Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 14:04   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Yacht "Bright" missing between Azores and Gibraltar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I thought all “modern” EPIRBs were water activated as well as manual.
Type 1 won’t automatically deploy, but Type 2 will when submerged below a set depth?
Auto or Manual EPIRB?

PLBs I don’t think will auto activate when placed in water, or float for that matter?
Nope.. Not at all.. Our EPIRB is only 2 years old and definately NOT water activated. Both have their place. You don't want a water activated EPIRB if you carry it in your ditch bag.

I know nothing about EPIRBS from the USA... So maybe they are all automatic activating... but manual activation EPIRBS are still the norm in other parts of the world. Even in Australia where an EPIRB is required on all boats.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:05   #17

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Nope.. Not at all.. Our EPIRB is only 2 years old and definately NOT water activated. Both have their place. You don't want a water activated EPIRB if you carry it in your ditch bag.

I know nothing about EPIRBS from the USA... So maybe they are all automatic activating... but manual activation EPIRBS are still the norm in other parts of the world. Even in Australia where an EPIRB is required on all boats.
You made myself question my statement (thank you !), so I started to dig a bit into the subject. The Info from different sources I've gathered so far is, that all modern (meaning 406 MHz opposed to the old 243 MHz ones) Epirbs provide both methods and can be activated automatically by contact with water. Cat I and Cat II have both a built-in deactivation sensor to prevent false alarms.

And then there is also the bracket which comes into play. Wikipedia states: "... For a marine EPIRB to begin transmitting a signal (or "activate") it first needs to come out of its bracket (or "deploy"). Deployment can happen either manually where someone must physically remove it from its bracket or automatically where water pressure will cause a hydrostatic release unit to separate the EPIRB from its bracket. If it does not come out of the bracket it will not activate. There is a magnet in the bracket which operates a reed safety switch in the EPIRB. This prevents accidental activation if the unit gets wet from rain or shipped seas. ..."

But, there is something else I would like to ask: how many of you have got a "hydrostatic release unit" or "HRU" - which is a pressure activated mechanism designed to automatically deploy when certain conditions are met - on their liferaft and/or Epirb? I'm asking this, because I didn't know about them, have never noticed them on a yacht, and only found out about it a year or so ago, when a fishing boat sank in port.

Fair winds
Dody
Dody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:48   #18

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

Sorry, that was meant to mean: "Category I and Category II have both a built-in deactivation water sensor to prevent false alarms."

Dody
Old 10-05-2018, 06:04   #19

Quote:

So, back to your point, it seems you've got a Category II bracket for your Epirb which has to be removed manually from the Epirb to deploy it. There is no difference in the Epirb in itself between both Categories.

Dody
Old 14-05-2018, 15:06   #20

Could someone please be so nice and explain to me why there is still nothing about it on the NAVTEX?

I am aware that NAVTEX only works with a distance to a station of max 250 Miles. Still, ships passing the possible area coming from places where they would have been able to receive the information, could be on the lookout - as was usual, normal and according to proper seamanship. Well, at least in the times before Facebook and Satellite Phones took over.
Old 14-05-2018, 15:30   #21

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dody View Post
So, back to your point, it seems you've got a Category II bracket for your Epirb which has to be removed manually from the Epirb to deploy it. There is no difference in the Epirb in itself between both Categories.

Dody
Hmm I would argue that.. Simply pulling my EPIRB from the bracket does not deploy it (I was just holding it in my hands). There is a series of manual proceedures required to actually engage it for sending (including flipping a physical switch).. So no, its not just a bracket. If you think I'm full of it, you can look at the EPIRB here. Actually, the company that makes it, doesn't even make an automatic deployment EPIRB.
SafetyAlert SA1G | kti

AGAIN.. EPIRBs like this are common on many boats we encounter. Manual release, manual deployment are NOT a strange thing.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 15:39   #22

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Hmm I would argue that.. Simply pulling my EPIRB from the bracket does not deploy it (I was just holding it in my hands). There is a series of manual proceedures required to actually engage it for sending (including flipping a physical switch).. So no, its not just a bracket. If you think I'm full of it, you can look at the EPIRB here. Actually, the company that makes it, doesn't even make an automatic deployment EPIRB.
SafetyAlert SA1G | kti

AGAIN.. EPIRBs like this are common on many boats we encounter. Manual release, manual deployment are NOT a strange thing.
Ditto, exactly the same for mine.

Quote:
You made myself question my statement (thank you !), so I started to dig a bit into the subject. The Info from different sources I've gathered so far is, that all modern (meaning 406 MHz opposed to the old 243 MHz ones) Epirbs provide both methods and can be activated automatically by contact with water. Cat I and Cat II have both a built-in deactivation sensor to prevent false alarms.

And then there is also the bracket which comes into play. Wikipedia states: "... For a marine EPIRB to begin transmitting a signal (or "activate") it first needs to come out of its bracket (or "deploy"). Deployment can happen either manually where someone must physically remove it from its bracket or automatically where water pressure will cause a hydrostatic release unit to separate the EPIRB from its bracket. If it does not come out of the bracket it will not activate. There is a magnet in the bracket which operates a reed safety switch in the EPIRB. This prevents accidental activation if the unit gets wet from rain or shipped seas. ..."

But, there is something else I would like to ask: how many of you have got a "hydrostatic release unit" or "HRU" - which is a pressure activated mechanism designed to automatically deploy when certain conditions are met - on their liferaft and/or Epirb? I'm asking this, because I didn't know about them, have never noticed them on a yacht, and only found out about it a year or so ago, when a fishing boat sank in port.

Fair winds
Dody
Ah, another example where absolute faith in Wikipedia may be misplaced.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 01:38   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:

Fair winds
Dody
In Canada hydrostatic releases are compulsory for commercial vessels. Optional for recreational vessels.

ACR and McMurdo both make Epirbs with hydroststic releases.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 02:27   #24

Boat: Comet 41s

The EPIRB was not an automatic one so it seems they had time to deploy it but the fact that it only give a single signal indicates that or malfunctioned (weak battery) or it sank quickly with the boat.

The boat was a charter one, used on the med and on the caribbean. Most of the lost keels cases have been on Charter boats were groundings are many times not reported.

By far the best report on the accident is on Saily.it. It is in Italian but you can use a translator.

Ricerche, esito ancora negativo | Saily
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 14:33   #25

Still missing.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores, Gibraltar, yacht