Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 10:54   #31

Re: Bahamas Hurricane Relief by Cruisers

Here might also be a good way to start;

The Seven Seas Cruising Association,Go to SSCA.org

under the heading "about SSCA" click projects and initiatives, then click Clean wake projects.

The clean wake proposal guidelines could be a way to help organize a group of our own.

I''m sure that some of you more seasoned members may have better ideas about how to move forward, I am not affiliated, or a member, this is just some info that I am aware of. After having helped to sail relief supplies to Vieques, and Jost van Dyke, I am passionate, as I am sure most of you are, about also trying to aid our Bahamian friends as well. I've worked with two groups who provide relief by sail, and can be a very successful undertaking.
wolfychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:33   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Had planned a trip to the Exumas in Jan/Feb but seems like a detour to the Abacos might now be in the plan. Getting older but I still remember which end of a hammer to hold.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:50   #33

I have helped people after a hurricane and a tornado. If you can go and help, do so, It is very rewarding and humbling.

In my case, we had local contacts which I think will be even more critical in another country. The government is an obvious contact but churches are much close to the people in need.

My opinion of government response after the initial rescue phase is not good. All of the work I have seen done cleaning out houses or recovering what little is valuable after the disaster has been done by citizens just getting it done. I have seen bus loads of church people from another state arrive to help out a small area where a tornado destroyed several homes and killed two people. Locals were out cleaning up but a nearby church had it's members and members from another church in a different state coming to help out.

The Baptists have an organization that goes into disaster areas to help clean up. They were ORGANIZED and EQUIPPED. Most impressive. They had a semi trailer that converted into a kitchen, bathrooms and showers that they would pull up to a church to setup. They would use the church to organize, feed, and house volunteers who arrived to help.

The Mennonites beat the Baptists into the area by a week or so. Don't have a clue where they came from but they were there before the flood waters were gone. Word of advise. Don't let a Mennonite woman see you standing around idle when there is work to be done. She will give you something to do. I had led a team down to a small town that had been hard hit. I had been in the town during the rescue phrase and had a government contact. When I returned with a group to help clean up, we were told to meet at a building being used to store donated goods. While we were waiting for my contact to show up the Mennonite women saw us standing around, for a whole five minutes, and put us to work!

Also dont forget the outer islands. Often the smaller communities are left out of the recovery response.

The people will be in shock. Just that simple. In many case, every thing they own is gone, and in some cases, they have lost family and friends. They are just in shock. The simple thing of a stranger showing up at what used to be the house, to help them out for no reason by an act of kindness, is a measure of mental medicine that is priceless. For them and YOU.

The problem in the Bahamas is the simple fact they are islands and remote. Even here in the US, one has to take very bit of supplies you will need with you. That is even more critical in the Bahamas. One needs to take what the volunteer is going to need but also needs to take supplies for the locals. It is hot, dirty and risky work. Nails and glass all over the place. MOLD is a big deal on structures that are still standing. Mold takes over quickly and it is a problem. Even wearing an N95 mask I was coughing up multi colored goo from the lungs after being in houses looking for bodies, and later, cleaning up.

Lots of planning is going to be required to help out over there... Look to the churches, both to provide help outside of the islands, but also as a way to get to the locals in the islands. If one knows local government officials that helps too.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:07   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, wolfychef.

Palarran has begun considerable preliminary organizational work, behind the scenes. We (whosoever that may turn out to be) will be submitting more detailed proposals to the forum, as things gel.
I think the preliminary plan is for us cruisers to organize a recovery project, intended to provide lasting benefit. This will take time to organize, and time to accomplish.

I've previously linked to organizations that can accept much needed immediate relief aid.
Some are listed here https://www.bahamas.com/relief

Thanks to everyone for responding. Once we get a committee organized, you'll be contacted.

Keep the suggestions, information, and volunteerism coming.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:09   #35

Boat: Antares 44i

I think that is a brilliant idea, and wish out boat were in Florida where we could help when the season comes. Here's another idea for those of us who are Stateside for the forseeable future:

The Admiral and I have some Bahamian friends, Colin and Anna Degregory, who we met in the outer islands of the Bahamas while sailing there two years ago. We later visited them in Nassau, where they live. They have a long-standing business assembling packages and supplies and then delivering them throughout the Bahamas on their fleet of planes, especially for superyachts (flowers, food, parts, etc.) Working closely with customs, they accumulate items in Ft. Lauderdale, and fly them twice a day to Nassau and the outer islands. Their business is “9 to 5 Imports LTD” (9-5 Import).

