Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 09:09   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: IRMA FEMA Relief For Non Resident Cruisers?

You had to evacuate, but now are back on your boat, correct? Your boat is intact, right? You are not a Florida resident, so don't have to deal with property taxes, high insurance rates, etc, right?

Sure, it's not ideal to be without power, but you're on a boat, for Pete's sake! It's not about lack of compassion, it's about being compassionate for the people in real need. If you can articulate a genuine need for help, then you'll get all due compassion, and I'll jump in and help you myself, since I'm in South Florida and was minimally impacted by the storm due to good preparation and a bit of luck.

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:14   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

AFAIK FEMA deals with aiding residents and businesses in stricken areas. If you are non-resident you are a "tourist" and FEMA will probably tell you to keep on keeping on--somewhere else. Government bureaus don't deal with compassion, they go by their rules.

You'd have to ask them to be sure, since that's the kind of thing that changes from time to time as their policies change.

Now, if you had been docked on a monthly contract or longer term? You might be able to claim that IS residency. In many states it will qualify as that, in as little as 30 days. Then you can work with the system. Shouldn't be too many problems with that. Florida might say you need to convert your driver's license or boat title...but I don't think they'd cross-check with FEMA on that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:09   #18

Boat: Passport

Thanks all. No more replys are needed.
DCRRenaissance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:14   #19

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRRenaissance View Post
Thanks all for the compassion.
No power! Poor baby. There are a lot of folks much worse off than you! I can't muster up any sympathy!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:35   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRRenaissance View Post
Tried to contact FEMA got cut off after 20 min. on hold. Hoping someone has some insight on a non resident full time cruiser assistance. Has anyone done this yet? Boat is fine, but since no power was wondering if accommodation help is possible. Thanks.
If your boat is fine, what sort of a handout are you looking for?
Old 15-09-2017, 13:14   #21

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Am in a similar situation except Marathon is my mail address. I expect it will be a week or two before residents are allowed to return. And restoration of shore power might take longer. I don't know what you want FEMA to do for you but there are real people who have lost their homes ahead of you. If you did not go to a shelter I suspect you are not in line for temporary housing aid.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:17   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
FEMA housing is for people whose home has been damaged to the point that it is not habitable. Just being without air conditioning does not qualify you, unless you have some medical condition that would make A/C a requirement.

In what way is your boat not habitable? If you can't clearly articulate that, you aren't going to qualify for any sort of assistance. Moreover, if you have another home somewhere else, they are going to tell you to go there. I wish you the best of luck in dealing with the aftermath of Irma, but I'm going to guess that you will have a hard time getting any sort of housing assistance.
Actually, it does and yes it will be difficult. Any costs incurred due to an evacuation, loss of use of an item, damage, and so forth, is all covered under FEMA. You need to keep all receipts. So the cost of a rental car, hotel stays, food, and so forth can be claimed. Power outages can result in spoiled food - also covered by FEMA. You may also be covered by the food stamp program.

YES, cruisers boats can be included in a FEMA claim if you can prove your boat if your home, which is the tough part. Also, you must have sustained some type of damage.

In addition regardless of your boat situation, banks are being asked to issue very low interest loans to people and businesses in states declared a disaster area. The SBA also has low interest loans available to both small businesses and individuals.

The government has encouraged anyone that believes they have a claim, to make a claim. The only thing they can say is "no."

Florida NEEDS a full inrush of government funding to rebuild local businesses physically and fiscally. The longer it takes for the state to get back to normal, the more likely it is that the effects will be longer lasting and effort less effective, meaning we get less bang for our tax dollar.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:26   #23

this is the first time i have posted something on this site.
watching and trying to learn..but this post asking for assistance because you have no power is crass beyond belief...UNBELIIEVABLE
richard mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:12   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"but this post asking for assistance because you have no power is crass beyond belief.."
In Floridia, it actually CAN be necessary to have power for air conditioning, even at this time of year. No power = heatstroke, death, not good things. Not everyone can take multiple days in a row with limited drinking water in 100F heat with 95% humidity--or however close it gets to that at this time of year.
Sometimes it actually is necessary to relocate until power can be restored. That's life in the places that never really boomed until well after cheap air conditioning was the norm.

