Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 11:44   #1

Boat: Gulf 32" PH Sloop
43' Bertram Finders keepers?

Any thoughts on boats left adrift and abandoned after the pounding so many ports have suffered recently?

Things like this make me go hmm?? Anyone understand what exactly is going on here, to my eyes it looks like a 43' Bertram price = Finders keepers?

Make: Bertram
Model: Convertible
Model Type: Sport Fish
Year: 1989
Length: 43'
Note: Private Salvage
YachtSalvage.com - Bertram 43' 1989 for sale

Under current U.S. admiralty law, which conforms to international salvage law as laid out in the Salvage Convention of 1989, assistance rendered another vessel is considered salvage when: 1) the assisted vessel is subject to a reasonable apprehension of marine peril; 2) the assistance is voluntary; and 3) the assistance is successful in whole or part.

A successful salvor is NOT entitled to just keep the salved vessel, under any circumstances, but is entitled to a generous award. The amount of the award, under the law, is based on the following factors: 1) the value of the vessel and its contents after the salvage is complete; 2) the salvor's skill and initiative in minimizing damage to the environment; 3) the degree of success obtained by the salvor; 4) the level of peril to which the salvaged vessel was subject; 5) the salvor's skill and initiative in saving the vessel, human lives, and other property; 6) the salvor's labor and expenses; 7) the amount of risk run by the salvor; 8) the promptness of the services rendered; 9) the availability and use of any alternative salvage resources; and 10) the readiness, efficiency, and value of the salvor's vessel and equipment.
scottfree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 12:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: 43' Bertram Finders keepers?

This mention in the sale ad is enough to discourage most potential buyers:

"It is reported, while tied to the dock during Hurricane Matthew, high winds pushed swim platform brace into the transom. The resulting damage allowed water to enter the transom area, and flooded the engine room.

Water was about 3 feet high in the cabin. "
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 12:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This mention in the sale ad is enough to discourage most potential buyers:

"It is reported, while tied to the dock during Hurricane Matthew, high winds pushed swim platform brace into the transom. The resulting damage allowed water to enter the transom area, and flooded the engine room.

Water was about 3 feet high in the cabin. "
Some people are less easily discouraged, how many like this could be out there? A $500k Swan 48 floating off Bermuda in 2013, and 2013 was "The 2013 Atlantic hurricane season was a well below average Atlantic hurricane season and the first since 1994 with no major hurricanes"

COME AND GET IT: Free Swan 48 Available
http://www.wavetrain.net/news-a-view...n-48-available

Old 29-09-2017, 13:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This mention in the sale ad is enough to discourage most potential buyers:[/B][/SIZE]
I'm holding off for a nicer boat but the Earth Explorer
(freely available USGS sat.) it has this for sale just north of Hispaniola. Well it did take me 15 mins. to find it from Cali. while watching Shawshank, so yeah if I have to get off my couch it's probably just not possible..

So who's up for a Facebook salvage hunt!!

Old 29-09-2017, 14:05   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

It's not always as easy as it looks. Matt made the attempt, almost got himself killed, and in the end had to give up on Wolfhound:

Update: Matt Rutherford and the Wolfhound - Swan 48 Still Adrift Despite Salvage AttemptOld Salt Blog
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 14:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
It's not always as easy as it looks. Matt made the attempt, almost got himself killed, and in the end had to give up on Wolfhound:

Update: Matt Rutherford and the Wolfhound - Swan 48 Still Adrift Despite Salvage AttemptOld Salt Blog
Well a 42' 18,000 lbs cruiser equipped with and assuming as standard 20hp engine, would not be my first pick to salvage a 48' Swan displacing 36,000 lbs and equipped standard with a almost 2.5x more powerful 57 hp engine ..
Old 29-09-2017, 16:40   #7

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree1 View Post
Things like this make me go hmm?? Anyone understand what exactly is going on here, to my eyes it looks like a 43' Bertram price = Finders keepers?
It's up for auction, the price is going to be whatever the highest bid is plus the fees. Plus, most likely, the cost of repowering with 2 high HP diesels, possible transmission work, a lot of electrical work, a lot of work to get the interior livable again, fiberglass work so that it will float...

They'd have to pay me to keep it.
Old 29-09-2017, 19:11   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree1 View Post
Any thoughts on boats left adrift and abandoned after the pounding so many ports have suffered recently?

snip

Under current U.S. admiralty law, which conforms to international salvage law as laid out in the Salvage Convention of 1989

snip
Just so we are all on the same page keep in mind the laws you are talking about don't include a lot of places, and more to the point some of the waters that were hard hit by recent storms.

Here is a link to the laws in Florida which is a title state. That basically means keep your grubby mitts off abandoned boats without state permission.

And here is the Cliff's Notes blurb from that link:

Frequently asked questions

Can I just help myself to an abandoned vessel that has been discarded or left on public waters of the state?
No! It is a crime in the state of Florida to take an abandoned vessel without first getting title to it, doing so is considered theft. Failure to comply with Section 705.103, Florida Statutes could result in fines or even jail time.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 11:02   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The website looks like a company that sells boats that ended up owned by an insurance company. Someone will buy this cheap and spend too much money and time on it.
Old 30-09-2017, 12:08   #10

A "worthless boat" can make a pretty cool water front condo. And in the Oc where my parents first house in Fountain Valley a 3bed/2bath/4 miles from the beach cost $22,000/$125 mnth, and to qualify? In 1972 a good paper route might cover your $4500y ($2 bucks an hour) income needed to buy that bad boy.

Now it's an "average" OC home, aka it costs $800,000 takes $154,120/$75hr income to qualify for your $4000+/- mortgage. So "dumpster diving" a wrecked yacht appeals to the under $150k a year income club here in the O(ver priced)C..
Old 30-09-2017, 12:26   #11

Stuff like this is how you survive in a place where below average is </= $150,000

Price $4500 + $150 month for the can..

Me flipping the bird from the $150 buck crowd to the $150,000 buck crowd?

Priceless..

"1966 31' Piver sloop rigged trimaran sailboat, Fiberglass over wood construction."

Old 30-09-2017, 13:27   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Well good luck, but run the numbers first to see if its really worth your time.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 14:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well good luck, but run the numbers first to see if its really worth your time.

Pete
It's probably a no go, not familiar with this boat and I bet the interior is a nice place if your previous address contained an inmate number.

I need to raise $25k or so now that my dream boat is finally available for less than what paid for it the the first time, it only took 25 years for it to be worth less than the $32.5k I paid in 1992..

They sprang for davits, self-tailors and stainless steal stove but not the inside stearing station? C'mon man..

1981 Gulf 32 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
32'

To bad can't trade better gear for the inside station, one of the KEY features of the design. And my key feature, being 6'8"is this 32 footer packs more stand up strait @ 6'8" headroom than any other boat I've ever seen..

1980 Gulf 32 Pilot House Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 30-09-2017, 14:50   #14

The cali dream setup for the ultimate cheapskate in a place that has more hands than you've got pockets.. The San Diego quay wall moorings.. Last time I was there $30 for 30 days then 2 weeks out before another 30. Full time buy an existing boat or wait years, not sure how long wait list is now 5yrs maybe? You've got parking you can almost touch, downtown SD, the the trolley, and the airport are 5 mins on foot.

A HUGE protected harbor, Cabo? Hang a left, Nb/Dp/lBC/LA righty, Catalina bear right, Hawaii when you get to Catalina don't pull over, Coronado islands bear left, Tahiti when you hit Coronado don't pull over, all for $150ish per