Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 19:13   #1

Boat: Contest 36'
Marina evacuation - Forced anchor for hurricane

Some people have told me that a marina can make you leave their marina if there is a hurricane. Can they do that? Even if I have a long term contract? Where would I even go?

If a hurricane is coming a haulout won't be a possibility. If I have insurance, won't the insurance cover any damage my boat causes to the marina?

I'm in the lower Chesapeake and am hoping the current string of storms will miss me. But it is making me think.
WindLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 19:16   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Marina evacuation - Forced anchor for hurricane

Have you read your long term contract? What did you agree to concerning storms?
Old 09-09-2018, 19:19   #3

It isn't clear in the contract. I read in Florida they can't require to leave - it's unsafe and anchored boats are a hazard to other properties. I'm not sure about Virginia.
Old 09-09-2018, 19:24   #4

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Absolutely no idea what is legal or not.....but all the damage I see comes from boats banging into each other and when the Marina comes apart with 20 boats that are still tied to their slips but the slips have left for the coastal freeway.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 19:35   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes, they can make you leave.
It was very clearly stated in the contract for Panama City’s Marina.
Probably have to have something in the contract though, I would assume
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 22:47   #6

Boat: Boatless

Providing all the boats in the marina strip their sails, especially jibs, most boats survive a Cat I. Once the strength gets to a Cat II the storm surge starts to cause severe damage by raising boats to the dock level where the concrete and the posts beat holes in the hulls or the docks float away. At Cat III level the boat probably will not survive.

If the marina forces you out then you need to develop a hurricane plan...three big anchors, lots of chafe protection and a location where a boat can survive a hurricane. I spent one Chesapeake hurricane anchored in the turning basin at Anancock.

Hurricane Preparation for Boaters - Hurricane Center - BoatUS

Good luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55   #7

Boat: Caliber 47

Where are you....there are some decent hurricane holes off the Rappahanock.
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:05   #8

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Hmmm.........somewhat reminiscent of the banks.....lend you an umbrella when the sun is shining, want it back when it rains!!
Bill

[QUOTE=WindLove;2717297]Some people have told
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:12   #9

Have you asked the marina? One way or the other, I suggest getting a written response, even if it's an email.

As they say, if it's not written down it didn't happen.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:19   #10

FLORIDA LAW:

Marinas may not adopt, maintain, or enforce policies pertaining to evacuation of vessels which require vessels to be removed from marinas following the issuance of a hurricane watch or warning, in order to ensure that protecting the lives and safety of vessel owners is placed before interests of protecting property.
WindLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:25   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I've seen a dock piling coming right through the foredeck of a formerly nice 45' boat, it sticks in my mind from being young. Have also seen an entire marina piled up in the ICW, clearing it was a crane on one barge picking the boats up like cord wood and placing them in awaiting barges. A marina is not necessarily the safest place in a blow. Conversely a well constructed one along with location may be the safest place. If a marina is afraid of boats damaging it, find another marina.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:27   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
FLORIDA LAW:

Marinas may not adopt, maintain, or enforce policies pertaining to evacuation of vessels which require vessels to be removed from marinas following the issuance of a hurricane watch or warning, in order to ensure that protecting the lives and safety of vessel owners is placed before interests of protecting property.
So what??? You said in post 1 you were in lower Chesapeake.

I know that at the Massachusetts marina I was at during Sandy all boats got removed from the docks and were either hauled out or out onto a mooring.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:29   #13

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Do you have a written hurricane plan in your insurance plan? If so it is time to put the plan into action. You are on the north side of the cone for Thursday/Friday and Saturday. The talk is about a 10’ tidal surge and the storm may stall on the coast and provide hurricane force winds for more than 24 hours.
Get moving now if you plan to move! You could be well north or on the hard prior to the arrival of this one.
Best of luck in whatever you choose to do. Do not take this storm warning lightly!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36   #14

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Since June 1, 1994, Florida marinas can no longer require boats to vacate the marina after a hurricane watch or warning has been issued - F.S. 327.59. Don't know about Virginia. But, what are they going to do if you refuse?? Very doubtful that the marina would move your boat. If they did, they would likely incur liability for any damages. If your contract requires you to vacate the slip and you refuse they may be able to sue you if your boat causes damage. But unless they do sue you and win, your insurance may not be liable for any damage your boat causes to the marina or to other boats. They've got this funny little clause in your liability policy that says they will only pay for damages that you are legally liable for. If, in their opinion, you secured your boat properly, used reasonable sized lines, etc., and your boat still caused damage, they'll classify it as an act of God and will not pay. I had this happen to me this past spring with BOAT/US-Geico. The example the claims rep used was that if a tornado picked up your car off your driveway and dropped it on your neighbor's house, you would not be liable for the damages because it was an Act of God. Your neighbor would have to file on his homeowners policy for the damage to his house and you'd have to file on your auto policy for damages to your car. Marinas generally have their own insurance for damage to their property, but you can bet their insurance company will still try to subrogate against your policy. They may or may not be successful however. But, if your marina sues you for damages and wins, then your insurance would probably pay because you were adjudicated legally liable. Best to discuss ahead of time with your marina, ask they what their hurricane plan is for the marina, review your contract, etc. Stay safe!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:51   #15

Yes it's evidently true. I saw video of the news yesterday of boats being evacuated from a marina. Never could figure that out. I say don't answer the phone. If they move it, it will be their responsibility! ?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, hurricane