"If you did not go to a shelter I suspect you are not in line for temporary housing aid."
HUH? There's no FEMA policy like that. Whether you were able to reach, or chose to reach, a shelter has nothing to do with whether you qualify for other forms of aid. Shelters aren't fun places, many people choose not to go because they don't want to sleep on the floor with 500 new loud friends. Or, they can't go to the shelter because they can't bring pets. Or just couldn't find a taxi or make the hike after the winds came up. FEMA is federal aid, the shelters are usually county run. FEMA doesn't care about the shelters.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:30   #25
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

It amazes me that a cruiser of all people (you'd think there are the strong independent type) would ask for a handout from a government where they are not citizens/residents or otherwise officially recognized (not sure what all applies but tourist certainly doesn't). It is unbelievable (as in maybe the OP didn't tell the whole story or didn't tell it right) that he would try to get government assistance for lost electricity. Of course there is always the possibility that he was an American citizen, temporarily in the wrong spot ... in that case the whole issue might make more sense.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:13   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard mcc View Post
this is the first time i have posted something on this site.
watching and trying to learn..but this post asking for assistance because you have no power is crass beyond belief...UNBELIIEVABLE
I agree Richard mcc My stepson is in Ft Lauderdale, waited out the storm in his condo with his dog. No damage thank the lord but no power for 5 days. Lost food etc.
Years ago I lived in Greece ashore, when power/water strikes happened the best place was on the boats. The boat provided water pumps/shower/ engine/battery power.
No problems, we had all we needed. WHAT'S AIR CON?
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 18:06   #27

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"but this post asking for assistance because you have no power is crass beyond belief.."
In Floridia, it actually CAN be necessary to have power for air conditioning, even at this time of year. No power = heatstroke, death, not good things. Not everyone can take multiple days in a row with limited drinking water in 100F heat with 95% humidity--or however close it gets to that at this time of year.
Sometimes it actually is necessary to relocate until power can be restored. That's life in the places that never really boomed until well after cheap air conditioning was the norm.

"If you did not go to a shelter I suspect you are not in line for temporary housing aid."
HUH? There's no FEMA policy like that. Whether you were able to reach, or chose to reach, a shelter has nothing to do with whether you qualify for other forms of aid. Shelters aren't fun places, many people choose not to go because they don't want to sleep on the floor with 500 new loud friends. Or, they can't go to the shelter because they can't bring pets. Or just couldn't find a taxi or make the hike after the winds came up. FEMA is federal aid, the shelters are usually county run. FEMA doesn't care about the shelters.
There are shelters for "special needs"people. That is defined as requiring power to sustain life. Mechanical lung, yes; blind,no. That is per Federal regulations. All others can go to the general shelters. Residents who were ordered to evacuate can claim necessary expenses. Tourists may not. I would expect FEMA to want to see documentation of residence such as months of marina receipts. Being forced from a vacation home earns no benefits. I would hope that our government would deny temporary housing benefits to any spoiled brats who find the shelters just too unpleasant. Temporary shelter is emergency relief nothing more.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 04:49   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Richard mcc.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 07:13   #29

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
It amazes me that a cruiser of all people (you'd think there are the strong independent type) would ask for a handout from a government where they are not citizens/residents or otherwise officially recognized (not sure what all applies but tourist certainly doesn't). It is unbelievable (as in maybe the OP didn't tell the whole story or didn't tell it right) that he would try to get government assistance for lost electricity. Of course there is always the possibility that he was an American citizen, temporarily in the wrong spot ... in that case the whole issue might make more sense.
I don't think the OP is an actual Cruiser. More likely a landlubber using a boat as a cheap way to live in the Keys.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser