Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 15:37   #31

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Marina evacuation - Forced anchor for hurricane

I saw the damage at Dinner Key Marina in Coconut Grove after Andrew. A handful of LUCKY boats survived(less than five) in the marina and the remaining 495 were sunk, impaled, or washed inland. The boats that survived left the marina and were anchored in canals, mangroves or hauled up the Miami River in boatyards. Consider your boat lost if you leave it in the marina. I hope this helps. Best, Rognvald
Old 10-09-2018, 16:47   #32

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
In our area quite a few of the marinas are better suited to hurricane survival than the very few hurricane holes. Getting out of the water is also just not an option.
I'm unfamiliar with marina in/around Houston but I can't think of a worse place regardless of how well built. You are still subject to the surge not to mention that marinas, at least here, seem to be magnets for the 'more money than brains' club especially when it comes to storm prep.

My insurance pays for the haul for named storms which has worked (so far) for us.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 17:01   #33

Boat: Passport 40

How do you people get insurance in hurricane zone, plus insurance paying for haulout? My insurance is expensive, asks me for absurd things (like being out of the water in T&T or up in New York) to cover named storms between July and November, and the insurance premium goes up for named storms to levels were I would never be able to justify changing a sail, much less a bimini, for named storm damage. Really really amazed at some of the things I read. Oh well.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 19:33   #34

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I am in a transient slip in a marina on the south Chesapeake right now. The boats on the floating dock are staying, being stripped of sails and anything that can be moved. The boats on the fixed pier are moving out tomorrow. No point in staying on those docks as they will be well under water.

My cruise finishes tomorrow. I am headed to a well protected place.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:12   #35

Here is some useful info on Chesapeake Bay.

http://www.sailfeed.com/2018/09/ches...ter_SAIL180910
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:19   #36

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

looked at projected high water for New Bern ( western end of Pamlico Sound) always water over the fixed docks in high east winds and projected 100 mph winds at older wooden marina docks, mentally prepared to lose our boat or at least significant damage. i will not be surprised to see the big boats pull the side docks off the pilings. Going to take off items of value tomorrow, sails already stripped. Add a few more 1" lines.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:51   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Anyone can put anything in a contract. Whether or not it is enforceable or there are laws to the contrary. So first you read what you signed, then you try to find out if there are any state laws that might impact whatever you signed.

Your contract might require you to show up 48 hours in advance and help fill sandbags, too. (What, you didn't read that part? ;-)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 13:30   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Anyone can put anything in a contract. Whether or not it is enforceable or there are laws to the contrary. So first you read what you signed, then you try to find out if there are any state laws that might impact whatever you signed.

Your contract might require you to show up 48 hours in advance and help fill sandbags, too. (What, you didn't read that part? ;-)
You have that right. How many people read a contract when put in front of them. It is usually sign on the dotted line.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 13:39   #39

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Gulfport MS kicked us out. Most of the municipal marinas along the Gulf were doing that. I am now in a private marina in Mobile that is much more reliable.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 15:54   #40

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You have that right. How many people read a contract when put in front of them. It is usually sign on the dotted line.
Every word, and ask for clarification if need be. It's incredibly annoying to people who are accustomed to pushing a contract across the table and getting a signature.

And if the contract cites some law or regulation, look that up and read it too.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 16:48   #41

Boat: Currently in between

The marina I am at in Stuart, for boat repairs, mentioned yesterday that should a named storm come I would have to leave.

Hey, I'm in good shape for a sailboat in a blow; no mast, no boom, no headsail.
Old 11-09-2018, 16:52   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
The marina I am at in Stuart, for boat repairs, mentioned yesterday that should a named storm come I would have to leave.

Hey, I'm in good shape for a sailboat in a blow; no mast, no boom, no headsail.
Look on the bright side - less windage to worry about.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 18:03   #43

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Every word, and ask for clarification if need be. It's incredibly annoying to people who are accustomed to pushing a contract across the table and getting a signature.

And if the contract cites some law or regulation, look that up and read it too.
I read them too. While there's not much you can do about getting them to change anything, I do kinda enjoy pointing out outright contradictions in the contract that was clearly written by an attorney without any real knowledge of what the transaction actually entails.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:11   #44

Boat: Downeaster 38

our marine requires us to leave or haul out and I always choose to haul and do my varnishing after the hurricane because I've lost a boat after the anchor dragged in Francis. So my marina can and will require us to leave because the docks can be destroyed unless you're there to constantly adjust the docklines for the storm surge which can be 6 feet and which you wouldn't be able to do anyway.
And if you want your slip after the hurricane, you follow the rules which are plainly stated in your slip agreement.
Good luck!
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:59   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Attachment 177169
Why would anyone want to stay in the water at a marina?
That is just a foolish example. Cat 1, 2 even “light” cat 3- the plans work. You can double dock lines, etc and it will be fine.

The further you get from Cat 2— in the case of the storm that caused the damage shown- it was a Cat 5— and then some. Heck, no plan will work. There were tied down boats that got damaged.

If you are in Florence’s path, make sure the insurance is paid, cover the boat preps discussed elsewhere and get off the boat! If it is at a marina or on the hard— in don’t look good!

You did pay the insurance- right
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, hurricane