Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 17:23   #1

Wanted 35'-42' bluewater cruiser! Up to $25k

Wanted 35'-42' bluewater cruiser!

We are in the market for a 1979 or newer 35'-42' sloop or cutter bluewater cruiser located on the East coast, gulf coast, or in the Caribbean. Prefer a full keel, full set of sails (extra set of sails a plus), good strong diesel engine, autopilot, navigation electronics, standard safety gear, recent rigging refit or standing rigging tuned, full galley, recent bottom job, sleeps four comfortably, bimini, and rainshield.

She must be documented through USCG, your state, or by a foreign governmental entity. In otherwords, proof of ownership. A recent survey is a plus.

We will be wintering in the Caribbean, joining the ARC Europe rally next spring to Portugal, cruise the Mediterranean, then on to Asia. A strong, reliable, capable cruiser without a ton of work needing to be done is our preference.

Up to $25k cash! If your boat meets our requirements, please send specifications, and pics.
Its_about_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:14   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Wanted 35'-42' bluewater cruiser! Up to $25k

Is it April 1st already?

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Is it April 1st already?
Ad states "prefer".
Old 12-09-2017, 08:56   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Slightly OT:

As long as we're dreaming, I'd like to purchase a nearly new, low miles, perfect inside and out Tesla automobile for no more than $500.
Prefer the color Metallic Silver.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:04   #5

Plenty around in that price range now......
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Plenty around in that price range now......
True! I have more pages bookmarked on Sailboats that closely match the criteria it just seemed better to just ask verus keep searching. We are flying to Boston after Irma clears the US. If anyone has a boat that closely matches our needs please let me know. I coudn't edit my original post to add semi full keel, and fin keels.

Thanks for the assistance!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Good luck with your search! While I have heard rumors from time to time of folks finding a ready to go boat with goodies for tiny $$$, they are always a "A friend of a friend" type of rumor. Never I bought my boat for $$$, pennies on the dollar, and she is ready to go.

Having said that, people win the lottery all of the time, it comes down to luck. If you do find it, be extra careful, and watch "The money Pit" to see what I mean...

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Good luck with your search! While I have heard rumors from time to time of folks finding a ready to go boat with goodies for tiny $$$, they are always a "A friend of a friend" type of rumor. Never I bought my boat for $$$, pennies on the dollar, and she is ready to go.

Having said that, people win the lottery all of the time, it comes down to luck. If you do find it, be extra careful, and watch "The money Pit" to see what I mean...

Chris
Thank you! All I can do is ask around and narrow the search. I ll avoid the project boats, and the ones the owers have not maintained.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:45   #9

Boat: Sabre 34

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think such boat would be around 4x what your budget is. Feel free to adjust my estimate if this is inaccurate

- New Sails around 5- 10K
- Fresh (New) Motor 10-20K
- New standing rigging 10 - 15K
- Bottom job 3-5K
- New electronics 3-5K

then of course a boat itself.

$31K low to $55K high in maintenance/upgrades plus the boat itself.

Am I wrong to think that your budget of $25K cash vs. expectations are way off.
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think such boat would be around 4x what your budget is. Feel free to adjust my estimate if this is inaccurate

- New Sails around 5- 10K
- Fresh (New) Motor 10-20K
- New standing rigging 10 - 15K
- Bottom job 3-5K
- New electronics 3-5K

then of course a boat itself.

$31K low to $55K high in maintenance/upgrades plus the boat itself.

Am I wrong to think that your budget of $25K cash vs. expectations are way off.
It s just an ad.. :-)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:19   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_about_time View Post
True! I have more pages bookmarked on Sailboats that closely match the criteria it just seemed better to just ask verus keep searching. We are flying to Boston after Irma clears the US. If anyone has a boat that closely matches our needs please let me know. I coudn't edit my original post to add semi full keel, and fin keels.

Thanks for the assistance!
I'm wondering how much experience you have with bigger boats and how realistic your expectations are. Your requirements list looks suspiciously like one assembled from a lot of net surfing.

That and the fact you want to sail the wrong way around the world.

