Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 10:33   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Flares vs LED substitutes

Sobering story, Halien. Thank you for sharing it. Flares are always a pain to buy. They're expensive, go out of expiration in no time, and are often forgotten in some drawer until the time comes when the really old ones need to go. At least that's what happens to most of them, most of the time. Glad you had what was needed for a positive outcome.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 05:59   #17

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'll second that! Best post I've read in a while.
Ditto!!
A life saving report for sure!!
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 22:27   #18

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

Hi Halien,

Thank you for your comments. Your account brought me back to the early 70's when I and two friends got caught in an unreported and fierce tropical hurricane off the north coast of Honduras in a 16' dugout canoe. Though the waves were so enormous to at first seem to be beyond belief (the computer work on the gigantic monster waves near the end of the movie "The Perfect Storm" is remarkably familiar and still gives me the creeps), we worked together, went through the eye and out the other side and all three of us survived. And in retrospect, nearing land and crossing sand bars where the seas were angrily confused, was equally if not more dangerous with very little that one can do but to react to each moment and try to keep your head. Having survived that as well as other adventures at sea, has on one hand left me with the need to meticulously prepare for the worst conditions when preparing for a blue water cruise, and yet on the other hand, I still tend to cling to my old tight wad ways when I think of the cost of really good flares. One reason I suppose is because they are tucked away out of sight and always seem to need replacing. So, there is great value in hearing your stories and that of others. And, with well over a hundred thousand invested in my boat, and saying nothing of the annual upkeep and mooring fees, it's ludicrous to worry over spending a couple of hundred bucks every few years to have flares that are worth the expense.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote