Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2016, 15:05   #1

Boat: Amel Maramu 46
Wanted - 40'(approx) Blue-water live-aboard

My partner and I are looking for that 'perfect' yacht to spend several years cruising the South Pacific region and further afield.

At this stage we have eliminated most production boats and now looking at older more solid hulls requiring a full or partial refit. It has been suggested that full-keelers are more sea-kindly but lack the windward performance of modern boats such as the Jeanneau.

My question to those who have been there before us is whether we are going down the correct path or should we be looking at a vessel that has been regularly maintained and upgraded? One such yacht we saw for example was a 26 year old 50 footer in Langkawi priced at US$275K while we have seen a multitude of others well under US$100K.

Yes, we do have budget constraints andw know that you 'get what you pay for' e but am interested to hear the perspective and experience of others.

Happy sailing - Dennis
Old 18-11-2016, 16:04   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Wanted - 40'(approx) Blue-water live-aboard

A boat's value can be graphed as a stepped decline over the years, with flat levels coming after refits. The lesson here is that you never get your money out of a refit if you sell the boat. So, it stands to reason that the best value in a boat is one that has been recently and extensively refit, but is now on the market. Let the previous owner eat the cost.

Buying an older boat "on the cheap" with the theory that you're going to do a major refit, unless you know a whole lot about boat repair and maintenance and are going to do the work yourself, is a recipe for spending more than you expected and having considerably more invested in the boat than it's subsequent value.

The upside is that you get to have it refit exactly as you like. However, another reason to avoid boats in need of extensive refits is that if they have fallen into such a state of disrepair and neglect, there is probably more work that needs to be done than meets the eye, and you're level of confidence in all the boat's systems should be fairly low.

Given your goals, what I would look for is a boat that was recently refit and equipped for a circumnavigation, which then never happened. They are out there.
Old 18-11-2016, 18:17   #3

Boat: Nicholson 38

Suijin is making some good points.

Find a well built boat that was circumnavigated, kept in shape, and now the owners are (perhaps reluctantly) giving it up. We purchased a Nicholson 38 in great condition - the owner kept it in good shape even though he no longer did long cruises. He had it 27 years, took it from the West Coast US to Australia and back in the late 80s, and then kept it in Port Townsend and had shipwrights keep it in shape.

When we were looking to buy, we looked at Jeanneaus, and the rest of the modern builders, and just didn't see the value/$. So we went with this 40 year old, well designed, super solid boat and are very happy. We just did our first Pacific crossing this year, and have plans for adventures further south.

And with the market weak, Nic 38s are pretty reasonable, though most are in the EU. Of course the $ is strong right now!

Van
Old 19-11-2016, 03:24   #4

Boat: seafinn 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffsguy View Post
My partner and I are looking for that 'perfect' yacht to spend several years cruising the South Pacific region and further afield.

At this stage we have eliminated most production boats and now looking at older more solid hulls requiring a full or partial refit. It has been suggested that full-keelers are more sea-kindly but lack the windward performance of modern boats such as the Jeanneau.

My question to those who have been there before us is whether we are going down the correct path or should we be looking at a vessel that has been regularly maintained and upgraded? One such yacht we saw for example was a 26 year old 50 footer in Langkawi priced at US$275K while we have seen a multitude of others well under US$100K.

Yes, we do have budget constraints andw know that you 'get what you pay for' e but am interested to hear the perspective and experience of others.

Happy sailing - Dennis
Hi Dennis I have the perfect one seafinn 411 100 k peternilsson49@yahoo.com
Old 19-11-2016, 09:28   #5

Boat: 47 Vagabond

Dennis,. I am currently doing renovation work on a 47ft Porpoise,. Wm Garden design. Fiberglass, 2+ inches thick. 1971 build done by Duncan Marine. This one is hull #1 built for John Duncan so it is the only one built with 1inch teak interior. The refurbishment is a learning experience to say the least. But it is enjoyable, and when finished, I should know every system intimately.
If you are interested, send me an email. Still a buyer's market in the US, and I locate boats for prospective buyers. Might even be tempted to part with the Porpoise for far less than $100k.
Good luck with the search, it's a large part of the fun.
Rorykremer1@yahoo.com
Old 19-11-2016, 09:58   #6

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

These folks are selling due to personal injury.

1988 Jonmeri Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And these folks are getting ready to sell, on to other adventures.
S.V. CAMBRIA: Waterline | Word of the Week
Old 19-11-2016, 10:50   #7

Boat: Nauticat 32

I have not sailed round the world. Far from it, but here are some opinions.

Unless your budget is unlimited, buying "older more solid hulls" sounds like a good idea. But I would not seek a boat "requiring a full or partial refit". Your second alternative, a "regularly maintained and upgraded" boat is a better approach. If you spend some time looking, you can find a well maintained boat with no need for major "projects", and with all the basic blue-water stuff that you need. That's probably a much cheaper approach too.

Full keel is ok but I might even prefer a solid fin keel, if it is strong enough. Good upwind capabilities could be nice, although not mandatory since typical round the world routes are mostly downwind. I guess you are not looking for the fastest boat, but rather a strong and safe boat. Make sure that the major expensive parts like hull and motor are in good shape.
Old 19-11-2016, 11:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroar View Post
These folks are selling due to personal injury.

1988 Jonmeri Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Looks nice. I might be tempted. See some old comments in http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...se-144866.html .
Old 19-11-2016, 11:19   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Good advice so far.
Older hand laid boats have much sturdier hulls.
Get one that has been maintained.
Avoid major project boats.
Old 19-11-2016, 13:03   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

I suggest looking at Caliber 40s, many have been maintained and updated and they are well built, roomy but not modern"Triangle" boats, yet have a Brewer bite type keel that is better to windward but still provides a kindly motion in rough seas.
Old 19-11-2016, 15:04   #11

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Looks nice. I might be tempted. See some old comments in http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...se-144866.html .
Be very careful buying a boat with teak decks. Big potential for deck leaks which is one of the more expensive or labor intensive repairs you can get stuck with. It looks like some of the teak has been painted with Kiwi Grip or something similar. That's not a good sign.
Old 19-11-2016, 15:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Be very careful buying a boat with teak decks. Big potential for deck leaks which is one of the more expensive or labor intensive repairs you can get stuck with. It looks like some of the teak has been painted with Kiwi Grip or something similar. That's not a good sign.
What I'm most worried in this boat is the combination of teak deck and balsa core. Teak deck alone (on top of solid GRP) would be a lesser problem, because you can roughly see how good the teak deck is when you look at it. A new teak deck would be expensive, so the old one should do, if there is no budget for a new one.

Better to check the condition of the balsa core carefully (by a surveyor). The grip paint may indicate that there has been a leak somewhere.
Old 19-11-2016, 15:37   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You might want to consider this boat:

Swan 48 - KARA MIA - Nautor's Swan USA East

I personally sailed this boat across the atlantic in 2010 after it had an extensive refit that included new engine, mast, rigging, electronics...the list goes on and on. Below is incredible (if you like wood), and the S&S design is above reproach. The pedigree is impeccable and the condition (when last I saw it) a 9 out of 10. In short, the previous owner was meticulous and had no shortage of money to have everything done.

The boat has not seen much (if any) use in the last few years. I know the owner. An offer of half the asking price might be accepted.

EDIT
Oh no...after being for sale for 5 years, its sold...sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p18qiqvq9s17ftnta1qi14gm48g7.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	136497   Click image for larger version

Name:	p18qir17ks1ron8vhaslh88e4lg.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	136498  

Old 19-11-2016, 16:30   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

We have a well equipped Bruce Roberts Designed Offshore 44 that went through a refit in 2010/11 and has become too much for us.
It is in Langkawi, Malaysia and is listed under Icicle1.com as well as other boat selling ad sites.
We are on board now decluttering hopefully for a new owner. We left in 2000 for an around the world trip but got caught up with refit and hull work. It just became too much for us. Needs some cosmetic help at this time but is a solid cruiser with one of the nicest hulls around.
Check it out.
Old 19-11-2016, 16:42   #15

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Heres a couple who bought a Westerly ocean 49, on this page click on the link for boat hunt. They did a lot of research for you.

https://laridae.ca/laridae/
All their conclusions are soild

The makrket is a a buyers market. I have seen a few KILLER deals here in Malaysia / Thailand, way below your budget. Just remember its a sailboat and no matter how a good a deal you get it requires money. spend 100- budget 140 spend 60 budget 100......

Another bit of advice, uy a boat, if it is seaworthy, move in and sail it for a year before you touch a thing ( unless it is a safetly issue), what you think youll want to change or improve I gaurentee will be different that what you auctally do.

Good luck.

BTW I have walked past the Roberts 44 listed above and from the exterior it is in immaculate condition.... Im just not a ketch guy....
Closed Thread

Tags
wanted, water