Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 07:05   #1

Boat: Tayana 48
Tayana 48 year 2000

Nomad...

Tayana 48 for sale...the perfect long range/live aboard/life on the hook cruising boat!

Currently in the Titusville, Florida.

Selling price $323,000.
Year 2000, hull 66

Every boat has a story (or a few) to tell. NOMAD is no exception. We bought her in 2013 and did a major refit. We have cruised her full time since then. As we all know life changes. Here is a run down of some of NOMAD's attributes...

Robert Perry Design, 48' long, 14.5' beam, 35k lbs, 6' draft, 63' air draft, Yanmar engine 88 hp 3800 hrs, Fischer Panda mini 8 (year 2009 - fresh water cooled gen, 1100 hrs) generator, water 235, fuel 120, holding 30

Tayana builds semi custom...This layout -- fwd V berth and head with separate shower stall, salon setees both sides with sea berth on port, galley, aft state room with walk around queen and ensuite head.

Here are some of the specifics to NOMAD's equipment list:
Refit in 2013
NEW Selden internal car mast/boom/rig to change to (new) full batten main built to 62.5' AWL (clears all the 'so called' 65' ICW bridges)
NEW wiring and lights for all mast navigation -- LED anchor/tri light/steaming
NEW Keel cooled Frigoboat 12v refer and freezer added (Grunert 115v remains as alternate)
NEW Custom SS arch/davit system by Mack Sails
NEW Passive charging combo Kyocera solar and MK450 Wind Generator
NEW Emarine panel with Blue Sky charge controller
NEW Class B AIS
NEW LED bulbs through out
NEW SS lifelines -- 1/4" uncoated
NEW Icom VHF M412 added at helm
NEW ACR Globalfix EPIRB
NEW Acrylic companionway doors
NEW windshield and screens
NEW smoke and CO detectors
NEW fresh water pump variable speed, 5gpm
NEW Raritan Head (aft)

Other equipment:
SK Watermaker - 25 GPH (new membranes 2013, tubes 2014)
Batteries - 800 AH house, GRP 31 Eng start, GRP 31 Gen start
Three separate A/C unit Marine Air (28,000 BTU)
Grunert 115v holding plate freezer/refrigeration (also 12v Frigoboat as primary)
Standard Horizon VHF at Nav station
Raymarine electronics C120W chart plotter, etc.
Magnum 2500 charger/inverter (new 2015)
Sea Recovery (UV) Water filtration system
Vetus Bow thruster
Lewmar electric winch (at cabin top)
Max Prop with PYI drip less shaft seal
Fuel polishing system
Two (2) Racor filters - eng, gen all with heat shields
Winslow 6 man life raft (certified Sept. 2015)
Spade 77 lb anchor - primary
AB 10vl dinghy with Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke (not pretty but serviceable)

This is a taste of NOMAD. We would be happy to discuss her with anyone any time. We believe her to be one of the best equipped and maintained Tayana 48 currently on the market. And would love to discuss this with anyone. Of course that is subject to owners' opinion. -Ha!

Currently -- ready to load and go.

Best to you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	160003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3708 galley looking aft.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	160004  

Name:	P1020237.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	160005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3719 salon #1.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	160006  

D Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 13:35   #2

Re: Tayana 48 year 2000

The recent snow in San Antonio reminds me of the axiom, "If you have to wear a coat, it's time to sail south". Which fits unless of course you live in the Southern hemisphere!

We received an inch Dec 7...Too cold, can't move!

Nomad is ready to load and go.

D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gypsy and lea ann snow 12.7.2017.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	160660  
Old 15-01-2018, 08:57   #3

Here is a current spec sheet that can be downloaded.

Regards to all,
D
Attached Files
File Type: doc NOMAD Spec sheet Nov 1, 2017.doc (24.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 30-01-2018, 16:14   #4

We are back on the boat and ready to sow her to any interested parties. It is time to look at dropping the price. Any ideas or input is appreciated. Let's talk.

Standing by
D
Old 30-01-2018, 17:59   #5

Boat: 2009 Leopard 40

I'd sure be interested, but she's north of my low 200s budget...beautiful boat, though!
ascarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 16:15   #6

Ascarwel...

Yes, north of 'low 200's', but by how much? Of course I cannot address your budget, we all have one. Do the math!

I set the price based on existing and sold market. I did a good job of pricing an asking price...Now do the math...

Let's say my math said '$323' and that was valid. Cool, and based on facts (that are now aged), let's look again. What is the selling price? Ugh! and Ow! I do not know what the true selling price is. What is the best time to buy a boat?, 'When the owner is ready to sell'.

If I drop my price to (a number based on market now?) and expect an offer 10% less than listed, and factor in a brokerage charge of 10%, where would I be? Let's just say it is not 'low 200s' but it might not be far off.

O.K. Do the math...Let us say I would drop the price to 299 (not saying I would, just saying). Would I consider 90% of that? Uh, why wouldn't I?... that would put the contract price at $270. If I would pay a broker 10% (for their copious work) that would be a net sale to me of $243K.

