Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 18:31   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18
Old Boat, New Anchor

I have a new to me 41 Ketch, 25,000 lbs. I'm thinking the 65lb. would be the all around go to anchor. Am I on track ?
Thanks
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 19:28   #2

Boat: 1984 Moody 27
Re: Old Boat, New Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
I have a new to me 41 Ketch, 25,000 lbs. I'm thinking the 65lb. would be the all around go to anchor. Am I on track ?
Thanks
Here is what WEST MARINE says about sizing an anchor
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 19:32   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It's too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.
Old 04-11-2016, 00:32   #4

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

G'day Fishsail.
Looking at your CF joining date it's safe to assume that you already that that there are anchors and there are anchors.
If the 65 pounder you are taking about is NOT a new generation then maybe the answer is 'no', it isn't big enough' However a Rocna or Manson supreme @ 65lb should hold nearly anything....if, if, you have all chain rode and at least 200 feet of it and IF..its of a size suitable for your boat (at least 3/8 but the better experts here might suggest 1/2").
All depends on priorities and intended usage/location.
And how much you love the boat/peaceful sleep.
I've been on the hook 24x7 for 7 years, often in open roadsteads (like the Cates) and in everything that the Tasman Sea can toss at me & I have dragged only once because I dropped in kelp outside Batemans Bay (three years ago).
And I'd say guess that at only 6,800lb (fully laden) and 24'X9' beam I have the smallest boat on CF.
BUT, I do have a 35lb Manson Supreme on the bow with 250' of 5/16 short link (PWB, Oz made) which are numbers I often see used on boats ten feet longer than mine. Then there's a 25 pounder (Manson Sup) on the stern with 25' of 3/8 short link and a 100' nylon rode.
This is where I live and I really hate not sleeping well (war neurosis).
If your 65 pounder is not state of the art with bloody heavy chain and lots of it.....then expect to do anchor watches on 24 hour shifts.
P.S. And I have two X 100' half inch nylon rodes which I can (could if find myself in over 50' water and monster winds) shackle in tandem to the end of the chain if necessary. Both rodes are sheeted on the headsail winches in the cockpit.
Overkill perhaps but I sleep well.
All about values and my priorities could well be different to yours.
Wishing you good ground holding.
B.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 00:47   #5

Boat: 41' yawl

You're on track.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 00:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Ground Tackle Marine
I'm sold on these products and I don't endorse, till now.
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:25   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Thanks
So, I'm assuming with your post that your's is a 65lb Mantus. I notice by the Mantus sizing chart which rates anchor weight by "day, cruising & storm" anchor; your 65 lb choice meets the highest criteria.

I have a 41' ketch of similar weight and I have selected the 45 lb Mantus that suits me well. Of course, there are other factors that can be taken into account. Some of these that bear on my choice are bottom substrate depth, manner of set and, maybe most important,- fetch.

Following the "bigger is better" axiom and the prudent plan that suggests you should be capable of anchoring well at any emergency condition; your choice with the 65 lb is best and my choice is a compromise. ...but then I know what conditions I'm in and I sleep well too.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:05   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bowman 57 - Aleria

I am glad to see this thread has not gone sideways, as many anchoring threads do. I was also pleased to see the advice given trending to the scoop type anchors. "Weight" pre se is no longer the yardstick by which anchors are measured. Much rather it is their holding power and setting ability. Case in point is the Fortress anchor, which has high holding power and low weight. A great primary (bower) and abso a great second anchor. We always have one aboard.

Here is some good reading on the history of anchors, and how they compare:
A Brief History of the (Pleasure) Boat Anchor
goincruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:05   #9

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

One thing not mentioned is the strength of both your roller system and lifting system.

You could overpower both...

We went 2 sizes over (on reading their instructions, the new anchor technology no longer relies on weight, but more so surface area for digging - see Spade aluminum for example) with our Rocna 33 for our 44K# Morgan 461, keeping our 5/15 G4 chain. Even though we've redesigned our roller system to include a cantilever to minimize the over-center effort needed to clear the roller, our windlass grunts sometimes when we pull up a monster ball of the bottom...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:14   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Quote:
Thanks
We chose the same Mantus 65# for our 44' cutter. Couldn't be happier. Have safely been on the hook for squalls over 50 kts; sustained winds of 40 kts. and Hurricane Matthew winds in southern FL, >50 kts. The boat weighs in at 23,000, empty. (But, when does that ever happen?!) Fully laden we are probably closer to 28,000#. Our #2 is a Fortress FX-37. It was deployed on a 45* alongside the Mantus for the hurricane. Have a Britney 38# and a Danforth 25# on the stern, just in case. We even have two sizes of dinghy anchors. Never, never, never skimp on ground tackle.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:34   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Testimonies of wind speed are of interest, but they do not represent a scale to measure anchor performance. The admonishment to never skimp on ground tackle is well said, but you can not glean real performance from anecdotal events of wind speed, duration or number of events.

I've spent more than one occasion hanging on a single 45 lb anchor in winds 50 to 75 mph for a ten hour period with my 41' ketch. Ah, but I was in six to seven feet of water with 200' of chain, good holding and a 300' fetch!

Location makes far more difference than any other factor when you're judging how appropriate your ground tackle is. Much of your judgement in selecting your anchor can be related to your confidence in locations and risks.

One reason I choose the lighter ground tackle is because of my ability and timing for selecting locations. Sure, I can see risky scenarios, but I measure and accept my risks.
Old 04-11-2016, 17:23   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Too true, HF! There are many more factors than I related.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-11-2016, 08:31   #13

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

I'm sorry I should have been a bit more specific in my question , I meant I'm looking at a Mantus 65lb Anchor.
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:55   #14

Quote:
I'm sorry I should have been a bit more specific in my question , I meant I'm looking at a Mantus 65lb Anchor.
That is more than enough. I have a 42ft pilot house trawler with much more windage, and my 65lb Delta-copy with 3/8 HT rode has never drug. It's a beast and available on ebay for under 300 bucks. We just finished a 2 year cruise and can't stress how great its been. The windlass pulls the bow down vertically 3 or 4 times before I can get it to break loose each day.

Also, I have had issues with the biggest fortress made as the low weight can't get through weeds and silt - drug a 70 ft sail boat in Cartagena Columbia and had the federales towing us out of the shallows after sitting/setting in the same wind for 3 days. It's just too light for soft silt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
One thing not mentioned is the strength of both your roller system and lifting system.

You could overpower both...

We went 2 sizes over (on reading their instructions, the new anchor technology no longer relies on weight, but more so surface area for digging - see Spade aluminum for example) with our Rocna 33 for our 44K# Morgan 461, keeping our 5/15 G4 chain. Even though we've redesigned our roller system to include a cantilever to minimize the over-center effort needed to clear the roller, our windlass grunts sometimes when we pull up a monster ball of the bottom...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
We chose the same Mantus 65# for our 44' cutter. Couldn't be happier. Have safely been on the hook for squalls over 50 kts; sustained winds of 40 kts. and Hurricane Matthew winds in southern FL, >50 kts. The boat weighs in at 23,000, empty. (But, when does that ever happen?!) Fully laden we are probably closer to 28,000#. Our #2 is a Fortress FX-37. It was deployed on a 45* alongside the Mantus for the hurricane. Have a Britney 38# and a Danforth 25# on the stern, just in case. We even have two sizes of dinghy anchors. Never, never, never skimp on ground tackle.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 10:23   #15

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Three Sheets , I have a Morgan 384 and use a regular anchor of a 33 Bruise 40 chain 200 rode
storm anchor a 45 Rocha 200 ft chain
What kind of windless do you have ?
I think 65 lbs CQR is way overkill
St nick Tarpon Springs / WindRose
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor