Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2019, 17:08   #1

Boat: Currently Looking at Lagoons
Boat Sinking in Miami

So, I filmed this boat nearly sinking awhile back... They beached it to prevent a full sinking. Is there anything that could have been done differently or more safely, and how often does this occur?

https://youtu.be/aqkTFrRxxME
Old 20-09-2019, 18:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Boat Sinking in Miami

I would say he did good. Can't think of anything I would have done differently in that situation.

How often? Very rare.
Old 20-09-2019, 18:13   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yep, good strategy. Intentional grounding is a common technique in such situations.

What they did was quite safe. One improvement I see is that everyone should have donned PFDs when it became obvious there was a problem.
Old 20-09-2019, 18:18   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

I would say that it probably would have been a good idea to have everyone put their life jackets on once they realized they were in trouble. Things can go from bad to worse very very quickly.
Old 21-09-2019, 08:58   #5

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

They say that the best bilge pump is a scared person with a bucket! The guy with the red solo cup needed a bucket. Still, he did a good job of getting to a good location to beach his boat.
Old 21-09-2019, 09:31   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

How do you sink a new looking outboard?
Old 21-09-2019, 09:33   #7

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

All comments are cogent to the video. In particular, that made by ArmyDaveNY is particularly important. A bucket would have been a much better tool to dewater the cockpit; a relatively inexpensive manual bilge pump would have been better than what was being used. It's always easier to anticipate your emergency needs and prepare in advance before those needs arise. I wonder if the owner had a basic first aid kit, fire extinguisher, signaling device or communication equipment (I suspect there were likely several cell phones aboard, at the very least).
Old 21-09-2019, 09:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
How do you sink a new looking outboard?
In the video, the person who posted the video said that they found a ten inch (25.4 cm) crack in the transom. They thought that perhaps there was wood rot which allowed the transom to flex, causing the crack.
Old 21-09-2019, 10:16   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
In the video, the person who posted the video said that they found a ten inch (25.4 cm) crack in the transom. They thought that perhaps there was wood rot which allowed the transom to flex, causing the crack.
Dave, I missed that. I might have to avoid that brand or assure it may have been over powered? I may be a sceptic, I guess a leaking screw could cause rot. All in all he did well.
Old 21-09-2019, 10:23   #10

Boat: Watkins 29

They could have raised the engines and beached it stern first keeping the most expensive and sensitive equipment, the engines, from being submerged. They might have been able to get the stern far enough out of the water to prevent further intrusion!
Old 21-09-2019, 10:37   #11

Boat: Watkins 29

I would also have been searching for the leak with the intent of stuffing rags, paper, or anything i could find into the leak to slow the inflow of water.

In this case that may not have been possible as typical center console boats have inner liners that prevent access to the hull. Perhaps they could have found the crack from the outside and stuffed rags to slow down the leak!

My point is that stopping the leak completely may not be possible but any action that slows the leak, buys you time! Duct Tape even!

Don't ask me how I know! Me and the Vaca Key cut bridge in Marathon are old acquaintances.
Old 21-09-2019, 11:15   #12

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Had the engines quit, those folks would have been in the water in a couple of minutes. If they carried life jackets, they should have been donned already.
Old 21-09-2019, 11:51   #13

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

They where wearing alternative to life jackets. Here in Miami it's one of the options allowed by USCG. A Body Mass Index that high precludes you from having to carry PFDs
Old 21-09-2019, 12:19   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcftampa View Post
They where wearing alternative to life jackets. Here in Miami it's one of the options allowed by USCG. A Body Mass Index that high precludes you from having to carry PFDs
Hey! I resemble that comment!
Old 21-09-2019, 12:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Dave, I missed that. I might have to avoid that brand or assure it may have been over powered? I may be a sceptic, I guess a leaking screw could cause rot. All in all he did well.

It is very easy to miss, especially if one fast forwards the video. I do that fairly often.

Your comment about it being over powered is a very real issue, especially with outboards and dinghies. Does anyone know the manufacturer of that vessel and what it is supposed to be powered with?

Another possibility is that the boat was dropped or hit something and over time, a crack developed and allowed rot to occur. Given that is took place in Miami, I suspect there was little chance for the damage to have been an issue with freezing and thawing!
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, miami