How far off of 'low 200s' are we for a dream boat? Just sayin'.

It is so easy to sit in a land base and dream. We are all dreamers. Get out of the house, step up to the difficulties of the unknown and (I hate to use this quote) just do it. You will not regret it.

As the saying goes (attributed to many sources, Mark Twain most)...Twenty years from now, you will more regret the things that you did not do than the things you did do. Explore, dream, discover".

I am telling you and all...Just do it.! OMG I am preaching!..We have done it. And, if Nomad does not sell soon, we might just say, too late "Let's go again". It's all good.

Need more info? PM me.

When is the best time to buy a boat?, "When the owner is ready to sell".

Enough said
D
Old 31-01-2018, 16:20   #7

Wow - what a thoughtful and interesting reply! I can tell I like you already and we haven't even met! ;-)

We ARE gonna just do it! Soon! So soon I can taste it! I'll shoot you a PM...
Old 31-01-2018, 16:40   #8

Oh - and I think if you included that good lookin' Aussie, it'd be a real value add! ;-)
Old 31-01-2018, 16:55   #9

PM sent...
Old 31-01-2018, 20:32   #10

An item (such as a boat, car, whatever) is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Nothing more and nothing less ...
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 15:56   #11

Santiago:

So brilliant! "It is worth what someone is willing to pay"...I only know what we were willing to pay and the upgrades (which are completely different than maintenance). We have done the math, and it is all good.

New Price $299,000.

What is someone willing to pay?

That is a tough question. Let me know. I am on the edge of my seat.

What you may not be able to factor in, Santiago, is timing. If in real estate it is all about "location, location, location". For a boat it is all about "timing, timing, timing". What we cannot know is life's challenges laid before us...for many health issues will direct their new normal.

So Santiago, what's your ride?

D
Old 02-02-2018, 22:43   #12

Your math - or more likely emotion, worked for you when you bought and apparently upgraded your boat. That said, what you put into your boat has little to do with what your final selling price will be as that solely depends upon what a prospective buyer will be willing to recognize and reward you via offer.

Never fall in love with something that cannot love you back. Boats being one example of many my friend.

I see peddlers trying to PR your way to a sale all the time. It's quite comical. Timing does matter as well as luck, location and, of course, the greater fool theory...

Your boat is worth what someone is willing to pay. That's fact! Not my rule as it's Econ 101.

As for me - most recently I swapped a Swan for Taswell roughly 6 years ago. I've sinned 4 times prior as boat owner/seller. My boats were always worth Mount Rushmore while those buying thought they were worth Camelback Mountain. It is what it is my friend!

Point being I believe with good fortune and a dose of humbleness the delta between expectation vs. reality will shine upon you.

Good fortune to you as fortunately for you the fields are full of dreamers and it only takes one to make your PR efforts reality.
Old 02-02-2018, 22:51   #13

Quick hint that always worked for me when peddling my boats - advertise an open house for your boat, pay for survey - this worked 1 time for me, offer refund within 15 days of sale (T&C apply), offer willingness to lease with intent to buy (T&C apply) - this worked 1 time for me, advertise at boatyards and with boat club tied to sale + charter - assuming you have one, if your a Captain then charter and make known that your boat is for sale - this worked 2 times for me. If all else fails, hire me as I'll sell your boat for alot less than a broker charges you while getting you more booty. Good luck Rocky ...
Old 03-02-2018, 06:26   #14

Santiago:

Your advice and opinions are valid. Thank you for sharing them. There may be plenty of people that read this forum that apply your ideas to their own situations. It is a blessing to have someone willing to relate his own real world experiences for others to learn by.

To add to your point (so that others may learn), my experience tells me of the 3 Ps of selling are Product, Price, and Promotion. I would add my own twist that it also includes Patience, Persistence, and People.

I can control the first 5, but I cannot make a buyer show up (people). I seems that the market (I don't think this is debatable, but it seems everyone wants to argue about everything these days) has been cycling towards catamarans. Not everyone of course, but a significant sector of the active buyers in this dollar range are looking that direction. I wish them well and hope they find what they are looking for.

On a side note, so that others may learn, emotion does indeed play a large part of the buying decision. It would be ludicrous to think otherwise. How much? Ah, now there is a good question, but indeed it is part of it.

I am not familiar with the term PR...share that one if you will so that I may learn.

By the way, humility is not my issue. As you will note in previous posts, I am looking for the price, but have not yet found the target, or more likely just have not found the "People". I am not delusional nor unrealistic in my expectations. I do however feel this "boat sale project" coming to an end. Life on a boat is awesome and we have enjoyed being Full Timers for ten years. I wouldn't have missed that for the world. We still have not ruled out keeping her.

All I need is one more viewing of Captain Ron!

Be well, and God Bless,
D
Old 03-02-2018, 07:40   #15

Agreed. Remain positive and do what permits you to sleep at night.