But as you say if you don't ask no one can say yes.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I'm wondering how much experience you have with bigger boats and how realistic your expectations are. Your requirements list looks suspiciously like one assembled from a lot of net surfing.

That and the fact you want to sail the wrong way around the world.

But as you say if you don't ask no one can say yes.
Sailed for over 30 years from 12' to 42'. It s the best route to the Mediterranean. I ve been in Asia... No need to cross the Pacific again. Just going to visit friends living in Malaysia and the Philippines after cruising the Mediterranean, with our eyes set on Croatia.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

We are in the market for a 1979 or newer 35'-42' sloop or cutter bluewater cruiser located on the East coast, gulf coast, or in the Caribbean. Prefer a full keel, full set of sails (extra set of sails a plus), good strong diesel engine, autopilot, navigation electronics, standard safety gear, recent rigging refit or standing rigging tuned, full galley, recent bottom job, sleeps four comfortably, bimini, and rainshield.

She must be documented through USCG, your state, or by a foreign governmental entity. In otherwords, proof of ownership. A recent survey is a plus.

We will be wintering in the Caribbean, joining the ARC Europe rally next spring to Portugal, cruise the Mediterranean, then on to Asia. A strong, reliable, capable cruiser without a ton of work needing to be done is our preference.

Up to $25k cash! If your boat meets our requirements, please send specifications, and pics.
_______

Boat Type and Selection and Boat Features Topics

I have posted information and photos on hundreds of boats which I believe fit the needs of many CF members. There are several boat description threads. But, if you are looking for a LOW PRICED cruising boat, I recommend reading this thread as a good introduction to many boat brands and models that are usually on the market (in the USA market) for a relatively Low Asking Price.

Boats Less Than $30K - Noteworthy Recent Finds
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Any experienced passage making, or offshore ("bluewater") sailor will tell you, few used boats are "ready to cruise" or to make a passage across an ocean. So, make sure you set aside enough money to do necessary repairs or upgrades to the boat. Older, lower priced boats may require many "fixes" even if they are advertised as "good condition."

Best Resources for Self-Survey of Boats: Tips, Tutorials, Troubleshooting Guides
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-188503.html

Here are a few more topics that may help you too, especially if you are purchasing an older or used boat that has not been maintained or sailed or has been "on the hard" for a long time.

Sailboat Operating Cost Topics

Refit Costs: Seacocks: How Many and How Much?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ch-176683.html

Used Boat Disclaimers: "Has not been used in years."
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-167513.html

Diesel Engines: Love and Hate List, Features and Problems
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ms-175199.html

Time and Fuel Cost for ICW Cruise from Maine to Key West?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-137753.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:05   #14
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:

You know there's this website; yachtworld.com that is much more likely to have this than this limited number of internet forum posters. And even more likely for your budget there's craigslist.com
Old 12-09-2017, 11:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
_______

Boat Type and Selection and Boat Features Topics

I have posted information and photos on hundreds of boats which I believe fit the needs of many CF members. There are several boat description threads. But, if you are looking for a LOW PRICED cruising boat, I recommend reading this thread as a good introduction to many boat brands and models that are usually on the market (in the USA market) for a relatively Low Asking Price.

Boats Less Than $30K - Noteworthy Recent Finds
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Any experienced passage making, or offshore ("bluewater") sailor will tell you, few used boats are "ready to cruise" or to make a passage across an ocean. So, make sure you set aside enough money to do necessary repairs or upgrades to the boat. Older, lower priced boats may require many "fixes" even if they are advertised as "good condition."

Best Resources for Self-Survey of Boats: Tips, Tutorials, Troubleshooting Guides
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-188503.html

Here are a few more topics that may help you too, especially if you are purchasing an older or used boat that has not been maintained or sailed or has been "on the hard" for a long time.

Sailboat Operating Cost Topics

Refit Costs: Seacocks: How Many and How Much?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ch-176683.html

Used Boat Disclaimers: "Has not been used in years."
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-167513.html

Diesel Engines: Love and Hate List, Features and Problems
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ms-175199.html

Time and Fuel Cost for ICW Cruise from Maine to Key West?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-137753.html
Thank you!

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, wanted, water