Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 07:13   #31

Boat: Shannon 38 Ketch
Re: Old Boat, New Anchor

Here are a couple of pictures of our new anchor, a Sarca Excel. It's made in Australia by Anchor Right. The only North American distributor is, Ground Tackle Marine in British Columbia CA. All that being said, even after the purchase price and shipping from Canada's west coast to Ohio, the total cost was considerably less than a Spade. I made my decision after watching the anchor videos on you tube by, S/V Delos. I don't think we will be disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170224_15_47_36_Pro.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	142355   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170224_15_47_24_Pro.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	142356  

Large Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:17   #32

Boat: Shannon 38 Ketch

I meant to say the videos on you tube were from S/V Panope. Sorry about the mix up.
Large Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 16:03   #33

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/252558496396

Delta style works great, and look at this price!
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 16:06   #34

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/191972233514

And 66lbs.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 17:30   #35

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
For our 47'x13'9" Kaufman 47 cutter that weighs 30k light ...

.... right now where we are and not having the windlass installed, we use our Fortress FX-37. It works great in our muck and sandy clay bottoms here in New Orleans.
Attachment 142003
I have an FX-37 that I consider too small for our 15 ton cutter, Kelley-Peterson 44. I carry an FX-85 as second to our 30k Bruce. But chain makes a difference. I use the lighter G4 5/16" chain and your heavier chain will add to your anchor's holding power.

A friend saw a Cousteau research vessel near Cap Horn with a 25 pound CQR that didn't look like much. But they used 1/2" chain(!) and said it held them wherever they went.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 18:21   #36

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
I have a new to me 41 Ketch, 25,000 lbs. I'm thinking the 65lb. would be the all around go to anchor. Am I on track ?
Thanks
Of course, there's not much way to answer without knowing what anchor you're thinking about. A 60 pound Fortress would hold a battleship. And whether you use all-chain and what size chain affect your anchor's abilities.

I use all-chain and use an anchor a size larger than rated for my vessel. And I do not ever use a "lunch hook"; a light anchor for quick stops. If you anchor with a light anchor, the day will come when you must dingy ashore for 15 minutes and you will find yourself ashore for hours - worrying about your boat because a breeze came up.
Windlasses hardly feel your main anchor; the chain weighs more. Always use your main anchor. The only small anchor I carry is a 4 pound Bruce for our dingy.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 21:16   #37

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus

I'll chime in on loving the Mantus. I was a fairly early adopter, and switched over from the CQR with delight. Having dragged that CQR too many times, I have never, ever, not once, had the Mantus drag.We've gone around Van Isle and had all the usual windy conditions one encounters in year-round cruising around the Salish Sea. Ours is not oversized, being a 35# on our 16,000# Gulf 32. I use 120' of chain, and several hundred more of heavy line, and find that the vast majority of our anchoring here in the NW is in depths less than 40! It is nice to put out 130 or so feet of rode and get to the three strand, so the chain is not on the windlass and the noise is not transmitted.

Anyway, the Mantus is such an incredible improvement over the Bruce and CQR's I've had, that as I walk marinas here in the NW I am stunned to see the majority of boats still hanging them off the bow. Then again, most of these boats never anchor. By far the most harrowing stories I have heard had to do with anchors dragging, and they were never a Mantus or Rocna. Insurance companies should require them!
Old 21-04-2017, 18:08   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSon View Post
Look at this on eBay New 44 lb 20 kg Galvanized Steel Delta Style Boat Anchor Boats from 38-48 feet | eBay

Delta style works great, and look at this price!
I looked...welded chinese crap.Anchors are insurance.You get what you pay for.
parrotsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 15:31   #39

Boat: Catana 50

A great big nod for Mantus from us as well. We got ours a year ago. We live on our hook 8+ months of the year. I've been cruising on and off for 35 years, owned 4 boats and chartered dozens of others. You could not pay me to switch anchors. Actually, "portable mooring" is probbaly a better description than anchor!

I've read and watched more anchor tests than a person should admit too, and what I think makes the Mantus work better, is that it has a higher (if not the highest) percentage of total weight resting on the tip when it rests on the ground. That combined with it's almost sharpened tip.

I caution new Mantus anchor users with two things: 1) Be careful backing down after you lower it. It sets so fast and hard it can put much more stress on your roller than you are used to, and 2) it lets you sleep far too soundly!!!
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 07:02   #40

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Our boat came with an original Lewmar Delta. It dragged all over Galveston Bay, to the point that I would motor back to the marina at night rather than trust it. Purchased a Rocna (w/roll bar) as a replacement. Initially kicked myself for paying so much, but within a short time felt it was one of the best purchases ever made. Has never dragged, and set solidly in anchorages from Texas to Georgetown, Exumas and back. All the time carried a backup Fortress that has never been in the water.

I also have one of the new Mantus dinghy anchors. Very nicely made. I would consider purchase of one of their larger anchors as well.

Whoever wrote about their CQR being carried in the back of a pickup. That's a great idea, especially in areas that get icy or pulling a trailer up a wet launch ramp. More nautical than sand bags!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor