexpected. Not as if the boat has a very low freeboard.
The authorities here are very suspicious of large windows for offshore trips and require all NZ registered to have storm shutters on board for all windows over 2sq.ft . I assumed they were for a window broken by a shackle etc.
We've got 4 plywood shutters stowed on board but would have difficulty fitting(nailing them over a broken window) them during a storm.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 00:27   #25

Yes, the boat was cat 1 certified so would have had shutters for any window over 2 square feet. Those windows look close - perhaps they are just smaller and didn't need them. But even if they had them which of us would have fitted them before the wave hit? And after, with the boat half full of water, how to find them under all your stuff and two feet of water and fit them when everyone is soaked and scared? It's not a perfect defence.
Old 21-10-2019, 00:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Maybe now I will :shudder:
Your crash pump will buy you a few extra minutes, maybe more....
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 00:43   #27

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Those windows in the photo, front and sides, are well over 2sq.ft - Compare with the hatch which is 2sq.ft.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 01:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Those windows in the photo, front and sides, are well over 2sq.ft - Compare with the hatch which is 2sq.ft.
Yes, you’re right now I look carefully. How do you fit the storm shutters when the proverbial has already hit the fan? Something to think about for those with deck saloons.
Old 21-10-2019, 01:24   #29

Correct practice, and what was always standard to do on bigger vessels, was to fit them at the dock before heading offshore, as part of all the passage preparations.

But people don't want to do that of course, especially if it blocks the light.
Old 21-10-2019, 01:36   #30

Here is an example from a bigger boat, but the same principle applies.

Transatlantic preparation, Ft Lauderdale:

Half way to destination, Horta, Azores:

Tags
knot, yacht