In reaction to the devastation in their country, Colin and Anna have set up a partnership with the Bahamian Red Cross to deliver supplies. Anyone who wishes to send items to the Bahamas can buy on Amazon, which will deliver the items to 9-5’s Florida office. They will then transport the items to the Bahamas on their regular flights for the Bahamian Red Cross to distribute. The Degregory’s will underwrite transportation, customs clearance and delivery to the Red Cross.

Here is the post describing the program: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Hurr...4462906179806/. Here is the Amazon ‘wish list’ page of items requested: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1MTQNAFAVTXQM. There are items small and large.

We know and trust these people but, as Gord said above, there are a lot of reputable aid agencies - this one happens to be very close to the ground and indigenous.

Anna asked us to get the word out. If you feel so moved, please pass this onto people you know who might be interested.

Thanks,

Matt Crow
s/v Valleycat
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:42   #36
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I reached out to a few of the aid organizations and some other groups with ties to the marine and boating world. The general response was - too soon to be able to guess what the situation will be in three months. It's my understanding that they are essentially evacuating the Abacos as a whole. Maybe they won't be letting people even return for a long period of time. It would be nice to connect at some point with a local aid group to get some direct input.
Old 06-09-2019, 13:09   #37

Good info Palarran, I'm sure this will continue to evolve over the next few weeks as more information is gathered by the disaster relief groups as they arrive, and assess the conditions.
wolfychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 13:19   #38

Boat: Leopard 39

Palarran, Well spoken. My wife and I have changed our winter cruising plans from the USVI/BVI to relief efforts in the Bahamas. We do have contacts in Hopetown, Man O'War Cay, Marsh Harbor, Spanish Cay and Little Harbour and will be co-ordinating our efforts through them and others. To date this is what we have been told: DON'T GO NOW. Wait serveral weeks at a minimum. There are NO support services; no electricity; no fuel; no water; no moorings; no slips. No food. No medical supplies. Only one operational runway. No cargo ports operable as of 3 days ago. The underwater topography has changed dramatically so current charts are questionable; waterways are filled with debris, visible as well as submerged. They don't want an influx of well meaning people who might get into trouble themselves or put demand on extremely scarce resources. I know you were not advocating an immediate response but rather looking to long term relief but i thought it would be useful to have info from folks on the ground there. The most important piece of reality I received was there is NO labor shortage. Thousands of Bahamians are there, ready, willing and able. What will be needed in the long term are folks with skills, tools and materials that are completely self sufficient. If you bring a generator, bring lots of extra fuel. If you have a water maker realize that the water has all manner of contaminants which your water maker may or may not be able to process. On the what to do right now question: World Central Kitchen is on the ground serving meals from field kitchens in various locations. These are the folks that provided food to thousands in Puerto Rico two years ago. They need donations immediately and volunteers in a few weeks. I spoke with their CSO Erich Broksas 3days ago. He appreciates chefs, cooks, anyone with food service experience that might be available in a few weeks time as they rotate folks in and out as their lives and other responsibilities make demands. HopeTown Volunteer Fire and Rescue folks are vetted relief workers as is the Red Cross. SSCA, Seven Seas Cruisers Association is mounting relief efforts as well. We hope to be heading down to Abacos in mid November leaving from the Ft. Lauderdale area. Happy to join with others as a flotilla or combine skills and resources with like minded individuals. I like the idea of forming a group with a name or acronym that can be used now and in the future. Keep us posted on your efforts. PM if you want to co-ordinate directly. Aloha.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 13:28   #39

Boat: Lightwave 38

Well done Palarran, we are in Asia and to help others in need around the world I will put my hand up to help. I am sure most cruisers would given the chance. A post like yours, a call for help is all we need.
ClarkeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 14:28   #40

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Right now, the big need is food & shelter. Suggest you donate to World Central Kitchen
wck.org

This storm was incredibly destructive and the Abaco's will take many years to re-build, They may not be able to accommodate cruisers this upcoming season
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 14:44   #41

Where may one look to see if that kind of help has been requested, and whom to contact to offer assistance?
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:53   #42

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I posted this a few days ago in the Dorian thread, and a few people have mentioned these organisations, so I'll post it here too for continuity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Apparently José Andrés and his World Central Kitchen team landed in Nassau a few days ago, already had potential shelter and kitchen sites mapped out, and have already started distributing food on Abaco.

After their previous Puerto Rico experience it seems they are better prepared than ever.

He's not mucking around either it seems, apparently he has chartered 2 sea planes, an amphibious vehicle, 2 large helicopters, and a yacht support vessel to move supplies (around 50m/150ft and helicopter capable too).

José uses twitter for on the ground updates.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

https://wck.org/

https://twitter.com/chefjoseandres
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:55   #43

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I posted this a few days ago in the Dorian thread, and a few people have mentioned these organisations, so I'll post it here too for continuity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Yachties mobilize to help Bahamas:

https://www.the-triton.com/2019/09/y...-help-bahamas/

"M/Y Loon is departing from Atlantis today or tomorrow for Marsh Harbour with a team from YachtAid Global onboard.

“Our biggest mission is to save as many lives as possible by getting there as fast as possible,” according to a Facebook post from the yacht. “We can make close to 9,000g of water/day... "

http://yachtaidglobal.org/campaigns/...dqwoFjHL6YwUKk

Sea Shepherd’s JOHN PAUL DEJORIA to Bring Aid to the Bahamas.
The Sea Shepherd patrol vessel JOHN PAUL DEJORIA departed from Jacksonville, Florida a few days before the arrival of Hurricane Dorian.

Our ship made it safely to Cayman Islands where we were warmly welcomed.

Once the winds have abated the JOHN PAUL DEJORIA will return to Florida to pick up humanitarian relief supplies to transport to the Bahamas to the areas devasted by Hurricane Dorian especially the devastated Abacos Islands East of Southern Florida.

The JOHN PAUL DEJORIA can transport 30 tons of supplies. Sea Shepherd will work with the Bahamian government to take on and deliver essential supplies.

In addition to relief supplies, Sea Shepherd will also purchase supplies of dog and cat food for the many homeless dogs and cats on the islands.

https://my.seashepherd.org/operation...Yt-58wSSXn7PDA

It's a start at least.

And of course a huge amount of supplies and aid is already being prepared by Florida Marine Businesses, and it's waiting dockside to go out to the islands.

That's awesome
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:17   #44

After spending two days watching the news and reading about the Abaco hurricane damage, it is possible that there won’t be anything to work on or assist with this year. The general news is that they are evacuating Marsh Harbor and much of the Abacos. The best thing for our forum right now might be to organize ourselves and be prepared if the need and desire of the local people and government asks for our assistance. It probably is best if nobody shows up uninvited.

It would also be beneficial if we put together a pdf page of what we’re hoping to accomplish and willing to do. That way when we send something to the Bahamian government or local aid group it doesn’t appear that we are a roving band of cruisers looking to just show up unprepared for what the situation is there. A second communication that would be great to put together is something we can send to other sailing organizations that can either be printed or posted asking if anyone in their group wants to participate. While the CF is a large forum, there are many more that may want to join our effort – or we may want to join theirs.

Are some of you willing to work together to write this?

Several of you have posted that you might be willing to make the trip. What I can do over the next month is start a spreadsheet with our info. To start the spreadsheet, for those who are considering this relief mission, could you fill out the following and send it to me via PM. Once per week I’ll print off a pdf of it and post it here. If anyone can think of more information that should be collected please let me know. I’ll keep the e-mail address hidden on the pdf but will include your CF handle.

Boat or Crew?
Name of Boat:
Name of Captain:
Email address:
Potential time of arrival:
Potential time of departure:
Number of anticipated crew:
Extra cabin space? How many:
Watermaker?
Special skills:
Old 07-09-2019, 07:26   #45

As an example, by cutting and pasting, this would be mine:
Boat or Crew? Boat
Name of Boat: Palarran
Name of Captain: David Lambright
Email address: david@belaire.com (hidden)
Potential time of arrival: December 1st to 3rd
Potential time of departure: December 17th to 20th
Number of anticipated crew: 8
Extra cabin space? How many: 4 more on deck under awning if needed
Watermaker? Yes - enough to share
Special skills: Mechanical, carpentry, clean up crew,

Tags
Bahamas, cruise, cruiser, fun, hurricane, men