Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 03:21   #1

Missing Vessel - Blue Dog

Came across this on facebook. Vessel and sailor along with his dog are missing enroute from LI to the Caribbean.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000130314652
svenskflicka is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 06:01   #2

Re: Missing Vessel - Blue Dog

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ard-1.38545779

More Info.
svenskflicka is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 07:29   #3
cruiser

Poor dog. I wish dog is well.
kantafig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 11:06   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, kantafig, I just sat a death vigil for my sister in law, and I am feeling pretty darn sad about that.

I think your post is pretty inadequate. I expect we all feel for both of them. Your obvious disrespect for a 72 yr. old male is pretty distasteful to this observer.

Why could you not have written something along the lines of, "Poor guys. Hope they turn up safe and sound at their destination."

Fwiw, I really DO hope they get there okay both the dog animal person and the human animal person.

Ann
Old 15-11-2019, 11:11   #5

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Condolences for your loss Ann. And Jim of course. I hope we hear some good news about man & dog aboard this wayward vessel.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 11:33   #6

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Lets just hope it's something silly and not something serious. Too much growth on the bottom slowing him down or some such, or maybe found a pretty place to anchor in for a few nights.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 12:01   #7

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

A simple tracking thing like SPOT would save his family a lot of worries.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 13:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
A simple tracking thing like SPOT would save his family a lot of worries.
Sounds like the character that endears him to his family makes it unlikely they could convince him to carry one. If anyone is going to be OK it sounds like it would be him.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 13:41   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You know, kantafig, I just sat a death vigil for my sister in law, and I am feeling pretty darn sad about that.

I think your post is pretty inadequate. I expect we all feel for both of them. Your obvious disrespect for a 72 yr. old male is pretty distasteful to this observer.

Why could you not have written something along the lines of, "Poor guys. Hope they turn up safe and sound at their destination."

Fwiw, I really DO hope they get there okay both the dog animal person and the human animal person.

Ann
Ann, firstly, condolences to you and family
and secondly, your comments are spot on, I would add that those truly reveal the character of the poster.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 13:45   #10

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:

Ann
Hoping he was talking about the blue dog (name of the vessel)?
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 14:04   #11

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Sounds like the character that endears him to his family makes it unlikely they could convince him to carry one. If anyone is going to be OK it sounds like it would be him.
A Coast Guard spokesman said that according to the so-called float plan, or sailing itinerary, Farrell was scheduled to arrive in the Virgin Islands no later than Tuesday — and that as of Wednesday he is being considered overdue. The Coast Guard previously has search a vast expanse of 310,767 square miles of open ocean using a C-130 Hercules out of Elizabeth City, North Carolina. Deputy Public Affairs officer David Schuhlein, spokesman for the U.S. Coast Guard District 1 in Boston, said a C-130 crew was again searching "surrounding waters and approaches to Jost Van Dyke" on Wednesday, but said so far there have been no sightings of Farrell or his sloop.

He sounds like the kind of character who wants to be FREE! but doesn't mind worrying his family and thus causing the USCG to waste a lot of time and money (and putting their men in harm's way)
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 14:21   #12

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Not sure about the harms way part, but lots of tax dollars will be spent, if he’s in a bad way, well that’s what there for
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-11-2019, 14:27   #13

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

It's a fine line between waste and needed real life training. Also, the character did file a plan so it's not that flawed. To be fair I didn't read the article.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-11-2019, 04:17   #14
cruiser

Quote:

Ann
Why should I. just because here is policy "be nice" or you are out. I am writing what I think and I think that is completely O.K. to write what I think as long as I do not personally offend, calling names or swearing on any member of this forum.

Is this forum something from Stalin archives and everyone must think like "great leader".

...….and to add to my previous post, if I was there and had to choose between man or dog who I am going to save, I would go for dog without slightest doubt.

Best regards

Kantafig
kantafig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-11-2019, 04:23   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing Vessel - Blue Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantafig View Post
Why should I. just because here is policy "be nice" or you are out. I am writing what I think and I think that is completely O.K. to write what I think as long as I do not personally offend, calling names or swearing on any member of this forum.

Is this forum something from Stalin archives and everyone must think like "great leader".

...….and to add to my previous post, if I was there and had to choose between man or dog who I am going to save, I would go for dog without slightest doubt.

Best regards

Kantafig
The logic being.???
The man chose to be there..
The dog did not..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply