Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 10:55   #16

Re: Intrusion while cruising

Security bars on hatches can be a good way to add a feeling of safety and security while inside the boat. Just be sure to keep in mind that at least some of the hatches in your boat are important as emergency escape routes.

A galley or engine room fire can quickly render the companionway unusable as an escape route. It would really suck to be roasted alive because you couldn't get out the hatch you secured with bars...

The PO of our boat installed security bars, attached with machine screws with anti-vandalism heads. The special screwdriver needed to remove them is secured nearby in each cabin. They would certainly slow egress, but don't prevent it.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:00   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
... These are my thoughts on intruders, it's rare!

In fact many will cruise and never have a problem BUT I believe it's sensible to give as little opportunity as possible.
I now leave nothing on deck, we lock ourselves in each night (the security bars look very neat and do not restrict air flow), dinghy up every night and as mentioned leave the cockpit light on. I make sure I give the least opportunity as possible, well at least less opportunity than the boat next to me ...
Indeed - well said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:09   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Security bars on hatches can be a good way to add a feeling of safety and security while inside the boat. Just be sure to keep in mind that at least some of the hatches in your boat are important as emergency escape routes.

A galley or engine room fire can quickly render the companionway unusable as an escape route. It would really suck to be roasted alive because you couldn't get out the hatch you secured with bars...

The PO of our boat installed security bars, attached with machine screws with anti-vandalism heads. The special screwdriver needed to remove them is secured nearby in each cabin. They would certainly slow egress, but don't prevent it.
I agree. I've deliberately left the big hatch in the forward head bar free. This way we have two escape paths the companion way and the hatch at the very front. We close this hatch each night, both cabins and saloon area have hatch openings that are barred but can open as normal,plenty of ventilation.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:13   #19

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
As a fellow Canadian, I hope to see you out here someday soon. I passed through Montreal two seasons ago on my way to Newfoundland. You’ve got some challenging waters to learn in, what with the strong currents and heavy traffic.

But it’s well worth it .
Yeah I’m stoked to get started. Originally from Newfoundland. I’d love to sail across the south coast of the island some day to go to my summer place on the beach in south of Trinity Bay!
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:14   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
Yeah I’m stoked to get started. Originally from Newfoundland. I’d love to sail across the south coast of the island some day to go to my summer place on the beach in south of Trinity Bay!
Funny, we’re just talking about our summer cruising plans, and the south coast is high on the list. Maybe I’ll see you there .
Old 10-02-2019, 12:17   #21

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Funny, we’re just talking about our summer cruising plans, and the south coast is high on the list. Maybe I’ll see you there .
Haha. Shoot me a pm before you go! Ya never know what can happen if you don’t make too many plans!
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 05:26   #22

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you’re worried, hire this young lady as crew... she doesn’t eat much.
I'll take her! Now the Admiral may have a different opinion in the matter... ;-)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising