Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 08:17   #91
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sidney, BC and Calabogie ON, Canada
Posts: 26
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

Hello Malcolm, I trust White Shadow has by now made landfall in the Marquesas. We have sailed Panama to The Marquesas a while back but stopped in The Galapagos. Not including the stop, our total passage time was 31 days. Given the last position of about 9 degrees the South Equatorial Current prevailing in that area would be from the East at around 1.5 to 2 knots. Making the speed you reported, White Cloud would be drifting westbound and would possibly be in the vicinity of the Marquesas by now.

Should you still be unable to make contact with the vessel, it would be appropriate to alert Search and Rescue authorities immediately. The area of responsibility is French and the contact info is as follows.

JRCC Tahiti
Type: JRCC | SPOC, Country: French Polynesia
SRR: French Polynesia
Tel: +689 40 54 16 16
contact@jrcc.pf

Good luck
__________________

argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 08:20   #92
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Antibes
Posts: 147
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

Barry made landfall a couple of days ago so all safe and well. 66+ days it took him.



Quote:
Originally Posted by argonauta1 View Post
Hello Malcolm, I trust White Shadow has by now made landfall in the Marquesas. We have sailed Panama to The Marquesas a while back but stopped in The Galapagos. Not including the stop, our total passage time was 31 days. Given the last position of about 9 degrees the South Equatorial Current prevailing in that area would be from the East at around 1.5 to 2 knots. Making the speed you reported, White Cloud would be drifting westbound and would possibly be in the vicinity of the Marquesas by now.

Should you still be unable to make contact with the vessel, it would be appropriate to alert Search and Rescue authorities immediately. The area of responsibility is French and the contact info is as follows.

JRCC Tahiti
Type: JRCC | SPOC, Country: French Polynesia
SRR: French Polynesia
Tel: +689 40 54 16 16
contact@jrcc.pf

Good luck
__________________

kevinof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 09:16   #93
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

As of yesterday on Facebook Barry's Cousin Tina says he arrived safely in Hiva Oa. Just thought I would update this thread so people like me who love the Old Seadog can rest easy again. God bless you Barry!
Sunseacur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 09:34   #94
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winchester, UK
Boat: Jeanneau 39i - Serica
Posts: 40
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseacur View Post
As of yesterday on Facebook Barry's Cousin Tina says he arrived safely in Hiva Oa. Just thought I would update this thread so people like me who love the Old Seadog can rest easy again. God bless you Barry!
Yes indeed he has, the previous pages on this thread 5 and 6 give all the information about is safe unassisted landfall on the 13th, that was also posted to Facebook at the same time. But thanks for your concern.

I will ask the moderator to remove the sticky to save any future confusion
Serica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 09:37   #95
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winchester, UK
Boat: Jeanneau 39i - Serica
Posts: 40
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Nostrum View Post
So glad to hear that Malcolm arrived safely and happy! I'll bet that he had a memorable case of "land sickness" after those 70+ days at sea!! Anchoring out in the roll was probably more comfortable than in the calm of the harbor.


Really enjoyed everyone's comments and expressions of concern and companionship. Cruisers Forum is just the cool place to be!!
Ha ha, thanks for that, but it was Barry who arrived safely, not me (Malcolm) - I'm just his far less adventurous coastal sailing cousin
Serica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 14:23   #96
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: N GA USA
Boat: no sail boat yet :(
Posts: 19
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

Glad to hear Barry is safe!!!
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 15:39   #97
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 15,580
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

So are we all, mon ami.

This thread has been unstuck at the request of Serica.


Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 16:33   #98
Registered User
 
JasonL's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newport Qld
Boat: Seawind 1000 XL
Posts: 30
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

If Barry isn't a member on here, someone please show him this thread!
He will be so thouroghly chuffed, that so many are thinking of him.

Very much now looking forward to his next youtube instalment!

( the more views, the more subscribers, the more "likes/thumbs up" he gets, helps him, bth financially ( as if you could ever live on t!) and psycolgically!
__________________
Absolute newbie, but diving in with eyes wide shut!
Brisbane Australia
JasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 02:02   #99
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Belgium
Boat: wanted a Westerly bought a Halcyon 27
Posts: 13
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

Funny, I saw this tread this morning while I was thinking yesterday "Where the hell is Barry hiding, didn't get any notifications on youtube about him"
I'm so glad it all turned out well.
Keep these movies coming, Old seadog
tgv62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 03:09   #100
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winchester, UK
Boat: Jeanneau 39i - Serica
Posts: 40
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgv62 View Post
Funny, I saw this tread this morning while I was thinking yesterday "Where the hell is Barry hiding, didn't get any notifications on youtube about him"
I'm so glad it all turned out well.
Keep these movies coming, Old seadog
There are update messages on the YouTube comments on his last video, but you need to go to the comments section to see them. I'm sure there will be many more epic videos as he explores the south Pacific Islands
Serica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 00:10   #101
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Antibes
Posts: 147
Re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

For those that have facebook check out Barry's post on the crossing. Makes every interesting reading.


Well done Barry.
kevinof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 02:20   #102
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 34,490
Images: 240
Re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sunseacur.
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current, marquesas, passage, yacht

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Safe Voyage Westbound Around the Cape - Advice ? jglauds Indian Ocean & Red Sea 33 24-03-2011 01:52
Westbound Transatlantic, seeking passage PhilG Atlantic & the Caribbean 1 08-09-2008 12:17



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.