Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 16:33   #61
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Trailerable sailboat, 26 to 30?

Forgot where you are again but if the water is significantly colder than the air temp (more so when adding heat to the boat) the hull will sweat just like a cold beer can on a hot day. The stringers on each side of the M will catch it and collect. I would bleach them sponge out once every couple months during the season. It took 30 min and my bilges were always clean, I still don’t see it as a detriment and wish my current bilges were as easy to clean.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 11:24   #62
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Maybe a scam, but if not worth moving quickly

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/b...869901145.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 13:06   #63

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Maybe a scam, but if not worth moving quickly

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/b...869901145.html

Yea I saw that one, looks like a decent deal, but unfortunately would weight too much for my van to pull, i have 3500 lb tow limit. Also it is a very long drive from Chicago to Vancouver.

Thanks though.

I should mention in here, I have found a boat now. It is in amazing shape, 26s. Making plans to pick it up.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 14:02   #64
cruiser

Fantastic, and yes very different creature, much more a "real sailboat"
Old 27-04-2019, 09:55   #65

Boat: Ranger 22 #207

The MacGregor 26S is much better than the 26X/M (Coming from someone who owns an M). Faster and better looking at the expense of some of the headroom but pop-tops are just fine. Probably better built as well. The hull-deck joint on my 26M was sealed with open-cell foam tape and a rubber rub-rail and all of my bottom paint has blistered (only the upper white layer, inner blue is fine) on a 2011 model. Good luck with your new boat.
HellBentSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 19:05   #66
cruiser

But you can't hang a 70 horse off her to duck over to Cuba for the day at 20 knots 8-)
Old 07-05-2019, 22:34   #67

Boat: Macgregor 26S

We own a 26S (Swing keel) and are currently updating it and outfitting it for extended family outings. That's the goal/hope at least. If you haven't seen this site, have a look. This family did it - and with big dogs too! These guys are my inspiration. Both in terms of "doing it" and a lot of the modifications he's made to his Mac.

Lake Powell sailboat and kayak trip

We're rewiring this spring to accommodate the needs of the family (USB chargers and reading lamps in the berths). Bought an Omnia oven to try out this season and am hanging 160watts of solar somehow (likely building a solar arch at the back).

We looked at an X before buying the C (classic) and while the headroom was much nicer and the enclosed head was a bit more functional than on the C we determined we wanted a sailboat, not a motorsailer. We bought ours out of White Rock and it hauled home over the rockies just fine with dad's 4-Runner. I hauled it around Alberta with a Chev Trailblazer (rated at 3500#) for two seasons and it was fine (all without trailer brakes). I now haul with an Avalanche and hardly feel the boat.

Launching and loading is a breeze but you'll need to do some homework on the "Macgregor Bump"....the boats sit 6 inches back on the trailer just because of the way the angles work when retrieving them....as the back of the boat tips down onto the trailer the front pulls away from the yoke, leaving a gap. If you try to haul like this the tongue is like a wet noodle.

There are many Mac meet ups in the Gulf Islands too - definitely have a big following. I'd suggest that a C will hold it's value assuming you get a good purchase price but any modifications you do are your own contribution to the boat - I doubt you'd recover more than the initial investment. I've been watching the market since we bought and everything has stayed right around the same buy-in mark just under $10k. That's also assuming any modifications you make to the boat are dome well and "fit" the boat. We saw one ad when we were buying where the guy had put a steering setup from a speedboat at the forward wall of the cockpit well. Perhaps for steering by foot? Seemed very odd but I'm sure it was incredibly practical. But it's mods like that we steered clear of.

Oh, one other thing - we felt the pedestal in the cockpit of the X's and M's was really horribly in the way. Our wide open cockpit is so much nicer.
MacboyCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:31   #68

Boat: MacGregor 26S, 1993

Macboy, we too sail a Mac 26S, and have done extensive mods for long term cruising. Check out our blog at eclipses-odyssey.blogsplot.com
ghochgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:42   #69

Well you've piqued my interests for sure! I'd love to see what you've done. The link to the blog isn't working for me - is it correct?
Old 08-05-2019, 11:23   #70
cruiser

http://eclipses-odyssey.blogspot.com/
Old 08-05-2019, 19:14   #71

Wow! What a read! And what a trip! Thanks for putting that together for the world to read. The mods you've made to the Mac are amazing too - far more in-depth than I'll be going but inspirational for certain.

I wanted to thank you for this bit from your blog specifically. It made me proud to be Canadian because (for the most part) you are right. I hope many others see us crazy Canadians the same way.

From the blog (Ottawa) - Afterward I was amazed as thousands of people crossed a major road, not closed to traffic, there was no police presence anywhere. No cars with blinking lights, no officers wearing bullet proof vests watching over, no wooden barricades to keep vehicles and pedestrians separated. Canada trusts each other. Canadians behave themselves. Canada lacks the 'fear of the other' that is so prevalent a short distance to the south. People wearing burkhas, or sarongs, or speaking Russian and more, are happy to be with each other.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:43   #72

Boat: MacGregor 26S, 1993

blogspot, not blogsplot!
ghochgraf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, trailer